The behaviour of some clans is killing UT!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Rene~M

Mar 30, 2000
www.electrogenesis.com
Is it just me or there too many clan's made up of cocky teenagers? Just played a match against Clan Name Unknown and the whole game they kept dissing us. Now, we have not been practicing for a while, and of course we don't have TL binds, so we expected to lose. But at least it was supposed to be fun and maybe learn something other than 'You Suck' or constantly being reminded of the score. Which was about 20-0 for CNU (I'll save you the time and post the score, CNU).

I finally had to say something at the last 5 minutes of the 30 minute game. To the suprise of the other team. 'Why are you saying that' is the response I got from ^CNU^Shifter. Right, I didn't mean to offend, sorry.

Also, this team tried to sneak a spectator in too!? I couldn't even join their server. I thought is was my UT acting up about the password, but their admin said it wasn't after I joined and that he knew what it was. Sure, I'm in the game, thank you. :)

Constantly, saying crap... ACK!

Our last few games have been this way, playing against cocky teenage clans who mouth off during a match and make it as un-fun as possible.

Rene~M

Mar 30, 2000
www.electrogenesis.com
continued...

We have beat clans badly too and it turned out they wanted to practice with us, because we didn't treat them like crap!

If you gamers EVER expect to get respect for playing 'games' you REALLY need to grow up! Q3 clans have learned this lesson and now it is THE game for tourneys. UT is a spectator sport if anything. Our clan has won a trip to Korea for Q3 and UT. tourney here paid the SAME money for both, but in Korea UT is only going to be an exhibition match! FIFA is getting prize money in Korea! Goddamn FIFA!!! XTGL seems to have even removed UT as one of their ladder games too. :( Lame.

So, we have now removed ourselves from OGL CTF and decided to leave it to them. I personally dislike playing Q3, but the attitude is much better. And I am seriously considering to move away from UT. When Tribes2 comes out I will most likely say goodbye to you all. I remember the Tribes days. Mmmm...

What have you done to me!?!?!? :(
Good job CNU if this is the expected outcome of a match against you.

Sorry for the rant. I really can't stand these types of clan's. Please grow up, PLEASE. :(

Mr Z

Dec 3, 1999
Visit site
Damn that sucks, I used to play with Armenion on the Cain server and he always seemed to be cool. I'm retired now so it makes my decision feel even better.

[A$$]Infinity

Aug 15, 2000
Visit site
HAHAHA, those CNU guys are funny as hell!!! Only actually respectable player is armenion (that i've met)

Shifter
Realking
SDY

one more i can't remember - all talk about type kills (always starts chatting in the middle of a fight) and calling people lame (killing him when he's typing). And even if you go a whole game without saying anything, and totally beat their asses, they still gotta talk **** about how they weren't playing for 10 mins. It's all BS and it annoys the **** out of me!!!
And now i can see how lame they can be by using a spectator in a clan match.... ewwww

[OF]EASY_Target

Jun 17, 2000
Visit site
I hope you are not including us ......."the OLD FARTS Clan" in your assesment about clans, we only play to have fun, never take ourselves seriously.
But a gentle warning.. you better be good if you want to win.

LOL.

:)

This is a link to our Clan page

NOTE:We are moving our site to a new location, so this Link could be dead in the near future

http://www.unreality.org/ofc/

-BHS-Snowdog

Aug 2, 2000
www.wuher.com
Rene, check out the PG ladder if you're still interested in ladder play. The admins there run their league much like the folks run the forums here and they have no tolerance for antics such as you ran into. (Sorry if this seems like pimpage... :) ) The site is http://www.provinggrounds.com and as I said, the admins there have dedicated themselves to keeping sportsmanship and fun in clan competition. And no, I'm not on their payroll (perhaps this post will put me over the top. :) ) Hope to see you there.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
If a clan acts like that, it will not take long before they build themselves a reputation and no one will want to play them any more. They will, over time, disolve due to lack of anyone wanting to play them.

