UE3 - UT3 Beginner- help with triangles?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Danja

Mar 16, 2008
Near Toronto (Canada)
I'm making my first map with the new editor, and with the 2D shape editor gone I dont really know how I can make triangle corners.

Heres what I have: I have 2 hallways that I want to connect with a diagonal hallway, in such a way that I would need a triangular prism to do.

Help appreciated

P.S: I'm Big Red Button, this is my new account.

Cryosis

Jan 19, 2008
Usually I just create a square, then move one of the corners between the adjacent corners. creates a triangle

virgo47

Waiting for next UT
Jul 5, 2005
Bratislava, Slovakia
members.clanci.net
He probably wants those corners that make original face octagonal. I'd go for 3d cutting tool - check attached picture. Carefully place all three cutting points + check normal before apply.

Attachments

• trianglecorner.jpg
    trianglecorner.jpg
    112.1 KB · Views: 23

Optimal134

Apr 5, 2004
www.optimalvisions.tk
Help with triangles

I think the real question is.... where is the 2d shape editor tool for ut3 how are you suppose to make unique curves and shapes now for corridors and such.....:(

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
I think the real question is.... where is the 2d shape editor tool for ut3 how are you suppose to make unique curves and shapes now for corridors and such.....:(

there isnt one anymore which I dont know, it was so usfull.. ahh the good old days.
but yeh use the cutting tool

Optimal134

Apr 5, 2004
www.optimalvisions.tk
Bazzwano you mean the geometry tool ? how do you make extended curved halls, join small sections together? Oh and by the way youre maps are incredible! play them all the time on the beach party server.... instagib :)

Last edited:

Optimal134

Apr 5, 2004
www.optimalvisions.tk
Awsome work angel;)...Thank you for youre response,why did they remove the 2d shape editor it would be great to have a comprehensive tutorial on making unique shapes with the ut3 editor..

Last edited:

Wormbo

Administrator
Staff member
Jun 4, 2001
Germany
www.koehler-homepage.de
I'm making my first map with the new editor, and with the 2D shape editor gone I dont really know how I can make triangle corners.

Heres what I have: I have 2 hallways that I want to connect with a diagonal hallway, in such a way that I would need a triangular prism to do.

Help appreciated

P.S: I'm Big Red Button, this is my new account.

Use a 3-sided "cylinder" and move the vertices so they form the shape you want.

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Bazzwano you mean the geometry tool ? how do you make extended curved halls, join small sections together? Oh and by the way youre maps are incredible! play them all the time on the beach party server.... instagib :)

thanks for that comment.. um yes the geometry tool has a cutting tool.. but wormbo is right you can start with a triangle his way.. I personally put a cube into place and cut corner to corner.. if i need to. well for a curved hall way.. what I did in dreary was make a cylinder with like 32 sides and a hollow center... then I cut it in half and then in half again.. this creates a curved hallway... after I meshes my map I ended up replacing that BSP with a square. make sence? but if you want curved BSP no I didn't paste pieces side by side
crvedew2.jpg

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Thank you Bazzwano for youre response i understand, but how do you add vertices to make a curved ceiling for the hall or add vertices to the sides.

you mean for my example? im not sure what you mean.. well in the geometry editor, there is a mode that will render the sides of your builder brush (making it look like a red block), i forget what this mode is called, when you open the advance options diolog on the geometry tool you can click a surface and extrude.. making more pollys. I personally dont do this.. if the vertex's for my shape is on the grid ( my BSP is mostly square shapes) then i would just place a new brush next to it, that way its more editable, because once you make a polly Iv found deleting a Polly makes holes. that may not be what you want.

you can consider creating a spher and cutting it in half..

I would like to point out. the the BSP for all my maps is very simple.. i suggest you have a look in the editor so see that you dont need to make complex BSP to make a good map. in fact its a very bad thing to make complex bsp.. thats what meshes are for.

if there is a particularly shape you wana make but dont know how.. then ask

Last edited:

Bazzwano

Hi, I'm Bryan
Jan 20, 2008
New Zealand
Yes for youre example:) say i wanted to have a curved room with a raised ceiling with angles and edges along the walls.

I know exactly what you want to do... but I cannot think of a way to do that, this is what the drawing tool was good at. the problem is that you could move the vertexes arround manully but that wont be acurate, you would see with the cylnder that the points dont all fall on the grid with a object like that.

This is the type of BSP that I donot know how to create, the type where you want a curve like a half curcle where the celling is also say a half curcle. Sorry.. i dont think you can acheve this with BSP anymore.. but might I add I dont even know what all the tools in the modifiyers panal do. the only ones iv ever used is extrude and cut.

but again.. you shouldnt need to make BSP like that.

There Is only one way that I can think of and it would be a long and complicated processing involving the creation of multiple sized cylenders and combining the soft selection tool with the size tool

Last edited: