FAMAS Acog & iron sights ?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Apr 2, 2001
Frankfurt/ Germany
Visit site
I just wonder if (in RL) one would be able to use the iron sights of a FAMAS when an Acog is mounted. Since the closer part is integrated into the handle, and the Acog is mounted atop of it, it would think that one still had the choice to aim through the Acog or the iron sights.

Imo it would be pretty cool if this was implented into Inf (if I am not mistaking about RL situation).

Any idea?

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
Is because the ACOG fixture block the line of sight of the Iron sight or because the front part of the iron sights blocks the ACOG line of sight? Or is it something else?

* Sorry for all the "sights" in the same phrase... it gets kinda confusing

** Before talking about in-game implementation, when you are not sure about RL, there's a weapon question topic in Other Topics forum.

spm1138

Irony Is
Aug 10, 2001
Visit site
andi2 said:
I just wonder if (in RL) one would be able to use the iron sights of a FAMAS when an Acog is mounted. Since the closer part is integrated into the handle, and the Acog is mounted atop of it, it would think that one still had the choice to aim through the Acog or the iron sights.

Imo it would be pretty cool if this was implented into Inf (if I am not mistaking about RL situation).

Any idea?

Then what would be the disadvantage to fitting an ACOG?

geogob

Koohii o nomimasu ka?
spm1138 said:
Then what would be the disadvantage to fitting an ACOG?

Bulk? Even more reduce field of view while using Iron sights. But it seems that it is not possible (ref Jaunty's post). I'm curious to know why. Is is simply because it makes no sense and it is not practical because of the reduce field of view (that would be a good enough reason for me anyway)

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
Given that he failed to provide any evidence, I’d say Jaunty’s just blowing smoke. Tiffy or Meplat should be able to answer this authoritatively; in the meantime, I’d say there appears to be no reason it wouldn’t work – the iron sight goes through the handle, while scopes are mounted on top of it.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
SaraP said:
Given that he failed to provide any evidence, I’d say Jaunty’s just blowing smoke. Tiffy or Meplat should be able to answer this authoritatively; in the meantime, I’d say there appears to be no reason it wouldn’t work – the iron sight goes through the handle, while scopes are mounted on top of it.

What blowing smoke? He asked if it was possible, I said no.

No because the ACOG blocks the line of sight from the rear apature to the front post. If you don't believe me, take a long hard look at where the holes and brackets are on the handle. There's no way those sights stay functional with an ACOG in there. I can't even find a FAMAS adapter for the ACOG on Trijicon's website, but I'm working on the assumption that since ShakKen made the FAMAS, there's a 1 in 2,000,000,000 that it's wrong in terms of scope placement. And if it is wrong, it was probably done on purpose for a gameplay related reason.

As it exists in game, the ACOG lays smack bang in the middle of the LOS for the iron sights, meaning the only decent rifle around where you get a scope AND iron sights at the same time is still the immortal AK family. Viva la Russia!

The only evidence I found re: scope mounting is this picture, where the G2 commando has a reflex type sight mounted above the handle. It's a different rifle, though.

Meplat

Chock full-o-useless information
Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Jaunty's right. The ACOG 's I'm familiar with (the little 4X32's seen on the M4's) actually have backup "iron" sights as part of the housing. They even have neat little tritium elements for the front post.

One could mount an ACOG on a see through style mount, but that'd be putting it uncomfortably high, especially on a FAMAS. I understand there is a mount for the ACOG, using the "U" channel of the M-16's carrying handle/rear sight, but I have'nt handled one. Even so, it's not that hard to rip the little monster off if it gets damaged. I for one would'nt want to be dealing with cricking my neck trying to squint at irons through a see through mount, when I have a very good optical sight handy.

Meplat-

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Sara- I'm sure he was relating it to my comment on the '16's carry handle mount, and the possibility that a FAMAS could use a similar design.

Meplat-

Spier

Mar 9, 2003
Visit site
OICW said:
I was under the impression that the screw attaching the ACOG to the M16 carrying handle blocked the rear sight.
As Meplat said, for the AR15 family there is a mount designed specifically to allow the useage of iron sights with an ACOG mounted. I wouldn't be suprised if it would also work on a FAMAS.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
Last I heard, the default method to mount an ACOG to an AR-15 carry handle was via a screw through the hole in the carry handle and into the sight. Aside from being stupid, it's redundant since a flat top receiver makes a whole heap more sense if you're gonna be throwing optics onto an AR-15.

The only hole I've seen in the FAMAS carry handle is on one the side of it, and I've got no idea why it's there. There might be one on the underside ala AR-15, but I don't know.

Meplat

Dec 7, 2003
Phoenix,Arizona
Jaunty- *nods* They're mainly on flattop variants, at least the ones I saw. I was never really a fan of putting optics(Save NVG) on a '16 anyhow.

Meplat-

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
I just think that putting optics on top of the carry handle places them too far above the bore axis. It's fine on a flat top, since their much closer. The exception is the mount for the Reflex which lets you mount it on a fixed loop receiver.

5eleven

I don't give a f**k, call the Chaplain
Mar 23, 2003
Ohio
Visit site
Maybe I missed something here, and I realize the question was about the FAMAS, which IRL I know nothing about.

However, I do have a Competition HBAR AR-15, which has the option of a flat top receiver. However, I do have a sort of L-shaped rail which is affixed to the top of the carrying handle, via the hole in the middle of the carrying handle. It's hollow through the middle........then drops at the forward portion of the handle. On that forward end, I have a red-dot scope mounted. The way the rail is made and it's positioned, I can use either the red-dot or irons.

Of course a red-dot has no magnification, but I like using it in certain situations just for point shooting on the move and rapid target acquisition. For longer shots, I can either use them together, or just turn it off.

I just liked that idea, and would rather have the option of using irons, rather than mounting a scope on the flattop.

Sorry Jaunty, if I just basically said what you did in my explanation. I was gonna try to get a pic of it and post it...............