Quake has been around (in popularity) longer than Unreal/UT, and has had more time to evolve in "clan behaviour", so I wouldn't be surprised at your claim.

I personally have enjoyed Unreal more than Quake, and like the UT better than Q3 for personal reasons. That being said, nothing lasts forever. I started what was my first clan by recruiting people with a great sense of humour and good sportsmanship/attitudes. We haven't been winning a lot lately, but we will soon. We're having fun doing it too. I believe our clan will outlast UT.

As for the llama clan? I doubt they'll outlast the next month or two before they have to split up due to lack of willing opponents.

GunnerX

2345 Posts
Mar 14, 2000
Canadia
www.gunnerx.com
Rene~M, as being one of the clans that have been "beat badly" by you guys, I really feel sorry for what happened. Llama clans seems to be rampant in the UT world. That is also one of the reasons why we left OGL. Way too many llama clans there.

As for PG, yes, there are still llama clans there too. We just played one recently. It was 4 on 4 and we won the first map. The second map, we lost. However, on the tie breaker, we got a big lead early and two members of the other team just disconnected from the server!! Talk about unsportsmanlike conduct! I felt sorry for the other two members that were left there by their 'clanmates'.

As for clans that 'taunt' all the time, it seems that there's way too many of them. It gets really annoying. Everytime they kill you, they HAVE to taunt "Ha, ha, ha". So, I have bound "Boom!" and "Ha, ha, ha" so that I can taunt them back!!! :p

Rene~M, you really shouldn't let this things get to you. I still believe that the majority of the clans in UT are respectable. It's just unfortunate that these llama clans cannot be rid of. Join PG and you might end up liking it. :D If you find a llama clan there, let Binary know and he'll take care of them. :D

Take a break and play at the Roost to have some fragging fun. :D

Boom

Rumpshaking Moderator
Mar 28, 2000
Visit site
Morety, you never told me we were supposed to win. I thought we were supposed to just have fun.

Hmmm, I may have to bind my mousebuttons to "Fire" and "altfire" rather than just "Taunt thrust" and "taunt wave". ;)

Seriously, Rene, it sounds like your clan has the right attitude and stuff. Wanna scrim or play for funzies or something. Morety is our ph34rless leader, so I guess he would have to set it up.

UglyBagofMostlyWater

Amatuer Professional
Aug 29, 2000
Ohio
Visit site
Unfortunately, this isn't just limited to clan members, but also their servers and other non-clan players! AS an example, chatting in a game (especially LMS) seems to be a strategy now to either save lives (try fraggin' on of theses @$$es, and you'll be flamed the rest of your time on that server), or irritate the hell out of the players who are whooping butt till they leave.

I agree with Renee; the current online community is ruining a great game like UT. To the point where I only play on password protected servers who only accept honorable, good, skilled players.

IMHO, UT has become a mirror of society - it's kill and revenge no matter the cost. No honor, no respect, no courtesy. Just look at the growing number of skin cheats, t-killers, s-killers, piston gibbers, and campers. Unless the players and the server admins mature, and soon, I think UT will soon suffer from it's own popularity.

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
I have CNU Shifter's ICQ....

I actually just talked to him the other day about his and his clan's attitude. His response is the same as it always is. "Why are you saying that, I never did anything to you". or "I don't know what you mean". They try to play stupid, but they usually act like jerks. I played Shifter in a 1 on 1 once and he was pretty cool, but on Public servers he acts like a fool. And his clan usually follows suite, except for the guy that Infinity mentioned. I've also played him in 1 on 1's under different names and he acts the same as you mentioned above, although he'd deny it in a second. I'm glad someone else is finally seeing how this clan acts. There ARE alot of clans out there that are lame like this. If you're gonna deal with clans you WILL encounter it eventually. Just try not to judge ALL clans based on a few idiots playing style. ;)

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I don't think I'd go that far, UBOMW. The llamas will grow tired of their own antics and leave.

