Keeping the llamas out

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

MAD Piren

Apr 9, 2001
Israel
www.Gamer.co.il
Hey

Im new here, so ill introducde myself:
Im MAD Piren, From israel.
im the UT servers admin on www.Gamer.co.il ,dedicated server, dedicated player :)
_Hey.. so we have only One UT server running now... its because of ugrades.. :p ... More will come shortly :) _

Recently the llama population in our servers has grown, and i want to know how you guys keep the llamas out?

Banning some is impractical concidering in here the IP ranges are short, and i might be banning someone else aswell , and some people here still use dynamic IP's.

We got CSHP 4 installed, but i swear, im sure some still use AimBots.
Not only that, taunt binding has become a huge all- time-favorite for some.

Also another matter that been bothering me, is their names.
I really dont understand this fetish, "elite players " .. ive seen some of the wierdest name combinations in the world.
its gets to a point where their name is unreadable, and i just cant kick/ban them.
How do i stop people from using ascii codes in their name? (you cant even write ascii code in UT itself... the only option is the WWW admin... not that i can remember the ascii code for every little symbol they came up with)

What can i do? More and more people get tired of the llamas and just leave, and all that gets left is the llamas.

8-4-7-2

Mar 6, 2000
Germany
1.) Don't run Face
2.) Put a lot of custom maps into the rotation. That spices up the gameplay for regulars and helps to keep potential troublemakers out

Xenocide

Apr 9, 2001
Haifa
www.sky-knights.net
Agreed

I'm a co-admin of another ut server in israel
(gamemaster.actcom.co.il)
i suffer the same problems as piren here has
sorry to say this..but those a**holes ruin the game
if you can't aim well..or can't play good 'nuff..do something else
don't ruin it for the rest!
hmm
anyways
any idea how to STOP them from spoiling the fun?

Xhalted1

Skilled
Dec 20, 2000
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
I just learned not to bother playing on your servers. Thanks for the info!

Using ascii characters in you name is not Llama!!! It is a creative way to make a good impression. They look nice! Unless you play on a server 428 or before. My whole clan uses them and we like them and won't drop it for anyone. If by "elite players.." you mean clan tags then you should learn a little more before you start admining!

As far as you being sure that someone is using an aimbot on your server.. How do you come to that conclusion? Do you have a head shot limit? If a person prefers to camp the Sniper rifle on Deck of Liandri do you boot them if they are to good? Do you even bother to spec a player to determin "aimbot use?"

If you want to run a successful server don't be so overprotective of the server. Things that are Llama like:

1. Spamming taunts.
2. Cursing repeatedly.
3. Attacking a player and trying to make them leave the server because you don't like them.
4. Nasty, obscene or racist Tag names.
5. Piston camping portals.
6. Actual Aimbot use. If you have the latest CSHP installed then let it do it's job. Unless you are damn sure that a player "is" using one, You will be the Llama for kicking/banning them!

Other than that there is no real reason to get involved. Don't go booting players from your server because you don't like the way there name looks or their particular style of play or you will cause yourself more trouble that you can ever handle.

Thank you.

I AM{skullface}

metrosexual
Oct 24, 2000
Boston, Mass
www.skullface.com
I wish you the best of luck, ascii names are used all the times, from newbies to veterans...not much you can do about that.

As for aimbots, etc...well, you've got the most recent version of CSHP so you've done the best you can. Follow Xhalted1s words of wisdom...don't just boot people you "think" are using aimbot.

Good luck!

-I_AM

MAD Piren

Apr 9, 2001
Israel
www.Gamer.co.il
brrr...

In "elite" players i meant the ones that use that so called "elite language" in their names... not Clans.
_im part of a Clan myself_

And i dont see the point of using ascii in your name.
It does not look better than using actuall english letters.
And it prevents from admins to kick you if you are an actuall llama.
I dont know a single person, that thinks using ascii is beautifull, expcet for the players that use it (and while its not a big bunch, the sec llamas notice i cannot kick them, they start filling up their name with ascii charecters).

Before i ban/kick anyone, i do make sure he is cheating, or herrasing the other players on the server.
I dont know whats going on with CSHP , but i spectated sevral players for quite some time, and the shots they make is amazing.
Some of them even admited of using an aimbot.

So before you go "ohh-so-protective" of llamas, you should undrestand the Admin point of View.

MAD Piren

Apr 9, 2001
Israel
www.Gamer.co.il
btw

theres a little clan here named : HiV (yeah...)

their little fetish is Using aimbots (CSHP already proved it).

but their most favorite act, is to yell "AIDS AIDS!!!" all the time.

do you concider that llama? or is it just another colorful way to express themselfs ?

Xhalted1

Skilled
Dec 20, 2000
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Re: btw

Originally posted by MAD Piren

but their most favorite act, is to yell "AIDS AIDS!!!" all the time.

do you concider that llama? or is it just another colorful way to express themselfs ?

I said that is one of the ways of the Llama! If your trying to say ascii characters means someone is a Llama then "YOU ARE WRONG!" Just because some Llama's decide to Throw in ascii characters to make it harder for you to boot them doesn't mean all ascii users are Llama's. Besides, I am sure there are easier ways to kick/ban players than their name. It only takes 2 seconds to change a name anyway.

Also nowhere in my post am I "protecting Llamas". I just think that your definition of a Llama needs some serious work. Go to the admins page on this site for some tips on this sort of thing. Just try not to impose your perfect order on the server or you wont have to many people playing there.

hrmph

Those ascii characters are quite annoying. Kind of like the using numbers for letters things that AOL'ers just love to do.

No offense to the non AOL'ers that do it all the time. But is spelling elite "3l|7e" really a tag of coolness or a sign that you follow the herd?

Xhalted1

Skilled
Dec 20, 2000
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Well qwaz seeing as how something like 8 million people are members of AOL and no two can have the same name, It would be kind of hard to come up with something totally unique without using numbers. It is better to use them as letters like 541 than to just call yourself SaL3465. IMO

CrazyCougar

CATatonic
Jan 5, 2001
Ottawa, Canada
Originally posted by Xhalted1
Well qwaz seeing as how something like 8 million people are members of AOL and no two can have the same name, It would be kind of hard to come up with something totally unique without using numbers. It is better to use them as letters like 541 than to just call yourself SaL3465. IMO

I remember the days when AOL'ers first hit the net. They were laughed at and ridiculed and flamed as soon as one saw their email address.

The best solution to the name problem is to find a better ISP... :D

As far as keeping them out of a server setup a IRC channel for the server and point everyone to it who wants to play.
If they stop by they can get the PW and you can track their address. After awhile you can restrict the address to the honest players and ignore the bad apples.

Xhalted1

Skilled
Dec 20, 2000
Brooklyn, NY
Visit site
Your post is still confusing after reading and rereading it. You say you like numbers as letters like the AOL'ers do. The AOL'ers generally use them ad in the second SaL3465, not as 541.

As far as 1337 and 3l|37 aside form "|" which is a valid character (right on the keyboard) I don't see the problem. There is nothing wrong with being original. Even if it isn't that original anymore. Stop trying to make other people do it your way and start to be more accepting of others ways.

The gaming community is world wide. There needs to be more understanding and for less outright indignation in this type of environment. Translations have ways of being thrown way out of wack. Try more for understanding than condemnation and you will have a happier online experience :)

kamikaze9

Apr 29, 2000
Re: brrr...

Originally posted by MAD Piren
In "elite" players i meant the ones that use that so called "elite language" in their names... not Clans.
_im part of a Clan myself_

And i dont see the point of using ascii in your name.
It does not look better than using actuall english letters.
And it prevents from admins to kick you if you are an actuall llama.
I dont know a single person, that thinks using ascii is beautifull, expcet for the players that use it (and while its not a big bunch, the sec llamas notice i cannot kick them, they start filling up their name with ascii charecters).

Before i ban/kick anyone, i do make sure he is cheating, or herrasing the other players on the server.
I dont know whats going on with CSHP , but i spectated sevral players for quite some time, and the shots they make is amazing.
Some of them even admited of using an aimbot.

So before you go "ohh-so-protective" of llamas, you should undrestand the Admin point of View.
Yea, that would get really annoying if you're trying to kick from the console. What I'd suggest you do is run WebAdmin along with your server, so you can run you're server withouth actually being in it. It's also a lot easier for managing the server without learning all the console commands.