Sweets for the kiddies.....

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

GMotha

The nipples from Napels
Nov 3, 2001
Antwerp
gmotha.deviantart.com
banner2.jpg

Lruce Bee

Transcending to another level
May 3, 2001
Sherwood Forest
You really are struggling with lighting Lucifix - that much is clear and you can see from your last two screen shots that your rooms are either too light or too dark

Shot3 - shows very bright saturated walls and ceilings - but you'd need an extremely powerful light source to light a room like that - even daylight filtering through from an open ceiling would have trouble making a room that bright - so you need to think about this very carefuly

On the opposite end of the scale - in your last shot - you have lots of individual light sources lighting up the pillars - which is fine but you need to look at the surrounding area which appears very dark - dark areas in a map are cool but not at the expense losing architectural detail - dark areas are often used as a means for mappers to show lack of creativity by hiding huge areas of ceilings or voids because they don't know what to do with them - use dark areas sparingly - just as you would with light areas - its all about contrasts and harmony - it may be my brightness settings - but the last shot seems too dark for me - even in pitch black rooms - you can still make out details on walls and ceilings

The wall textures are simply over-used - you need some other architecture to break that up - When I make walls - I usually construct them 128 or 256 high and subtract another the same size above it just in case I need to change the texture - otherwise you end up with a wall 512 high with one texture placed on it - later on it's too late to do anything about it

Screen1 is a perfect example of this - Your walls from floor to ceiling encompass your field of view and it's just too overpowering and uninteresting - you must see this?

It doesn't help that the room is a simple subtracted cube with a couple of stairs in it - with more interesting architecture to break it up you might have got away with it but as it is - it kills my eyes

So - in summary and based on your screenshots - you can knock out a room with some simple architecture to fill it using the editor - but there just isn't enough content there to interset me at this point - Sorry

Lruce

lucifix

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
Nov 3, 2001
A Deeper Kind Of Slumber
www.geocities.com
Thanx for all the info Lruce....

The "lighting", yea it sux. I just started the lighting the same day I uploaded these screens, so hopefully the finished lighting will be better. And I'm going to even the light/dark areas out some.

As for the main rooms being huge subtracted cubes......I'm going to try and alter it some to make it a little more interesting.

You dont like it? :(