Motion sickness in UT

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TheKLF99

Jul 24, 2001
Visit site
Hi, everytime I play certain games on my PC and Playstation I get kind of motion sickness, the games that really affect me are, Quake, Quake 2, Unreal Tournament, Croc, Gex, Gex 2, Rayman and all the others with the really dodgy camera angles. I can't understand though how I can get motion sick when I'm not moving. I've once thrown up with it, because I was feeling really sick and just ignored it and carried on playing (hoping that it would go away, bad idea!). Does anyone else get this, and how do I stop this, 'cos it's putting me off playing all my favourite games? Would taking a anti-motion sickness tablet help or not? I don't seem to get it as much with Quake in MS-DOS (probably cos I can only run it at 320x240 before it starts jerking in MS-DOS where as my Voodoo 3 can run it at over 800x600 without jerking in Quake Glide). I also get this feeling in a car or bus if I'm not looking out the front window (like trying to read a map or something) could this have something to do with it?

TheKLF99

Jul 24, 2001
Visit site
re: BulletRain

I've been using computers since 6-7 and only recently have experienced motion sickness with this new 3D generation of computer games.

flare

Banned
Aug 4, 2000
Visit site
you should probably see a doctor about this. Its just something with your brain probably that is making you get sick when looking at games.

TheKLF99

Jul 24, 2001
Visit site
thanx for all the replies I just found this really interesting internet article on it by searching. According to this article the army did tests on it and found 20% of the people tested in the army had "simulator sickness" (and there is very few in the army that do get motion sick) and it's more prone to people who normally get motion sick, but they don't think it's anything to do with motion sickness :confused: . They also say that more people playing OpenGL games over DirectX get it. The only thing is I can't find any solution for this apart from to stop playing the games :(. Maybe I should start playing all my games in Direct3D then instead of Glide (damn I'll have to use Microsh*te stuff). According to the report I've just read they estimate about 50% of people are affected by this!

AMMAGETSVM

wild
Jun 5, 2001
brooklyn
That used to happen to me a lot when I first started playing FPS games.
I would be playing Doom and after a few minutes I'd get dizzy and couldn't go on. Eventually this stops. I play UT often and it rarely happens now, maybe only after a drink or two. but I've heard of all sorts of remedies, from breathing excercises to relaxing your eyes to smoking marijuana. Guess you'll have to find out what works best for you, but you should certainly be able to eventually adapt on your own.

Rockmonster

Jul 24, 2001
Visit site
Motion sickness is actually pretty common. The reason you are getting sick is because you are not moving but your eyes say you are. When your eyes and your inner ear don't connect then motion sickness can occur. You either get used to it and it doesn't bother you anymore or take dramamine. However, it will probably go away after awhile. The best thing to do is stick to open maps where there is not a lot of confined space so that the movement isn't as obvious.

Hopefully this will help.:rolleyes:

Marx

Well, I only ever got motion sickness once from running, in a circle, down a big hill. I think it was motion sickness but I find that if people are generally well rested it can work out OK. This happens to some people on long sea journeys and rest is recommended.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Im sure the years of quake have knocked any sense of motion sickness in computer games out of me, I never feel ill at all playing UT, no matter the time, level, etc :D

Cablebait

May 23, 2001
canada
Visit site
yep sometimes i get a lil headache and feel a lil crappy....think its from sitting to close to monitor,tired,improper posture>>puts stress on your neck and stomach.Maybe something else?..i am also one of those that fall asleep at the wheel while driving[lol]

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
UT doesn't bother me, but I can't play QuakeI/II/III or Half-Life. UT seems to be the only FPS I can play (Tribes2 is okay as well, but it's a bit different).

But yeah, it happens to a lot of people.

In the good-ole-days, Descent got most people - but oddly enough, never bothered me - I guess I love flight stuff too much.

I've found turning off the veiw-bob helps the most.

hyrulian

Rainbow Brite
May 20, 2001
Chula Vista, CA
hyru.ath.cx
Originally posted by Rooster
UT doesn't bother me, but I can't play QuakeI/II/III or Half-Life.

Hmm...similarities =P I get nausea playing Half-Life (haven't done any of the Q series, but HL is based of Q2 engine right?) and sometimes (but VERY rarely) Unreal I.