Deus Ex 2: Invisible War

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
RAWKS!

that's all I have to say about that. I can't believe people are complaining about it being dumbed down...it's like exactly the same with a couple of options taken out. If Deus Ex was Chocolate Cheesecake with whipped cream topping and chocolate chips and hot fudge, then Deus Ex 2 is all the same without the chocoalte chips :)

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
Yeah, I'm with you Brizzy - I can't wait to get my hands on the full version after playing the demo.

I do think it's sad that Ion Storm couldn't muster a better PC release - seems very lazy to have bad ini setups between platforms, but it's not the worst crime in the world.

Hedge

Wish I was with her
Sep 12, 2003
out in the boonies
Visit site
Ion Storm did something funny with the ini files in the final release. When you start the game a set you options in the menu, everything is cool, but then you start the game again, the menu is running at the default resolution. This problem really erked me until I loaded a saved game. Then all my saved settings came back. Does that make sense? It will only use your settings in the game, the menu will always use the default settings. I still very much like this game.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
I heard the final version had many of the same problems as the demo, which is - in a word, dumb.

Make sure that your ini files aren't write protected. There's also several threads at the Ion Storm forums about tweaking the demo which may apply to the full game.

Hedge

Wish I was with her
Sep 12, 2003
out in the boonies
Visit site
Actually, I haven't found the problems that existed in the demo in the final version. Some of the things that people thought to be problems were really just Ion Storms weird way of doing things. I think some people just want to rip on the game because they a whinners and have nothing else to do.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I've loved everything aout this game so far. Especially the real time shadows (even though they sometimes drop me to 15fps :p).

I'm sure we'll be seeing a couple patches (or more) to fix the ini and things, It looks like they didn't have time to release any of the debugging code or anything before release...stupid Eidos must have been chomping at the bit with it.

Still it's a great game. I love it.

CiD

I'm on Offense!
Dec 28, 2003
it is a truly great game.ive found 5 endings so far(1 is kind of a joke,IMO).playing through again to see if there are any other variations to the story line.very addicting.

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
I'm nearing the end of the game now, my first run through.

Pros:

This is pure Deus Ex in terms of style of story. Complicated, but in a fun, nearly campy way - the multiple conspiracies and even the high brow philosophy is pure entertainment, not annoying dribble.

Immersion is quite high, and that "intimate" quality to the levels Spector spoke of is definately in full effect.

Production values for the voices, artwork, etc. seem quite high - and there's no skimping on work to allow for multiple outcomes to nearly any scenario, no matter how remote it might seem ( killing a character early in the game, etc )

Some of the tie-ins and inside jokes to the first game are glorious.

Combat is usually highly fun, especially later on in the game when you are properly bio-modded up and can seriously whup ass.

Cons:

Unified ammo can drain all your weapons at once.

Lack of skill tree lowers character development and flexibility.

Performance hog.

Overall, it's a good to great game. I argue heavily against people who say it's too short. If you beat this game in 10 hours, as I've heard some reviewers quote, you aren't seeing all of the game. This isn't a pure shooter, the goal isn't to get to the end as quickly as possible.

I can half agree with some of oversimplification complaints. The unified ammo is lamentable and the lack of Spector's innovative skill system is regrettable. I hacked around the ammo with a simple ini tweak that simply fills my ammo full when I pick up any clip. (I'm playing on realism mode and it's standard setting empties your ammo pretty much after any fight). The lack of skills isn't really a negative to the game as it plays, but if it were included it would expand the replayability even more.

I had no problems with the GUI or the Inventory screens at all.

I do regret that Ion Storm fiddled with the renderer so much. Yes, some of the scenes look great - but it caps the performance too much and was apparently the root cause of no DeusED being shipped. SP and side missions would be fun to make here.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I'm stuck on it, I am on the Germany level, the mission where you go to the templar church and have to get that infomation that is inside the church. I got the infomation but now I am lost. I can't seem to find the way back to the German city. :con:

RegularX

Master of Dagoth Lies
Feb 2, 2000
Chicago, IL
You've saved Holiness/Donna? Or am I thinking the wrong place.

Also - did the Mag Rail secondary work for anyone? I swear I never shot through a single wall.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Ok I found out what to do. I never tried the mag rail, i'm afraid to because it might waste all my ammo.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
I shot through the wall on the level in the airport place to get rid of people in the locked dock because I kept getting killed climbing up the ladder (where you save Paul).

Worked nicely I guess, it does waste all your ammo.

wildfrogman

Sep 30, 2001
usa
Visit site
lol, this brings back memories...from two years ago... Anyways, how'd you find a 2 year old thread?

Its a much better game once patched than when released, runs great on ati cards and is cheap yet makes you think a bit...weird storyline.