BSoD in Windows XP

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
My computer crashed horribly today. My scanner software has always cause my computer to BSOD but this one was the big one. I rebooted as usual but just before it got to the windows xp screen it said file c:\windows\system32\config\system had been corrupted. Well after a few unsuccesful repair attempts, I have opted to reformat and install fresh.

Because I am sick and tried of losing data that I would like to keep (mp3, pics, docs, programs, etc.) I am going to purchase a new hard drive tomorrow and use my old one for backups.

What kind would you recommend? Keep in mind that it will be 7200 rpm and probably around 40 gigs. What brand is the best?

Also, what file system should I format my "backup" to? NTFS or FAT32? I'll be using NTFS and Windows XP for my fresh new harddisk. :( :mad:

FireSlash

Whats a FireSlash?
Feb 3, 2001
Central Ohio
www.unrealannihilation.com
i had this problem. its fixable.

you simply restore the system hive.

pop in your CP cd, choose repair.
it will take you to a prompt, log into your windows install.
(if i remember right)
now, change to c:\windows\system32\config. rename system.sav to system.sav.old, and system to system.old. now, copy c:\windows\repair\system (or was it restore?) to c:\wincows\system32\config.

if all goes well you should be booting now, but you mighy have to re-install some things depending on the last time System restore kicked in.

hope this helps either now or in the future.:)

TomWithTheWeather

Die Paper Robots!
May 8, 2001
Dallas TX
tomwiththeweather.blogspot.com
Originally posted by FireSlash
i had this problem. its fixable.

you simply restore the system hive.

pop in your CP cd, choose repair.
it will take you to a prompt, log into your windows install.
(if i remember right)
now, change to c:\windows\system32\config. rename system.sav to system.sav.old, and system to system.old. now, copy c:\windows\repair\system (or was it restore?) to c:\wincows\system32\config.

if all goes well you should be booting now, but you mighy have to re-install some things depending on the last time System restore kicked in.

hope this helps either now or in the future.:)

Yeah! Thats what I did! I was so happy until it was about half way throught the install procedure when two or three messages came up the said something about a fatal exception somewhere. I kept going with the install and it finished like normal but when it rebooted it loaded the install program again and started doing the exact same thing it did the first time. I let it reinstall twice, but nothing worked. :( So I put in my Linux Mandrake disk and formated the whole thing.

I kinda hyped about getting a new harddisk anyway. Ill probably make a dual boot system with Windows XP and Linux. :)

notintheface

pragma inline
Nov 19, 2001
Raleigh, NC
personal.bellsouth.net
Assuming that your using EIDE ATA 100 and not SCSI.

Goto http://208.158.105.29/P_949.htm

for:

IBM 60GB UDMA 7200RPM Ultra/ DMA/ EIDE Deskstar
-9.5ms 7200rpm 3year warranty Powerful solutions and innovations in desktop storage The Deskstar 60GXP provides high quality audio and video storage, superior digital content creation capabilities and significantly faster processing for multimedia and Internet applications. This new drive features enhancements such as low acoustics, reduced power and tagged command queuing. These improvements make the new 7200 RPM drive ideal for traditional desktop applications as well as for low-cost routers, entry-level servers and switches. Highlights: Capacity - 20 to 60 GB Rotational speed - 7200 RPM Interface - Ultra ATA/100 Sustained data transfer rates - 40 MB/sec Average seek time - 8.5 ms Product Specs:IBM Deskstar 60GXP at a glance Configuration Interface ATA Capacity ¹(GB) 60/40/20 Sector size (bytes) 512 Recording zones 18 Data heads (physical) 6/4/2 Data disks 3/2/1 Max. areal density (Gbits/sq. inch) 15.3 Max. recording density (BPI) 449k Track density (TPI) 34,000 Performance Data buffer ² 2MB Rotational speed (RPM) 7200 Latency (average ms) 4.17 Media transfer rate (max Mbits/sec) 494 Interface transfer rate (max MB/sec) 100 Sustained data rate (MB/sec) 20.9 to 40.8 Seek time (read typical) Average (ms) 8.5 Track-to-track (ms) 1.2 Full-track (ms) 15.0 Reliability Error rate (nonrecoverable) 1 in 10E13 Start stop cycles (load/unload at 40° C) 40,000 Power Requirement +5 VDC (+- 5%), +12 VDC (+10%/-8%) Dissipation (typical) Startup current (max A) 2.0(12v) Idle (W) 6.7(3,2,1 disks) Physical size Height (mm) 25.4 Width (mm) 101.6 Depth (mm) 146 Weight (max g) 590 (3 disks), 575 (2 disks), 560 (1 disk) Environmental characteristics Operating Nonoperating Ambient temperature 5 to 55° C -40 to 65° C Relative humidity (noncondensing) 8% to 90% 5% to 95% Maximum wet bulb (noncondensing) 29.4° C 35° C Shock (half sine wave) 55 G/2 ms 400 G (2, 1 disks) 350 G (3 disks) Vibration (random [RMS]) 0.67 G for horizontal, 0.56 for vertical 1.04 G Acoustics (idle) Bels 3.1 (3 disks), 3.0 (2 disks), 2.9 (1 disk)

For 120.00 + S/H

Also Cheetah makes some really fast drives, but the majority are SCSI. I mean 10,000 RPM for Ultra SCSI2 Wow.

Hope the repairs go well. :D

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Originally posted by TomWithTheWeather
I got new Maxtor 40gig 7200 rpm drive! Woohoo! :) I like it alot. Im using the old one for backups and maybe a linux partition in the future. Thanks people! :)

Yep, Maxtor is good.