CTF-SteelSky : frankenstien horror

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
This isnt really much of a playtesting request... more of a "can I save this map" kind of request.....
To the point... the ctf map I was building ended up being too big for my old 433... so I split it up into 3 parts... and even then its getting to sow to work on.... so I'm wondering If I should convert any of the map parts into DM or DOM maps, as theres quite a bit of work in them that I dont want to throw away.

heres some pics of two of the map files

One of the main flag bases

Shot14.jpg

Shot15.jpg

Shot16.jpg

Shot17.jpg

Shot18.jpg

Evil_Cope

For the Win, motherfather!
Aug 24, 2001
looks pretty good stilgar.

how complete is it? i mean, are the seperate bits more or less done but you just dont have the power to combine them or something?

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Originally posted by mister_cope
looks pretty good stilgar.

how complete is it? i mean, are the seperate bits more or less done but you just dont have the power to combine them or something?

yep, that's about the gist of it...... there are no path nodes or weapons in the maps... and a few small things need to be finished regarding geometry/lighting... otherwise the the lions share of the work is finsihed.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Originally posted by StoneViper
if you keep them combined, (and maybe even "rebuild" them), i can path it for you if you don't want to continue it

adding path things though doesn't take long to compile though anyway

heh, I rebuilt them once as a single map file...it took around 45 minutes to rebuild :> and trying to fix some minor errors that occured during the copy/paste process was a nightmare :)
I'm uploading the files now, it might take a while.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
crap, what am I doing wrong ? I opened the browser thang and selected a file, it starts uploading, then after a while it says it's done then posts the message.

Freakish

Speed Addict
Dec 23, 2001
Visit site
This would probably turn out to be a pretty good CTF map..all you gotta do is paste the bases on the edges of center, add weapons and lifts/jumppads and I think you're set (eh..bot stuff too I guess..). But it's certainly salvageable..better than salvageable. :)

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
Originally posted by Stilgar

heh, I rebuilt them once as a single map file...it took around 45 minutes to rebuild :> and trying to fix some minor errors that occured during the copy/paste process was a nightmare :)
I'm uploading the files now, it might take a while.
Many times the way you construct your geometry can take longer or shorter time to compile depending on how simple it is, even though the scene may look the same whether or not the geo is simple or complicated.

also, you can only upload files smaller than 1048 kb large. your map zip is 2687 kb large.

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
dude yer polycounts are above 500+ in some areas, and most areas are between 200 and 300. that can be drastically dropped just by doing some simple and small corrections to the geometry. i noticed that many areas of your map (both of 'em) you couldn't used masked textures instead of lots of brushes to help with the poly count, had you had the right textures i mean. It does look pretty cool, and i played it with no bots with only little slowdown, but when you add bots to it (like 15 of em is how i always play), it can really slow down a map like this. it's all those diagonal brushes. try to remember that the brushes that touch the floor (like pillars and posts) especially should mostly be sqared off. i noticed that you can make lots of those diagonal brushes square ones while loosing no visual appeal. i really can go a long ways with this but i have to go to work. it really does look nice, and the textures are awesome. im not too sure how combining them would look though.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
hmmmm.. I didn't notice the file size thingy.....duh...

I'm well aware of the polycounts, but I'm not terribly interested in optimising all that much with this map. The pillars and such aren't squared off for flow reasons, that goes for the diagonal cuts along the some of walls as well.
Most of the diagonal framework just wouldn't look the same as masks.... maybe apart from the ones in the pillars in the lower front half of the flag base, they could do with some choppin....
I guess there are some frame work brushes outside which could be optimised, maybe even converted to semi-solids, but again it wouldn't give the effect I wanted.
I know there are alot of unorthodox building methods in this map, but it really just started out as me playing around with the texture set ;> hehe

Horton'sWho

www.unrealplayground.com
Dec 20, 2001
www.unreal playground.com
In short, Stilgar, this map looks GREAT!! I mean 1337 great. I absolutely love the textures/color combos and the blue lighting panels are an excellent touch.
It has that slightly "fanciful" coloration/look that I've really only seen before in Rachel's CTF-Catherine. Your attention to detail is very professional. Did you create all of the textures (love the flooring, too) or are some borrowed? I don't remember seeing any of them before, at least not like this.

As far as FPS-- I averaged 44! running through no name empty and with 15 bots I averaged about 30. The tiniest slow down.

I'm no mapper but this one really needs to come together at some point. Perhaps it's a project for UT 2? In running through "center" and "no name" I assume it's to be two symmetrical bases joined in the middle? I wouldn't mind seeing the middle enlarged to make the total map larger... I tend to prefer some changes in one of the bases so that it isn't symmetrical (totally) but I'd take this one in any fashion.

If you haven't already figured it out-- I REALLY like it. Really.

ANY of your CTF maps are welcome for upload to The Playground anytime.

Last edited:

Horton'sWho

www.unrealplayground.com
Dec 20, 2001
www.unreal playground.com
BTW... I noticed you have a map at your site "CTF-Vortice." I'd love to try given what I just saw from you. When I went to DL it just gave me your work in discussion. I don't see it available in the NC database either. Is it playable? Could you upload it to Stealth's?

Thanks man