ATI Radeon & Unreal

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Hawkeye74

Oct 5, 2000
Visit site
I got my new Radeon card installed today, replacing my TNT2 Ultra. I thought I'd share my results running Unreal.

First of all, the texture corruption (weapons, etc) and the tearing and other artifacts that occur with the nVidia drivers are now completely 100% gone with the ATI. I can now load up Nyleve's Falls and look straight down at the ground, and it's perfectly still (no tearing or "earthquake effects"). The weapons look perfect now also, and of course it's running faster than ever; no more skipping. Best of all is the overall image quality in 32-bit mode, which is breathtaking. Turn on FSAA and it's perfect, not a jaggie to be seen anywhere, even on the ridgetops. Of course not everything is perfect in Radeon land. When running in 16-bit mode the texture quality isn't very good. Also playing with FSAA turned on isn't practical since the FPS drops down into the single digits.

Overall though it's beautiful, fast, and completely stable. Just when I was beginning to think I'd have to get a 3dfx card to play it properly. By the way, I believe the Radeon D3D quality in Unreal is even better than running it in Glide. Two thumbs up for ATI; I'm a happy customer.

Just thought I'd share in case anyone is shopping around.

Hawkeye74

Oct 5, 2000
Visit site
No, the trees look great too. I couldn't find any visual problems at all in fact.

I'm guessing you are using the 2.26 patch; that's when I first got the black trees and skybox problems with my TNT2 card. Going back to the 2.25f patch fixed it, but I still had corrupted weapon textures and tearing. It's hard to find now though, but if you can I would switch to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.