Damage and bot accuracy.

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
D

Damodred

Well...before I start just wanted to say that I *am* aware that you can turn down the accuracy settings on a per-bot basis. But that's not really the problem.

The problem is that since the weapons in Infiltration are so realistic (as is the damage, which I really have no problem with - I think it provides a new and unique perspective on FPSs), it's really easy to kill - especially if you're a bot. I realize (from the roadmap) that the targeting reticule system will be changed, but I think more might be necessary than changing the targeting system. It's the damage system that should be addressed.

I'm mainly speaking about the fact that you can pop somebody's head off with the handgun, the MP5 and the M16 from the other end of the map - easy.

I have no problems with that happening with the PSG or Robar - but those guns just are NOT that accurate, even if you do have great aim. Basically, over say, 50 yards (or less) all of those guns should only be able to hit by sheer luck.

This of course basically comes up because of the damn bots killing me all the time with one hit from the other side of any map /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif If it was just humans it'd be okay, since most people can't aim like the bots, but...I just think the accuracy needs to be really decreased for handguns and semi- or full-automatics.
Cheers /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif
Damodred

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
An M16 can easily hit a man-sized target at 500 yards. Usually it's the skill of the shooter that is the limiting factor in accuracy (especially at the distance you normally shoot from in most current realistic maps)- the gun is usually more than accurate enough to do the job.

[This message has been edited by DeadeyeDan[ToA] (edited 05-06-2000).]

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
i think that the accuracy should saty the same but instead when the gun is shouldered it should wobble a little..moce the crosshairs with it (this was done in the game "deer hunter" and all its sequels) then when u crouch it still wobbles..just not as much...and it almost barely moves when standing still

/infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

------------------
anyone who believes in telepathy.. raise my hand

Dupre

Code Pimp
May 8, 2000
www.geocities.com
Maybe what Damodred is trying to say is that a nice handy slider in the Preferences for general bot accuracy and general weapon damage would be good. Well, maybe good for a lame guy like me anyways.

Awesome mod, by the way.

[This message was edited by Dupre on null at null.]

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Well I agree, the bots are way to accurate. Even at Skilled they can hit you in seconds from across the map, everytime /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif . And no it aint just cos I suck at UT:), in "normal" UT I play at Masterful or Inhuman. The bots are just too acurate. They should be good in human ways, ie. aware of surroundings, rather than inhumanly accuraret with any weapon all the time /infopop/emoticons/icon_biggrin.gif

[Ci]LordKhaine|TC{PuF}
Weapon strategist for Capture

Skyluck

May 1, 2000
Glandale, AZ. USA
Visit site
I also agree. I love playing on godlike since its relatively challenging, but when I play godlike on Infltration, then I play novice (planning to majorly waste the bots), it still seems like im playing on godlike difficulty. I've really noticed this in DM-trainsplatting, but its probably like that in every level.

DeadeyeDan[ToA]

de oppresso liber
Mar 2, 2000
Tucson, AZ, US
www.clantoa.com
For the person, yea (especially if they only have the iron sights)... I was talking about the weapon itself.

Yes its a war from the depth of time!

Unicorn

Mar 1, 2000
Visit site
The worst problem is not that the bots can shoot you from the other side of the map, but that they can do so while running and jumping to avoid your fire. Hopefully future versions will reduce bot accuracy on movement as much as human player accuracy.

HanD_of_DarKNesS

Evil Bastard
May 23, 2000
Ottawa, ON (Canada)
I have to agree with Unicorn. The bots are a little too accurate when on the move. When someone is running, jumping and such, their accuracy is down considerably from when they are crouched, still and shouldered. When I'm playing Infiltration (which is pretty much all the UT I play), I'll stop, crouch and shouler my weapon, kill on the first burst6 from my gun and keep going. But when I'm on the move, my aim is obviously alot worse. This doesn't seem to be the case for the bots, and I think this should be addressed.

I do also feel that the accuracy for some weapons is unrealistic. I've been able to successfully get head shots while using the pistol from about 150-200 yards away, on a persistent basis. I don't think the pistol would really be that accurate from that distance. As a test, I was able to get 5 kills from the 16 rounds in my pistol from the top tower in "CTF-Face", when shooting at the other team coming up the slope from their base.

As fun as sniping with a pistol is, I don't think it's very realistic. http://www.infopop.com/images/smilies/wink.giff

Nightpaw

May 22, 2000
In my opinion, the real trouble is wearing dark camouflage, sitting in cover, crouched and aiming with your robar and then getting shot by the pistol of a bot 200 yards away who has just jumped around a corner.

He jests at scars, that never felt a wound.

Sylvester

Dec 6, 1999
Leuven / Belgium
Visit site
Bot's vision

I would really like it when inf could code the bots in a way that they have the same vision as a person. Ex: You can stand 10 metres away but not see the person because it is really dark, but you can spot a person 500m away when it's clear daylight and the person isn't camouflated.

If inf could calculate the color differences between a player and the background, than they could calculate some sort of % chance that a bot sees you or not...

Looks very hard to me (if not impossible), but it would be great.

Sylvester - Team Duck

MiscMan

The Grand Elitist
Dec 24, 1999
Well

Well, i seriously doubt you could easily estimate 500 m. Its probably more like 500 feet than anything. But anyhow. I have a map where the distance from the island to the bridge is too far for the MP5. Its like fireworks /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

----

page