Assassin's Creed 3

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
New cinematic trailer.
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-pUhraVG7Ow&feature=BFa&list=SPC3CB1943119D6D70[/M]
Seems like it's been cut oddly, maybe a fuller length one will come out nearer release.

Gameplay:
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gZrklEy9ohQ&feature=BFa&list=SPC3CB1943119D6D70[/M]

Additionally, whilst it's not that interesting that it's a PS Vita game(which is a shame)
They've awesomely released this new character.
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyITO-fFv9c[/M]
Great concept but shame i'll never witness it.

Last edited:

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
I love the gameplay trailer. AC3 is shaping up to be pretty incredible.

but I'm worried about this outdoor free-running aspect; across the trees and such.
this gameplay video they provided is clearly being played by someone who's very familiar with that level / mission. but for everyone else, the first time you see a mission, how are you going to know where to go? how do you know how to get around?

I mean, I've tried pausing the video before he starts free-running on the tree branches and I can't figure out where the "line" is, so to speak. the "line" being the path that you could take from one tree to the next. the guy playing obviously knows because it's someone who has worked on the game. but I'm a little concerned about how this is going to translate for the rest of us playing for the first time.

aside from the tree in the latter half of the video that is dead and bent over (acting like a ramp) it's not clear how you're supposed to figure out where to start free-running or how to advance. it already looks unrealistic, like most of those branches could not possibly support his weight; especially as he swings and catches one branch from the previous.
and then, once he's near the fort area, he takes this seemingly arbitrary route around the side to get in undetected. but I was looking at the radar map in the corner and around the environment in front of him and I couldn't figure out where the hint was. if the route he took was the ideal/secretive route, then I couldn't see how the average player (encountering that mission for the first time) would have found it.

these are my concerns.
I'm not sure how well I articulated them but I think someone must get it and share my concern.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
Damn this guy is brutal with the tomahawk.

Yeah Jacks, I was thinking the same thing concerning the paths. Maybe during the tutorial parts of the game, they will tell you to start going in the trees. And then on, the "start" of any type of tree-roaming is probably the same bit of "tree geometry," and the path through the trees may be readily apparent. Still, perhaps because the world is supposed to be more open, you are supposed to scout around for a suitable path forward. Who knows, maybe going from branch to branch isn't necessary to do most of the time. You didn't need to always go from rooftop to rooftop to follow someone or get somewhere in previous games. It just makes it much easier.

Concerning tree branch strength, it was a bit unrealistic that the branches didn't bend much (or even at all) when he was walking on them, but considering there were pretty precarious spots in the previous AC games where you thought would be weak but wouldn't break under the weight, I don't see too much of a concern with it. After all, tree branches are built to withstand major forces from the wind, rain, snow, ice, and even need to counterbalance the weight of the rest of the tree; while those lanterns you used to go around corners probably aren't built for a guy to swing on.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
I'm not too fussed about how obvious the free running in trees is. I'm sure there will be a visual identify in the same way that in the previous games "white-sheets" represented the start of a line... but that was only for suggested lines. It does rather look like "fallen" trees might be an identifier.

I always found that there was more than one way to get into a place. Whilst that might be the optimum route there may well be four others. That route at least you're prompted to take after giving chase to the soldier that ran away. (Who knows how far he'd have run if he hadn't been killed)

TBH, in all the previous games I've had scenarios where after a free-running string in the general direction of where I wanted to go, I have to stop and look around. It's not always just a matter of being prompted to take one line that takes you everywhere. For example there didn't appear to be any reason to take the guards out at the main entrance at all, considering he was meant to be "sneaking" in. In which case no prompt for how to approach them should be necessary as slaughtering them might be optional.

Captain Scibra

That Gravity Elemental
Jun 15, 2012
East Coast
Looks great, and with the trailers, you can now notice several Native American touches to the classic hooded "trench coat", which any outstanding features are probably assumed as unique to a tribe, or simply a signification to rank or honor.

Several overlooked facts I haven't seen mentioned when I read the whole thread, but regardless of the Templar association with the British in the colonial era, The Assassins are also against tyranny in general. The Templars are simply the common antagonist in the matter.

Also, the Assassins aren't ethnically bound. Their objective was a worldwide network, which naturally they slipped into the Americas under the cover of colonialism.

Also, it would appear that the free-running feature through the trees is well-designed, since, as shown, he can easily climb to a higher branch, to a parallel branch, or one that is offset and a little higher. Considering it is mostly trees, only a few urban-like elements remain, such as the cliffs acting like a large building wall. While it may be true that the ease is slightly fabricated, a quick eye ought to spot many useful features of the terrain while on the move.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Very little stabbing going on there :) And quite obvious it was in-game, still looks fun.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
"holy wow" in a good way?
I assume.

the game looks incredible.
my biggest concern after the tree-top path finding is the scope.

we see a lot of footage showing quite a variety of locations.
how many are actually going to be playable and how large they are will be anyone's guess. this could be one of those games that takes over 100 hours to beat (at a brisk pace) or we could be seeing a lot of cinematic fluff and filler.

it would be awesome if it was a massive game that spanned decades and visited over a dozen, fleshed out locations.
Revolutionary America makes for rich tapestry.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
The game looks awesome but the graphics and animations, especially in that trailer, looked pretty bad.

shadow_dragon

is ironing his panties!
"holy wow" in a good way?
I assume.

the game looks incredible.
my biggest concern after the tree-top path finding is the scope.

we see a lot of footage showing quite a variety of locations.
how many are actually going to be playable and how large they are will be anyone's guess. this could be one of those games that takes over 100 hours to beat (at a brisk pace) or we could be seeing a lot of cinematic fluff and filler.

it would be awesome if it was a massive game that spanned decades and visited over a dozen, fleshed out locations.
Revolutionary America makes for rich tapestry.
I read the story of AC3 covers about 30 years.
Also all the locations you see have summer and winter versions so you're likely seeing the same place in different seasons.

There's a commentary version of the gameplay video above which has got a lot of fluff but quite a bit of information too.
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GwnzRufewJU&feature=player_embedded[/M]
Nothing to enlighten you on how you path-find through trees i'm afraid.

The game looks awesome but the graphics and animations, especially in that trailer, looked pretty bad.
At worst i'd say adequate but I wouldn't say bad really.
I have to say the animations have looked a bit quirky in the gameplay videos and such though. Connor moves well and combat animations are good too but the NPC's often come across a bit robotic and there's a fair bit of clipping and... re-positioning? of actors so they can animate better. Like the gameplay video has Connor and a guard get repositioned to the left slightly when he performs a counter while another time a corpse sort of shifts suddenly after it settles moving half a foot up in the air because his head was on a log or something.

That doesn't break it for me though, the previous games suffered from such things and I still enjoyed them.

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
another new gameplay trailer.
this time we get a look at Connor killing Americans! and you thought the Red Coats were having all the fun...

[m]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GR0qAOF35V8[/m]

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
the masters of shitty, intrusive DRM?
not likely.

but Assassin's Creed is probably my favorite modern game franchise.
that and Grand Theft Auto. which is why I still bump the GTA V thread even though there's not much to report.

Sjosz

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Dec 31, 2003
Edmonton, AB
www.dregsld.com
The only thing I'm not sure about at this point is the naval warfare stuff, because it's largely unknown how it actually works, and the AC games haven't really been strong on the mini-game type stuff in my mind. The rest definitely looks fantastic.