Your favorite CTF map (for any game)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
What is your favorite CTF map for any game? If it's not a UT99/2003 map, maybe it should be.

Here is a link to my favorite... This is a HUGE quake 1 CTF map that played best without the grapple and with at LEAST 8 per side who knew how to communicate. This was a map for epic battles. I wish the screenshots had a layout overview, it was really something to play on. Lots of usable traps for the defenders to spring upon the attackers. Great lookout towers to warn the castle (and sniper nest) of incoming. Just a great map.

I guess the closest to this that I've seen in the U-World would be CTF-Conquest for UT99, but the castles in that were too small.

I would LOVE to see this for UT2003 (without xloc, if you can believe it)

link: http://www.threewave.com/quake1/ctf2m6.html

Shuriken

Cordless Pixie
Apr 11, 2002
Yoo`kay
www.planetunreal.com
I'm torn.

UT1 - CTF-Conquest, by Plutonic.

conquest1.jpg

UT2k3 - CTF-DiffidenceREV2, by BluJay.

pow5_640.jpg

Both very similar actually, in style at least (if you use your imagination in Conquest - UT1 obviously can't spell everything out for you in the way 2k3 can...)

Last edited:

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Scumgrief said:
Couldn't find a link for mine... maybe someone else can help in this department:

UT1: CTF-HallOfGiants
I've never played this map online, but had the pleasure of loading it chock full of Godlike bots offline & doing battle with friends at LANs. To date, it's my favorite purely for the fun factor. Not sure if there's a UT2003 remake...? If so, I need to DL it NOW! :)

CTF?!? I LOVED HallofGiants as well, but what I played was DM.

Man, I haven't played UT in a while. I've got flashes of maps running through my head, but I can't put names to any of them.

Maybe I'll load it up tonight! :D

DeadEyeNick

Dec 30, 2000
there's a lot of great ctf map for ut99, but my favorites by far should be projectX2 for really large games(8on8), conquest and baranco for 4on4.

The map that left the biggest impression in me however, is ctf-underdark. It's a great concept, with a pretty effective, even though unbalance layout.

Swedix

Retired from UT2004
Apr 19, 2000
In position
I still think ctf-coret for UT99 is the best ctf-map.
Imo, it has everything a good ctf-map should have.

x3dfxTarget

Jun 4, 2003
Houston, Tx
Visit site
Just d/l'ed the DiffRev map...really nice, wanna try that with lotsa players :)
My favorite ctf maps are from the Q2 era, dont remember the names offhand, but there were some great maps:)

Rev.Whoopass

Sperm Bot
Aug 5, 2000
Connecticut
Visit site
For Quake it was DM4 and DM6

Quake 2 DM1,and DM7

for UT Lucius,Chasm,and Mcswartzly

honestly do not like any maps for ut2k3,I play them,but there are none yet that make me wiggle.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
The two I would LOVE to see remakes of are

1) The Sketch Pad
2) Crazy 8

But in general, any of the RealCTF maps were classics. Those were among my favorites of all time. Most of them have Quake origins.

The Lost Caverns
Base10
Naliwonderland
NotSoForgottenMines
StandOff
McSwartzly
Fortress
UnderDwellers
Symbolic Shrines
Crazy8
Dark Keep
HoldOut
Mayan Temple
Stronghold
Milk
Rooke
The Sketch Pad
Telurium
Resist

You'll find a lot of familiar maps (either in gameplay concept or name) in that list.

Renegade Retard

Defender of the newbie
Dec 18, 2002
TX
Visit site
Renegade Retard said:
CTF?!? I LOVED HallofGiants as well, but what I played was DM.

Man, I haven't played UT in a while. I've got flashes of maps running through my head, but I can't put names to any of them.

Maybe I'll load it up tonight! :D

Well, screw me!

I dusted off UT and loaded it up last night. What do you know, HallofGiants IS CTF!

I played UT CTF botmatches for about an hour last night. I couldn't believe how much I had forgotten about these maps. Many of them I was lost for a while, and took me a while to even remember how to get to some of the flags! It was a good time though. Playing it brought back that felling of "man, this game's a classic one of a kind" that UT2003 is missing, but I also noticed that there was quite a bit missing in UT that UT2003 offers. But enough of that old debate....:)

HallofGiants was very very fun. I'm not a big fan of low gravity, but this is the one map where I feel it is appropriate. It's definately in my top five. I think a remake of it for UT2003 could be potentially awesome.

WebSlinger

bNotNegative != False
Feb 29, 2000
Oklahoma City, OK
hal, that's my point... IMHO CTF map layouts and gameplay have not been improved upon since Quake1 Threewave CTF. And no one has managed to pull off playable asymmetrical maps since 3wave.

DaBeatard

Mr.How
Nov 20, 2002
Visit site
I like Warring Factions from JK2. I can't seem to find a screen of it though. Anyways, it probably wouldn't be good for ut because there are so many ways to fall off.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
I have to say that I liked the plethora of asymetrical CTF maps that we got in UT. The only one that was totally unfair in the balance was Command and I even enjoyed that map.

Let's see.... asymetrical CTF layouts (not weapon placement... layouts) in UT/Bonus Packs

1) Command
2) November
3) Gauntlet
4) Kosov
5) Eternal Caves
6) LavaGiant

Yep, that's a bunch of them. Most of them acceptably playable.

But you're right, TWCTF set the standard and may have the ultimate guidelines for good gameplay. Of course, there are other good maps that totally abandon that formula, but usually they are the more open, free-flowing CTF maps (or outdoor) that don't rely so heavily on corridor/room/corridors. Thus are exempt from the three in/three out rule.