Loading UT - *REALLY* slow

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lyverbe

May 11, 2001
Visit site
I've equipped myself in video editing in both hardware and software. Ever since, Unreal Tournament is still working, but it takes *forever* to load. A good 5 minutes before I get the main menu.

All other applications/games are unaffected by this hardware change. I've tried reinstalling UT from scratch with patch 436, scandisk'ed HD for errors, defragmented... but I get the same result.

CPU: P3-600
RAM: 64mb
Video: ATI Rage Pro + Voodoo 2
Sound: SoundBlaster AWE64
(it all worked fine with this setup previously anyway)

New IDE controller: Maxtor Ultra ATA 100 PCI
New HD: Maxtor 30.7gb, 7200rpm
New software: Adobe Premiere 6.0
New DirectX: 8.0a with DV patch (8.0dba)

I think that's pretty much it.
Help! :)

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
yep, 64 Mb is not much. You should get at least 64 Mb more.
Also check if you have a any programs running in the background. Run msconfig to check it out. Go here and check what programs you can disable from startup.
Set your virual memory to the same value at min/max.
Defrag your harddirve.

You can find some tweak for Win ME here

Lyverbe

May 11, 2001
Visit site
Like I said, I had 64mb before and it was working perfectly fine. The UT requirement is 32mb, so 64mb should be more than enough (maybe not for DV editing, but that's another subject :)). I seriously doubt that lack of RAM is causing this.

...but I did change the virtual memory settings to work on my new HD. Perhaps that did screw something up. I'll have to try setting it back to what it was.

I will also check the suggested links and see if it will help. I'll let you know.

Lyverbe

May 11, 2001
Visit site
I've tried everything mentionned. Nothing works. Unreal Tournament still takes a huge amount of time to load. When looking at the HD LED, it indicates that the HD is working a lot, yet the head seems to barely move. I can't blame a corruted file since I reinstalled from scratch and scandisk didn't report anything wrong.

In my system info, I forgot to mention that I have an ADS Pyro Basic Firewire card, not that it should matter.

I don't know what else to try. I want to play Unreal Fortress bad :(

Lyverbe

May 11, 2001
Visit site
Network issue?

I've started the .exe with "-log" to show me the log window while UT loads. The delay happens here:

Log: Bound to Fire.dll
Log: Bound to IpDrv.dll
< Long delay here of a couple of minutes >
Log: Game class is 'UTIntro'
Log: Level is Level Entry.MyLevel

I wonder if it's this IpDrv.dll thing. What is it actually doing between IpDrv.dll and "Game class is 'UTIntro'"? I've tried updating my SMC 1208 network card driver and disable my firewall, but without any luck.

Any other help?

BIG.GUN

May 4, 2000
Visit site
I think that is where that stupid intro map loads. To just get the logo to come up, instead of that intro movie, open your UnrealTournament.ini file that is in UnrealTournament\System folder. Open it with Notepad. The first section looks like this, except I have changed the map to the logo map, instead of the intro movie. :

Protocol=unreal ProtocolDescript... to 256K. The 128K ram cost me about $90 US.

Last edited:

Lyverbe

May 11, 2001
Visit site
That has been done a long time ago. Getting rid of the intro movie was one of the first thing I did.

As for DirectX 8.0, the UT Tweak Guide (http://www.3dspotlight.com/tweaks/ut/index.shtml) suggests to install DirectX 8.0. I don't see why it would cause a problem at that particular point in the loading process, but it is nevertheless a possibility.

If only one other application/game would be doing this, I could try to see what's common between the two to do this. UT is the only one.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
What have you changed on your PC since the last time UT run well? You say: "I've equipped myself in video editing in both hardware and software."
And did you run WinME before too?
Make sure you have the right drivers for your AWE64. I know that there are 3 different versions of that card.

BIG.GUN

May 4, 2000
Visit site
Well then, I think that all the new video software and hardware may be taxing your 64MB RAM and causing the delay, but the only way to find out for sure is to buy more RAM, which will only help you out anyway.

Good luck, I can't think of anything else that would do that, unless maybe some software driver for your new video stuff is conflicting with the game for some reason.

Tylerabe

Feb 13, 2001
Dayton, OHIO
Visit site
Well......

If you loaded UT before with only 64mb of memory running WinME then it must be the video editing in both hardware and software that is the problem, but WinME is a memory Hog and if you did an upgrade from Win98SecEd to ME then that is your problem! Get more Memory!