I Was Right!!!

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Last year I posted a thread stating how cool it would be to include the McMillan (I dont know the exact specs) .50 caliber sniper rifle. I also said that it can fire armor peircing explosive bullets. No one thought it could and heres the proof that it can...

Mk 211 MOD 0 AP-HEI "Raufoss"

Caliber: .50 BMG
Projectile Mass: 43.48 g  (671 gr)
Muzzle Velocity: 887.0 m/sec  (2910 fps), @ 23.8 m  (78 ft) from muzzle
Muzzle Energy: 17,105.0 J  (12,616 ft.lbs), @ 23.8 m  (78 ft) from muzzle
Compatible Weapons : Robar RC50
Description: Developed by the Nordic Ammunition Company in Sweden, this cartridge replaces all incendiary rounds currently in service. Also known as the Multi-Purpose NM140, the round is capable of penetrating 11mm of armor at 1000m and will give approximately 20 effective fragments after hitting 2mm of Dural. It contains both incendiary and high explosive compositions plus a tungsten core for superior penetration and lethality. The ammunition is drop-safe from 15m height and is identified by a green tip.

That was taken straight from the INF armory

YAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Klagenfurt, Carinthia, Austria
Visit site
Wonderful, now that we all know something we never heard of before - but wait, the Raufoss is in the ammo list..so I guess we already knew that.

Apart from that I remember a few posts about the McMillan/M82A1 being anti-tank rifles - which is obviously wrong, but I can't remember one, where everybody said that there is no APHEIT ammo for .50BMG rifles..

Snakeye :D

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
If I'm not completely wrong all .50BMG sniper weapons are anti-material, which means you use them against anything valuable, like satelite dished, comm equippment, probably also against vehicles, but NOT against tanks.(APCs are not tanks, and I suppose you could get most APCs with .50 SLAPs and a Ma Deuce as well..)

True you can damage any tank with that, mostly important equipment on the tank, including sensors and similar, but you won't be able to destroy the vehicle, and even disableing it would be very hard IMO.

So it's anti-material; anti-vehicle isn't wrong, but it leaves out some targets these weapons are intended for..

Snakeye

Mk82HD
Jan 28, 2000
Visit site
Well according to www.isayeret.com not:
The Barrett “Light Fifty” Model 82A1 is the most popular 0.50 caliber rifle in the world was originally designed for extreme long range sniping (over 1000 meters). However, its semi auto mechanism combined with mediocre human engineering and the lack of proper 0.50 match grade ammunition contributed to the fact that the M82A1 is a rather low accuracy rifle.

Therefore, the weapon's destination was switch from sniping to Hard Target Interdiction (HTI), hence shooting at Armored Personal Carrier (APC), cars, through walls, etc.

Sporadic samples of the rifle entered service in the Israeli Defense Force (IDF) in the early 1990's and were used primarily by the IDF Combat Engineering Corps Explosive Ordnance Disposal (EOD) Unit - YACHSAP - to blow up charges at a safe distance. In 1995-1996 the M82A1 entered the IDF Special Forces (SF) in mass numbers for HTI applications. In 1997, in an effort to improve the poor marksmanship skills and sharpshooting capability of the IDF Infantry Corps, the weapon entered all regular infantry-oriented units as a company level fire support weapon.

I really don't want to start another GL/cannon discussion, so if you find evidence that Barret intended this rifle to be anti-vehicle, just post the link.

Fen Phen

The Napper
Oct 28, 2000
Materiel

Not a spell flame, but it's spelled "materiel" (when referring to military equipment).

Lolo Konijn

Huppel huppel
Jul 30, 2000
The Netherlands
I like the McMillan m 88 sniper rifle (canon?)
Is it more powerful then the robar? What are the differences between them. If there are enough differences I would like to see the m 88 too.

Is the robar actually in service? I know the m 88 is in use by the seals...

PS Is there a more powerful handcarried rifle then the m88?