Unreal 2 vs. DooM III vs. Half-Life II

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

slarioux

UnF Bootcamp dude
Jan 13, 2001
www.planetfortress.com
Unreal II

I dont know, it could be all three really.... Doom is legendary, so I think it makes a very good chance.

HL is very popular, even today, so with a new and good engine they could win too.

Unreal II is probably the best. The q3 engine rules over Unreal ones at some points (admit it ;)), but it wont be used for HL2 or Doom3.

Other games, like RTCW and Halo, cant be count, because they aren't using their own engines, (RTCW is q3, i believe Halo does too).

Well, lets start some discussions!

PS. Does Unreal Warfare use the same engine as Unreal II?

Emjoi

Dec 27, 1999
Melbourne, Vic, australia
Warfare will use the same engine as U2.
But... U2 will be coming out well before UW, so expect UW to have a few more improvements.
Also, the Legend crew have their own quite good programmers. Epic is just supplying the base engine, and the Legend guys are tweaking it to suit themselves.

Doom vs HL vs Unreal.
*Shrug* I think you have there 3 big Fan groups. Alot of us have chosen which camp we are in, and will probably just pick up the next game that comes along in our chosen Religion.

I dont hate Valve or id, but I'm an Epic fanboy. I'm comfortable with the "Unreal" way of doing things.

theindianfakir

Crazy Psycho
Feb 1, 2001
Planet Earth
www.geocities.com
Re: Unreal II

Originally posted by slarioux
I dont know, it could be all three really.... Doom is legendary, so I think it makes a very good chance.

HL is very popular, even today, so with a new and good engine they could win too.

Unreal II is probably the best. The q3 engine rules over Unreal ones at some points (admit it ;)), but it wont be used for HL2 or Doom3.

Other games, like RTCW and Halo, cant be count, because they aren't using their own engines, (RTCW is q3, i believe Halo does too).

Well, lets start some discussions!

PS. Does Unreal Warfare use the same engine as Unreal II?

Hey who ever said that Halo uses the q3 engine. In fact the lead programmer for Bungie Jason Jones has been quoted so many times in CGW as saying that they almost always throw away their code and start from scratch when doing a new game. so there you have it folks an all new halo engine. and anyways from the look of the demo movies from http://halo.bungie.com i dont think the Unreal engine or the q3 engine can come even close.

Long Live Halo........ uhhhhhhhh never mind :)

PS: Dont you guys ever read CGW :(.

Leech

Eater Of Babies
Jan 31, 2001
Victoria BC canada
Visit site
*Ahem*
Halo 0\/\/ /\/ $ J00!!

err....sorry...had to be "l33ted" for people to totally grasp the fact that Halo DOES use it's own engine which is more powerfull than you can possibly imagine. (He's quoting star wars now? wtf??) Needless to say, Halo will dominate everything in it's path.
I personally garentee it.
However, I'm gonna play the living crap outta U2, you better belive it.
;)

slarioux

UnF Bootcamp dude
Jan 13, 2001
www.planetfortress.com
Ok, the message is arrived :)... Just i dont follow the Halo progress, so i didn't knew what to think from it.

Then Halo would make a good chance too :cool:

Originally posted by Leech
*Ahem*
Halo 0\/\/ /\/ $ J00!!

err....sorry...had to be "l33ted" for people to totally grasp the fact that Halo DOES use it's own engine which is more powerfull than you can possibly imagine. (He's quoting star wars now? wtf??) Needless to say, Halo will dominate everything in it's path.
I personally garentee it.
However, I'm gonna play the living crap outta U2, you better belive it.
;)

odie

Jan 31, 2001
Portland, Maine USA
Visit site
The future ... and beyond !

