there seems to be something up with winzip

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
well theres something wrong with it on my machine anyway. i cant get any winzip self extracting files to work, it says they are corrupt probably due to a bad disk or file transfer. i have tested ones i have used before though and they are fine, any ideas?

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Nope, sounds like you have some serious issues. I recommend you back everything important up, reformat and then put Norton 2001 (not McAfee) on your machine. Then scan all your backups before putting them back on. I've never had a virus so I'm not good at being able to tell if you have one, but your system certainly sounds f<b></b>ucked.

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
ok i ve installed and run norton and found a virus. called W95.CIH if that means anything to anybody could they tell me what it is/does. the only problem is that it infects my norton files so i cant destroy it entirely because verytime norton disinfects itself it says it cant run the scan cos the files it disinfects have been modified. it says i shjould boot from my norton disk. How do i do this? i know how to do it on a mac but i am new to pcs. is there a key combination you have to press on startup like on a mac?

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
What you need to do is use the cd as a emergency disk so reboot and when the screen comes up tap delete a couple times. You should be taken to your main setup area. What you need to change is the boot device order. Make your main cd-rom the first boot device, then save and exit. Reboot and when you get into windows put in your Norton cd. Reboot. Since the cd-rom is the first boot device it will automatically boot up off the cd and use it as an emergency disk, if you have the same Norton 2k1 as me that is. After that the rest should be downhill. Good luck. :)

Harry_C

Getting old ... and drunk
Apr 2, 2001
France
Visit site
i don't know the W95.CIH but it looks like the win95.cih aka tchernobyl.
If i remember correctly this virus is dangerous the 24th or 26th of each month.
The others days it will replicate himself slow down your computer and corrupt files but this particular day this little ****er can **** up the HD MBR ,the BIOS and it even killed my old AT motherboard by erasing the BIOS.
And since we are the 22th ......

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
ok. thanks again for all the help. i looked on SARC and found a lot about the virus it is the chernobyl virus as you said it was. it specifically targests norton apparently so you cant get rid of it. i downloaded a program thfrom sarc that was supposed to fix it managed to run the program successfully and disinfected all the files. however this virus seems like some scary **** so if anyone who knows anything more about it or would understand better what SARC says could you explain here. i am still toying with the idea of reformatting. if i do decide to reformat what files can i safely back up and what should i reinstall from cd or the internet?

Ballistophobia

Hedonistic Forum Panacea
Jul 15, 2000
Middlesex, NJ USA
goatse.cx
Fearless, like I said, I've never had a virus so I'm sort of inexperienced. I've had a few scares so all I know how to do is the bare minimum. I dunno what version of Norton Antivirus you have. I have 2001, which I hear is far superior to 2000. I only have one cd so that tells me you probably have a different version. I recommend you get together about $60 and go get two things, Norton Antivirus 2001 and Norton Utilities 2001. Best money I ever spent on my pc, non-hardware or game-based atleast. Utilities is worth Windoctor and Speed Disk alone, defrags in 10 mins. :)

On the whole back up/reformat thing, you should try to do as much as you can to clear the virus out first. If it turns out to be futile, then back up everything that's important. After you reformat and put Norton on a virus-free system you can scan the backups from the cds to see if they're infected. Also, don't forget to go back into your setup and change your boot devices back. Removable should be first, HD second, cd and misc last. Good luck bro, hopefully someone that knows more of what they're doing will see this thread. :)

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
i ran the program from SARC and have cleaned all files except ones in a directory called _RESTORE\TEMP on my C drive. these files all have the names Axxxxxxxx.CPY. i think these may be the backup files norton makes when it repairs files. I have norton 2001 but as i found out from SARC this virus specifically targets norton. and stops it from working. thanks again for all the help. And keep it coming cos i still dont really know how bad this is.

Last edited:

BobTheFearlessFish

Jun 2, 2000
Nottingham, England
kindof a bump and kindof an update. i need to know about this folder calld _RESTORE on myt C drive. about half the files in it are infected and i wondered if it was relevant to windows or if i could just erase it. this could mean the differemnce between a reformat or not for me. anyone know. ill probably wait til tomorrow morning my time (GMT)