Does Bulletstorm PC Use GFWL?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Seriously, what is the f*cking problem with GFWL? Does it crash your system? Is it bloated with spyware? Does it prevent the game from performing as well as it should? Really, what is it about GFWL that is gives players reason not to buy or play Bulletstorm?

It's software that you are forced to install to save your profiles and it drives people nuts.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
There's no arguing with that. The fact is, if you make a good game on PC, it will sell regardless of what kind of DRM you use. SteamWorks only makes sense if you are integrating lots of other Steam features. SecuROM never makes sense. In fact, I'm having a hard time thinking of another DRM that makes any sense to use considering they add essentially nothing to the user experience.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
Not defending GFWL , I'd prefer Steam, but GWFL has improved with each build. Recently I got Batman AA in a Steam sale, and once I'd put in the password I'd created from my previous abysmal GFWL experience with GTAIV, it didn't bother me once.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Batman: AA didn't even need GFWL, which is the real problem there. I didn't exactly mind it, but it also has literally no multiplayer component.

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
It's software that you are forced to install to save your profiles and it drives people nuts.
Doesn't Steam do the same thing? Well, maybe it does not usually drive people nuts, but I remember back in the day having to wait sometimes for days to get updates to CSS before I could play.

I suppose I understand the complaints against GFWL, but seriously, it seems like some folks whine just to whine. I cannot believe the litany of "issues" I have seen posted in different forums all related to Bulletstorm, ranging from hate for GFWL, not wanting to but BS just to play the Gears 3 beta, not liking the perceived pace of the game, oh, and Trishka's boobs are too small.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
Batman: AA didn't even need GFWL, which is the real problem there. I didn't exactly mind it, but it also has literally no multiplayer component.

Yes you can can disable it and still play offline if you wish -though I didn't feel the need to as it was unobtrusive.

Fair point about Batman not being multiplayer though, and I'd hate to find a game that is multiplayer pitched like UT ever going over to GFWL for multiple reasons. However, whether Bulletstorm's multiplayer element will be all that important to PC gamers idk.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Doesn't Steam do the same thing?

Steam had it's share of hate around 2004-2005. But then they started to become the best Direct-To-Drive store, people had their friends on there, Steam works like X-fire for in-game support, a lot of people follows Valve's games.

They have their reputation. GFWL is a nobody trying to be a somebody.

Not that I have any issues with the software, but I can understand why people hate it. I'm pretty sure there's not a single game that use GFWL and has dedicated servers. But then I assume it's because the developers seek P2P gaming from the start. GFWL also acts like a DRM. People hate DRM's.

elmuerte

Master of Science
Jan 25, 2000
the Netherlands
elmuerte.com
As I don't care for multiplayer I don't mind GFWL, unless it requires registration. As far as I can recall, all GFWL games I have didn't really require being logged in/online.
Was does bother me is that GFWL is slow as hell, it takes quite some time for the thing to be started up to allow me to continue my game.

The absolute worst thing about GFWL is the horrendous crap that is put on the box. Worst offender would be the enormous GFWL bar on the Bioshock 2 special edition box.

Darkdrium

20% Cooler
Jun 6, 2008
Montreal
I'm reading that thread you linked to Brizz and this guy posted something about GFWL requiring Open NAT. Is that true?
If so, I'm ****ed because I know I don't have that as UT3 has the same requirement and I cannot host games there (Despite having all ports I've read about open, a static LAN IP and UPnP enabled to full.) Alas I cannot change that setting either.
So that would be just great if it turned out to be the case :/

Crotale

_________________________ _______________
Jan 20, 2008
Anywhere But Here
I'm pretty sure there's not a single game that use GFWL and has dedicated servers. But then I assume it's because the developers seek P2P gaming from the start. GFWL also acts like a DRM. People hate DRM's.
Lack of dedicated servers is a definite issue. As for DRM, yeah, I understand the hate there.

Bgood

Oct 30, 2010
I'd hold fire on some of the claims.

"In addition to a swath of online code improvements, we're bringing dedicated servers to Gears of War 3 to drive a balanced, optimized, and thrilling online experience for Gearheads everywhere".
-Epic quote

So it would be slightly odd to contradict this with another new game.

Grasshopper

Jan 21, 2008
Upstate NY
I'd hold fire on some of the claims.

Quote:
"In addition to a swath of online code improvements, we're bringing dedicated servers to Gears of War 3 to drive a balanced, optimized, and thrilling online experience for Gearheads everywhere".
-Epic quote

So it would be slightly odd to contradict this with another new game.
Bgood is offline Report Post Reply With Quote

As far as I know, Gears of War is not on PC. Apples and oranges. Check thread title.

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
I'm pretty sure there's not a single game that use GFWL and has dedicated servers. But then I assume it's because the developers seek P2P gaming from the start. GFWL also acts like a DRM. People hate DRM's.
Section 8 had dedi servers, granted you could only get ranked ones through GSPs, but it was a dedicated box

Mar 19, 2002
Denver Co. USA
Visit site
To be honest I wasn't terribly interested in the Multiplayer, but this is indeed bad news. If the game comes as bloated as UT 3 was at launch (and, to be honest, three years later there's still some stuff to be fixed) then we can expect even worse sales and, once the storm of kids gets tired of the game in a few months, death of online activity.
I SERIOUSLY hope that at least they won't implement GFWL in the single player (like they stupidly did in Red Faction Guerrilla, which is kind of a GTA clone: if you don't have a GFWL account you can't even save the game).

I hope that the game will at least have UnrealEd shipped with it, otherwise I'll wait until it's in the bargain bins before picking it up...

I really don't see a problem with setting up an account with it though.
You make a name and a password.

But wait, is it the account, or the editor?

Actually, I don't care. GFWL is one of the most harmless DRM's around.
It pretty much just sits there and does nothing.

(before you go on your Steam tirade, I'm not trying to compare)

Last edited:

Kyllian

if (Driver == Bot.Pawn); bGTFO=True;
Aug 24, 2002
kyllian.deviantart.com
Meh, GfWL isn't the worst thing evar, but it sure as hell needs a good bit of work
About the only good thing about it is since it runs as a service you don't have to wait for another program to fire up to play

With Section 8 all I had to do was fire up the game and I'd be signed in by the time I hit the main menu

Vaginal Epiphany

Jun 11, 2010
For a decade+ developer who started out strong on the PC, Epic has a really absurd PC marketing strategy. It's almost as if they were paid to treat PC customers horribly. Bread and butter, huh.