I mean, how fun is it to cheat online vs. compete online? Have you ever entered a cheat code in a game that was really tough, only to find out that you've ruined your own playing experience? I think that will happen as the llamas move on to other games.

[UJE]Crakdeala

doGlike
Sep 14, 2000
Alcatraz
oblivion.jamempire.com
The Jam Empire, of which UJE is a division, used to be the laughing stock of the gaming community. We have strict rules about in-game behaviour, and in chat we have protocol calling our superiors 'sir' (we have a military rank system). Of course, it is not enforced in a very strict way, but its there nonetheless. Many thought that to be funny, but look what we accomplished: a vast international Empire with over 100 members, age 15 to 50, who show outstanding sportsmanship and treat every opponent with respect. And we've been around for over 3 years! I think its the best online expierence there is... its very special to have friends who are your leaders, and to have friends who you lead.
It pains me to see other clans do quite the opposite, except that they usually die b4 reaching their 3rd birthday :)

"Sergeant-Major" Crakdeala

Wolf Blackstar

That other Wing Commander guy
Dec 13, 1999
Tau Ceti V
www.angelfire.com
AS an example, chatting in a game (especially LMS) seems to be a strategy now to either save lives (try fraggin' on of theses @$$es, and you'll be flamed the rest of your time on that server)

If you're just playing on a public server with llamas, go ahead and frag them anyway, then keep fragging them while they're flaming.... :)

-
chainsaw.GIF

bullet2.gif

]LoL[Wolf|PuF
Combo2a.gif

-]LoL[ Counter-Sniper and Shock-Ho

UglyBagofMostlyWater

Amatuer Professional
Aug 29, 2000
Ohio
Visit site
Perhaps you're right Hal, that is a bit extreme. But just look at the posts from earlier this year on this forum regarding game etiquitte and see what it has evolved to now. What Renee rightly complains about is becoming the norm from what I see as I once again play online and visit more servers.

It used to be the few who participated in these tactics, and you are correct, they would eventually either fade away or mature. Now, on some servers and by some clans, it is the majority, and it seems to be a growing trend (and by the deafening silence of the other players and admins, a more tolerable behavior).

Stosh

A legend in his own mind
Feb 9, 2000
Southern MD, US
clanci.xgshosting.com
That type of behaviour in a clan match is uncalled for. I don't like that in public games, however, it's at least expected. Send em to the llama farm.

I noticed type killing is resurfacing again. I have NO problem killing somebody who is typing. If your not in my path to the enemy base. If your out of the way somewhere. I would probably leave you alone. IF your anywhere near my base, or if your out in the open, (on my way to the flag) YOUR DEAD!!! Too bad. You should find somewhere to hide, then start typing.

Morety

The Farterator
Feb 23, 2000
Toronto
www.legionoflions.com
Type killing is more than acceptable in any team game. The guy's likely typing instructions to team mates.

In a ffa dm, I'll leave them alone, unless they've been spamming. I don't do a lot of dm anyway, so I'm a typekiller.

the6thfinger

Sep 18, 2000
Texas, USA
www.shmeg.f2s.com
Good clans are hard to find.

Unfortunately I've shifted away from ctf lately because of annoying clans like that. If they win, they rub it in. If they lose, they bitch, call you names, an say you're cheating. My clan has all but fallen apart due to these types of matches. Myself I have been playing mostly DM lately. At least there you don't get so much smack. Maybe because I almost always win =) . Even when I win I don't talk ****. Mabye a 'My House' at the end of the round, but thats about it. If i'm playing against only a few players, i'll try and help their gameplay if possible.

Isn't that how games are suppose to work, with sportsmanship? If i'm playing poorly i'd rather have some pointers after a match then taunted. That takes the fun out.

Sorry to spam, but i'm trying really hard to get a few new players so I can startup CTF and assault again. Visit the site below if you are interested.