Help! Crappy laptop / Crappy performance

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SexPistol

Apr 14, 2003
Visit site
i have a PIII 1.6 GHz compaq laptop with 512mb of RAM. i suppose the video device is what's called "VgaSave". i have my desktop set to 16 bit 1024x768, and INF is running OpenGL in 16 bit with low detail textures/skins. i'm getting about 10-15 fps max, running 640x480 or 800x600... really blows for trying to play INF with.

anyone have any suggestions or tweaks that might improve gameplay? i've tried chris' latest OpenGL which doesn't work at all with my setup -- all i get is a black screen.

here are a few screenshots of what i see when i play INF...

Attachments

• Shot0001.jpg
    Shot0001.jpg
    97.8 KB · Views: 32
  • Shot0002.jpg
    Shot0002.jpg
    110.1 KB · Views: 22
  • Shot0003.jpg
    Shot0003.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 17

mute_dammit

Just mute, dammit!
Sep 11, 2001
SexPistol said:
i suppose the video device is what's called "VgaSave".... i've tried chris' latest OpenGL which doesn't work at all with my setup -- all i get is a black screen.
Does your vid card support 3d acceleration at all? Those screenshots you posted all look a lot like software-mode, which is always painfully slow.

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Nope, that's not software rendering. Try setting UseTNT=1 in your Infiltration.ini in either the OpenGL or D3D section, see if that helps. And be sure to turn off anything that looks like it could slow it down (Trilinear, VolumetricLights, Coronas, CurvedSurfaces etc).

The only other thing I can suggest is a driver update, but they're usually few and far between for notebook video chips.

Kind-of OT: I didn't know they made PIIIs at 1.6GHz. Are you sure that's what you've got?

EDIT: Besides, that map is almost bound to give slow peformance. Heck even on my not-so-old PC it struggles a bit sometimes.

Also, sorry if it's a bit obvious, but make sure the notebook is plugged into the mains - this should stop it underclocking the CPU to save battery life.

Last edited:
Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
I installed Inf on a couple of notebooks already and I found it takes at least a GF2Go or an Ati Radeon mobil to make it enjoyable, no matter how fast your CPU is :(

Only if you have a shared memory grafic 'accelerator' you might be faster with software render... but damn ugly.