Spider Mines [trap]

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I've never been the biggest fan. They bugged me less in 2004 because at least then they were limited to the gun which meant you needed to guide them, you could lob them directly at players like a bio blob and also it meant you had to be alive for them to be effective.

In UT3 they take even less skill to use as they are totally automated with no need for guidance and you don't even have to be in the vicinity or even alive :con: for them to work - the part which bugs me specifically about these automated frag collectors is that you can't bloody destroy the thingy they emit from!?

Why on earth is that;- and does anyone else agree, you should at least be able to destroy the spidermine emitter/trap/deployable?
It doesn't make any sense not to be able to.

I can destroy 2 story high giant attackers, shoot a deemer mid flight, take down a rolling fortress and nuke a power core, but this little stupid arachnid dispenser that was dropped on the floor is impervious to anything I throw at it?
How does that work?

I see absolutely no reason why if I find the spider emitter I shouldn't be able to destroy it. That way too you could almost attribute a skill to using spidermines and that would be that you've managed to hide the emitter somewhere clever...

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Spider Mines should disappear from the face of UT3. They are so goddamn ****ing annoying.

Last edited:

G.Lecter

Registered Tester
Dec 31, 2004
Spain
www.oscarcrego.com
I guess if you were able to destroy the trap, it would then be utterly useless (too easy to destroy). I see the mines as a deployable meant to make a whole area not acessible to pedestrians... they could have used a kill volume instead, but the spider things look cooler, and you have at least a chance to destroy them. :p If you see a spider-trap, just don't get too close to it or ride a vehicle instead...
Are they ridiculously easy to use? Yeah, but at least they're now limited to a single trap per nightshade... They're still my least favourite among the deployables, but if they had not been overpowered, the Nightshade might have become a totally ignored vehicle... In DM, however, I think all they do is ruining maps (EdenInc ;)) that would otherwise have been great... :tdown:

dub

Feb 12, 2002
I realise that to a lot of people the spiders are just annoying full stop but I doubt they aren't going to disappear from the game any time soon.
In fact if the trap were destroyable I wouldn't really mind them that much.
[SCREENSHOT]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9529/spydah.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
:p

I guess if you were able to destroy the trap, it would then be utterly useless (too easy to destroy)
But it wouldn't. It'd just be less easy to get a kill. It worked in 2004. If you destroyed the source (the player with the mine gun) no more mines. No different or?
Also it's not just the Nightshade/bender you got the pickups too, remember.

Last edited:

Northrawn

Feb 21, 2009
I realise that to a lot of people the spiders are just annoying full stop but I doubt they aren't going to disappear from the game any time soon.
In fact if the trap were destroyable I wouldn't really mind them that much.
[SCREENSHOT]http://img17.imageshack.us/img17/9529/spydah.jpg[/SCREENSHOT]
:p

But it wouldn't. It'd just be less easy to get a kill. It worked in 2004. If you destroyed the source (the player with the mine gun) no more mines. No different or?
Also it's not just the Nightshade/bender you got the pickups too, remember.

In UT2004 you could also destroy the Mines themselves. But... ...you at least need to have a little bit of skill to destroy them. If you were too close you still got damaged. That was a much, much, much, much, much, much better solution than it is in UT3.

Fuzzle

spam noob
Jan 29, 2006
Norway
There's not really one big central factor I dont like about them, but the combination of the little things.

They're hard to spot. They run so fast that to blow them up with a rocket or flak shell, you are hurting yourself. You can't blow up the emitter (which is really goofy when someone places one at your node or whatever).

I'd put a light on them, sorta like the 2k4 shoulderlight, *or* lower their speed a tad, *or* make the emitter destructible.
Or a combination of those.

Dark Pulse

Dolla, Dolla. Holla, Holla.
Sep 12, 2004
Buffalo, NY, USA
darkpulse.project2612.org
I do think the trap should be destroyable, but it should have a damn lot of armor to it - at least as much as a node (1500-2000, somewhere around there.)

Making them easier to spot would probably help, too.

That said, I'm pretty sure it runs out after either 2 minutes deployed or 15 mines coming out, whichever comes first.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
In UT2004 you could also destroy the Mines themselves. But... ...you at least need to have a little bit of skill to destroy them. If you were too close you still got damaged. That was a much, much, much, much, much, much better solution than it is in UT3.

You can still destroy them in ut3, just shoot at them when they emerge from deployable, usually link gun is useful. if you will kill enoug of them the deployable will then disappear.

WildmouseX

Mar 30, 2004
also too you can aim/control where they go - the difference between 2k4 and ut3 is that now anyone on the team that deployed it can control them by using the aiming laser from the AVRL secondary fire - instead of just the guy that has the mine gun.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
Spider Gun had some balance compared to the UT3 Deployable. Plus, the 2k4 spiders were easier to see and not as fast as the new ones.

Apr 11, 2006
Spider Mines don't belong in this game at all, in my opinion. Neither in a gun nor as a deployable. True fact: There are already 8-10 weapons specifically designed to kill on-foot players. I am really not sure why anyone would need more than that.

Funny how Epic has always been resolute in insisting that static automated defenses (auto-turrets, etc) are not "fun" and won't be incorporated into the game -- But that's essentially what SpiderMines are. Except it's not limited to defense, and is most often used simply to spawn rape players with virtually invisible little black auto-homing missles. And you can't even destroy the deployable.

Last edited:

Unknown Target

Jan 22, 2008
The best defense, I've found, against spider mines is simply to run away. They have a pretty limited range and once you walk far enough away, they'll just leave you alone.

Hedge-o-Matic

Dec 29, 2000
Visit site
Spider mines are great, I think. Here's why:

They're scary looking.
They're scary sounding.
They've got an awesome kill animation.

To everyone who thinks they're too powerful, or trying to rally the troops to dumb them down and weaken them, I offer the following advice:
1.) Be cautious where traps are likely to be set.
2.) When pursued, just backpedal, and lob flack shells, rockets, shock balls, or bio-goo at them. You only have to get sorta close to destroy them.
3.) To evade them, simply run out of range without any hesitation. They won't stray far from the hive. Or you can go round corners and up obstacles, sicne they don't maneuver as well as players do.
4.) If you've been killed by a mine in a certain area, use your head when you return there.

Mr. UglyPants

2007 never existed, it was all a dream.
Aug 22, 2005
Canada... eh
Btw, since when did UT3 have spidermines? Like i played DM-OceanRelic last nite, and for the first time ever did i see a 'you were killed by a spidermine'.

Alhanalem

Teammember on UT3JB Bangaa Bishop
Feb 21, 2002
Ivalice
on DM it's easy enough to just avoid where it was placed. In fact, rarely is the trap placed more than like 10 feet from where it spawns.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I like the spidermine drill animations when you die, but that's about it. When I got UT3 I spent so much time trying to destroy the darn thing when I finally realised it wasn't possible.
It should at least be destroyable. As long as the slow field, EMP, X-Ray, etc.