RIP Tony Scott

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Iron Archer

Holy ****ing King of Trolls
Mar 23, 2000
Obamaland
May he rest in peace. Whatever caused such stress for him must have seemed too much to overcome :(

http://bit.ly/Qgcdbl

LA's Daily Breeze is reporting (and now confirmed by other outlets) that director Tony Scott jumped to his death on Sunday from the Vincent Thomas Bridge spanning San Pedro and Terminal Island.

According to the Los Angeles County coroner's officials, Scott (68) climbed a fence on the south side of the bridge's apex and leapt off "without hesitation" around 12:30 p.m.

A suicide note was found inside Scott's black Toyota Prius, said U.S. Coast Guard Lt. Jennifer Osburn.

Scott is known for directing such films as Top Gun, Beverly Hills Cop II, Days of Thunder, The Last Boy Scout, True Romance, Crimson Tide, Enemy of the State, Spy Game, Man on Fire, Deja Vu, The Taking of Pelham 123 and most recently, Unstoppable.

Scott and his older brother, Ridley Scott, also produced films and such TV dramas as "Numb3rs" and "The Good Wife." The pair recently wrapped "Coma," a four-hour, two-night medical thriller starring Ellen Burstyn set for release next month on A&E.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
:'(

My brother's going into film. He's directed a few short documentaries and a short film, and the stresses of producing/directing/writing are an incredible burden, since he's super self-critical. Rest in Peace Tony Scott.

Tux Android

Voice Pack Penguin
May 19, 2011
Philippines
Oh god!

That's very shocking. :eek: His movies are great and decent, but now he killed himself from falling off the LA bridge in stress.

RIP :'(

Jacks:Revenge

╠╣E╚╚O
Jun 18, 2006
somewhere; sometime?
at 68 years old??

people who make it to 50+ rarely commit suicide unless they're already dying of some untreatable disease/cancer.
I wonder what in the hell could have drove him to do it :(

RIP.

cryptophreak

unbalanced
Jul 2, 2011
I'm not sure how untreatable illness affects things, but this was interesting:

Older Americans are disproportionately likely to die by suicide.

Of every 100,000 people ages 65 and older, 14.3 died by suicide in 2007. This figure is higher than the national average of 11.3 suicides per 100,000 people in the general population.

Via National Institute of Mental Health.

Capt.Toilet

Good news everyone!
Feb 16, 2004
Ottawa, KS
Hmm well his movies ranged from Great to decent and they all made money so he wasn't broke.

Was probably either family issues or he found out he was dying from some cancer and knew it wasn't treatable.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Sad. RIP. They said they found a suicide note but I don't think it has been said what was in it.

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
Ok, if you get diagnosed with cancer and they say you have a month to live, then I can almost understand.

But if you have years to live, then spend it with family! It's so selfish to leave all your loved ones behind like that.