Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad releasedate

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

zeep

:(
Feb 16, 2001
Visit site
Since Tripwire will support mods and tools/sdk;

Can we organize a small dev team to make a modern arms mod for RO2?
There are a lot of mechanics already in place in the game's core so things such as movement / damage / recoil / weapon resting can be tweaked to liking i guess.

Just modern weapon models, sounds and skins and a basic randomteamspawn and dtas mod would already get us going i guess. Tanks etc can stay out as far as i'm concerned.

Matiwas

Jun 2, 2009
Played the original RO, liked it.
I'm in, eventhought I propably can't do shit. :/

Last edited:

-RoMe-infers

Nov 12, 2003
Paris
Visit site
i would be in too. I would looove it. I already dream of it. AND it can be done.
As RO2 has already some really good gameplay mechanics, we wouldn't need the amount of work that a 'from scratch' mod would need.

We could start pretty humble but efficient simply with:
#1.Modern Weapon modelling/coding
#2.Modern soldier skin.
That represent some work of course but i think thats far more doable than creating a whole new mod.
I'd say that #1 and #2 would be enough for a start, and to have a huge amount of fun.

At the beginning we don't really need to make new maps. No need for new sounds either. And we can stay very far from vehicules as tripwire team themselves said it was a huge work and effort to make them.

Hell, we could even justify the fact of using some old weaponry/vehicules by any post-Apo/Civil War scenario!! (or any other you think of)

I would be really excited to see that pragmatic type of project coming out.

BTW, Did you guys checked the IN COUNTRY mod for it? Vietnam war... yessss. And they seem quite serious people as Tripwire support them.

Last edited by a moderator:

Coop-Stogie

Dec 7, 2008
Send me into the construct and upload everything i need to know about modding in my brain.
Srsly, my modding knowledge is beyond everthing, i`m working on a BF 2 Mod atm but only tweaking around in the weapon files :/

b-boy_fuj

Jun 19, 2001
Visit site
There is already a vietnam mod in the making for RO2 @ http://incountrymod.com/

Soon after the release of RO2 there will be 3 mods released that got access to RO2 mod tools + official support from the devs long time ago:

1. Aforementioned Vietnam mod
2. Pacific WWII theater
3. WWI mod

Mercie

Jan 18, 2005
Another option for modelling... Since it usually takes one person a bit to do it well... Some projects I have worked on required modelling and so we outsourced it. Got a good group of guys that knock out good looking guns for $100. That cuts time needed for modders down quite a bit. At that point, they will need animations and data files as well as sounds. Seems much less daunting at that point.

Kickstarter anyone? Haha.

Matiwas

Jun 2, 2009
@ Phatcat OMG! you'r the author of smod? Loved it! Hated it because of no multiplayer. :)

Since it seems to me that many are getting RO2 should we make a steam group for that or something? Assuming everyone is getting it trought steam... :p

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
Have you heard about "In Country: Vietnam" mod for RO2 that is going to be released soon after the RO2 release date?

In my opinion it could be the best next thing to Infiltration for the foreseeable future. I started a thread there asking devs if they are striving towards simulation with this mod -- I also linked excellent articles by dsleyxci showing how tactical gaming should be done right. If you can please join in the discussion there and let the devs know that striving towards maximum realism can be a trustworthy goal.

http://forum.incountrymod.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=335

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
Since Tripwire will support mods and tools/sdk;

Can we organize a small dev team to make a modern arms mod for RO2?
There are a lot of mechanics already in place in the game's core so things such as movement / damage / recoil / weapon resting can be tweaked to liking i guess.

Just modern weapon models, sounds and skins and a basic randomteamspawn and dtas mod would already get us going i guess. Tanks etc can stay out as far as i'm concerned.
Honestly, I don't see it coming zeep. Crowze has no time, Beppo wont touch anything Tripwire/RO and realistically spoken, even a most minimalistic INF mod is tons amount of work and if you don't go far enough you end up with just RO2 plus custom guns and few tweaks that likely wont hold up to the name "INF".

I always say keep it simple, few guns, one map, player model, that's it, but these minimum of things need a particular level of quality, which requires for a solid team to work on.

I would love to see it happen, but I kinda see it realistic (or is it just pessimistic? I feel like sometimes there is not much difference). Time will tell I guess.

andy_kosela

Jul 31, 2011
I always say keep it simple, few guns, one map, player model, that's it, but these minimum of things need a particular level of quality, which requires for a solid team to work on.

Unfortunately when I think about it I must agree with you Psychomorph. I also do not think now that modding RO2 or even In Country:Vietnam would be a good idea to create INF3.

The most striking thing that we still miss here is that those games will not be based on modern warfare theme -- that means we would need a *very* considerable amount of coordinated work from many people to create models for modern guns, camos; even maps would have to be completely redone to match modern environments. It would take months at least to do that taking into account there would be a very dedicated and skilled team to do that in the first place.

Honestly I think it would be much easier to mod upcoming Battlefield 3 considering the fact that all models and modern environment would be basically already there. We would only need to add things like freeaim and realistic movement speeds and of course tweak those weapons to match them to realistic parameters.

But it also won't happen because Digital Illusions is not releasing any mod tools for Frostbite 2.

There are some experimental mods for CryEngine that offer freeaim and realistic movement, but gathering them all into one place or rewriting them to create some serious reality mod is not gonna happen any time soon also. I don't know of any serious team who would be working on that in the new CryEngine Sandbox. Crysis is still too much sci-fi especially in the case of character model to really take it as-is into reality mod without *much* rewrite. And I bet they will not let civilians use and mod the work Crytek done for the US Army recently.

So it's very possible to create such INF-like mod in CryEngine, but it would also mean a ton of work.

The same situation or even much worse situation is with UDK. As far as the Source engine the only reality mod I have heard of is Insurgency. And that is basically crap when compared to INF.

We can also wait for Ground Branch and Project Reality 2 (based on C4 engine) but I don't see them around for the next two years or so. Arma 3 in my opinion still will not deliver realistic CQB -- it will be just a more graphically advanced Arma 2.

The overall situation is not very optimistic if you ask me.

Last edited:
Apr 21, 2003
Europe
I think we should differentiate here. Infiltration 3 can be only developed by the official Sentry Studios team and I can't imagine it to be a small mod for RO2 or something like this. INF3 would need to be a major project and UDK would be the best option. But, this needs a major team and the main (remaining) Sentry folks to return and show the world how it's done. It doesn't look very likely for this to happen in the foreseeable future.
On the other hand there can be a community made spiritual successor (not officially INF), which can be as minimalistic as acceptably possible. I still think that Crysis (1) would be awesome. It is older and runs well on current day machines, but in my opinion looks as brilliant as a recent release.

Do we really need more?:

[SCREENSHOT]http://img211.imageshack.us/img211/769/crysis1da1.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

[SCREENSHOT]http://img78.imageshack.us/img78/659/crysis5im5.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]

http://discussions.hardwarecentral.com/showpost.php?p=1035146&postcount=57

DeMachina

gone
Sep 1, 2001
Québec,Canada
Anyone else has been playing the beta?

After a long break from PC FPS (~6 years), I bought RO2 hoping that it would be anywhere close to what INF was. It's disappointing for now even without the game-breaking bugs.

Last edited: