What webhost should I use?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
I was looking at hosts so some area psychologists can submit complaints about their healthcare (lots of text but thats it, so no need for a 1500 mb host).

after looking around I think im going to recommend simplehost.com, my only misgiving is that:
6 month plan == 100 bucks
12 month plan == 90 bucks

so, what do you guys use?
Id rather hear about semi-professional hosts, but good personal page hosts are cool too, if they have good per-month rates or other neat features.

dive

Infiltration:: Like crack, but better
Sep 26, 2002
Altanta, Georgia
dive.livejournal.com
I use DreamHost, and they have been nothing but good to me. You can check out their plan comparison chart here:
http://www.dreamhost.com/shared/comparison.html

An added benefit is you get a free domain when you open an account with them, which was a nice draw for me. They've been fast, great uptime, plenty of features, and awesome support for when I break things.

(ps: if you do decide to go with dreamhost, let me know. i'd love to get my referrer's bonus.. yet another reason I love DreamHost, free money)

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
interesting,
It looks like there are 2 possible scenarios that would make DreamHost cheaper then Simplehost, and although Simple has better phonesupport, etc. DreamHost does provide comparable bandwidth, scripting support, etc.

Ill add them to my list of proposed hosts and if we decide to go with it I'll let you know, dive. :tup:

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I use Bluehost.com

Had some reliability problems during the initial signup, but that was because they were changing hardware. Now things are smooth as buttah. Really good price for what I got, too. 167 bucks for 2 years with domain registration and everything - 60gb bandwidth per month, 1gb storage IIRC. Subdomains, MySQL/PHP/SSL/eCommerce/POP3/SMTP/Shell access/FTP etc..

dive

Infiltration:: Like crack, but better
Sep 26, 2002
Altanta, Georgia
dive.livejournal.com
Yeah, I was kinda bummed dreamhost didn't have better phone support [my last host did, but that's about all they did right. InsiderHosting.. stay away] but they've been lightning fast in emailing their responses if I ever have a problem.

Plus, I missed one bill (oops!) and shot them an email about it and they were incredibly friendly with me and just let me pay double the next month rather than turning off the stie until i got the payment in. Go them!