I just wanted to take this moment to share an idea with you that gives me great feelings. What we are seeing right now in the gaming world is the start of a vast and incredible thing. Slowly, those that are at the helm of this new 3D technology are ( maybe unknowingly) paving the way for an awesome future in the realm of virtual reality. Bit by bit, today's top gaming companies (Epic, id, valve,bungie,etc) are solving the problems of terrain, modelling, lighting, etc. Soon - maybe within the next 5 to 10 years - 3D engines will converge into one universally compatible "thing" .... like an operating system. Epic is solving problems of frame rate vs actor polygon count .... Valve, Legend, and G.O.D. are all leaders in engine-based cinematics ... id Software (at least by the sounds of this NEW DOOM) may solve the problems of dynamic geometry and destroyable architecture ... Bungie seems to have truly covered the whole vehicle thing .... WOW ! My personal vision is that in the future, there will be "The Engine", where game companies no longer have to toil with problems of frame rate, net speed, etc. Once all of the perfect solutions have been gathered together into one product, gaming of the future will be in the form of content-only packaging. Isn't it the greatest thing to know that other people in this world are hard at work to make sure that you and me can have the most realistic fragging experience possible !!! Three cheers for game programmers in general ----- hip hip hooray !!!!

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Throwing Halo into the mix takes away from what I think terranova was getting at. All three of those games (U2, D]|[ and HL2) are aiming for the best singleplayer game. That's where each game's heritage is.

No doubt they'll all get played online like crazy. But there is a tremendous investment in the SP portion.

I'll probably play U2 the most, but I can guarantee I'll be playing Doom ]|[ a lot too. HL just doesn't do it for me. I'm not real big on realistic weapons.

KennyLives

Masterful You readit once!
Jan 31, 2001
NY
www.PlanetUnreal.com
To the MAX

I've been following the development of all these engines just like everyone here (when they release a lil news about them) but, does anyone know what Max Payne will be built on... ? I have to say, Max Payne was the only thing I've seen to rival Halo and I'm lovin Halo.

I'm still not givin up UT2 though... I want to do a couple spinning kicks and then frag some ppl...
I still get teary eyed watching the demo. *sniff* sniff*

Likwid_Nitrogen

Feb 2, 2001
KY
www.likwidnitrogen.com
I will be thoroughly enjoying all of the games, and don't forget Team Fortress 2!

what a line-up

Halo
Max Payne
TF2
U2
DoomIII
Duke Nukem Forever (that will be good too)
RTCW
Half Life II

i bet the only one that will sell good is Half Life II, and maybe DoomIII. Good games always sell worse than crap games (like Millionaire or something).

ATR-SUNRISE

Feb 2, 2001
www.abovetheranks.com
Halo's engine is impressive but when you look at the type of game it is I can tell you already that it won't compare to U2. The preliminary videos show a military type style on a "halo" world. Right there they have already limited themselves to that genre. I am not saying this was unintentional, nevertheless though it still limits them. U2 on the other hand (if it's anything like unreal) uses a much broader scope of ideas (it's simly more imaginitive). By not setting your self in a single genre you leave yourself open to a much broader customer base. I do believe halo is a good game and will have a community I just do not see as much potential for the title as I do U2.
As for the others; Doom 3 won't pose much of a threat as again that title doesn't hold much potential (you play it through, you meet your buddies on the net a few times and it's over :( ). Epic was smart in releasing info about uwar because now people will play u2 to get good at it and when uwars comes out they will have a feel for the game play. Titles like Halo are missing that.
So in conclusion these are my picks: Unreal2 in first place and Halo in second.

Emjoi

Dec 27, 1999
Melbourne, Vic, australia
I think Halo is a different style of game than U2.

U2 will be a story. It'll compete with the likes of Half Life and Duke 4.
Halo is a wargame. It'll compete with UT, Quake 3, Tribes 2, TF2, and probably Unreal Warfare (if guesses on what it is are on the right track).

Different animals.

Vortex

My last status sucked
Jan 19, 2000
Planet Express
Visit site
Hmm, I'd say that Doom 3 will have more in common with U2 than it will with Halo. After all, U2 and Doom 3 are both FPS's, right? After all, what will you be doing with U2. You play it through and you meet your buddies on the net a "few" times. Well, perhaps more than a few. Anyway there's always the community that will make all those extra mods and maps. So, Halo is something different altogether, while Doom 3 should go along with U2, Half-Life 2 and the like. Of course, it also depends if anyone is still interested in playing a Doom game. I can name one person who isn't...

Status
Not open for further replies.