UE3 - UT3 Noob Questions about Packages

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DaBadJuju

Jan 29, 2008
North Carolina
Hello Everyone Again,

I'm learning the Unreal Engine and had a few questions about packages.

I created a simple level named .ut3 map named Metropolis in the following directory: C:...\My Documents\My Games\Unreal Tournament 3\UTGame\Unpublished\CookedPC\CustomMaps. It contains a couple materials and static meshes that I placed in groups named accordingly.

Here are the questions:

Where are my .upk files? When I save out Metropolis.ut3, I assumed that it would create a .upk file for my textures and static meshes in the same directory. What am I not understanding?

When I tried saving a .upk through the Generic Browser, an error message pops up saying "Can't save files via a generic browser. Not saving Metropolis." How do I save packages then and where should I save them too?

My final question is concerned with source art assets. Does UnrealEd search for source art assets in the directory they were imported from every time a package is loaded? Or are packages independant of directory location once a Static Mesh or Texture is imported? If any artists out there using Maya can let me know how they organize their textures and static mesh files, I'd appreciate it. Until then I will assume saving them in the Scenes and Texture directories is fine.

Okay! Well those are my noob questions for the day. Please be kind with your replies. I appreciate the help.

|*BILLY$CLINT*|

I make things happen!
Jan 25, 2008
The Moon
My final question is concerned with source art assets. Does UnrealEd search for source art assets in the directory they were imported from every time a package is loaded? Or are packages independant of directory location once a Static Mesh or Texture is imported? If any artists out there using Maya can let me know how they organize their textures and static mesh files, I'd appreciate it. Until then I will assume saving them in the Scenes and Texture directories is fine.

Once you import something into an unreal package unreal will only load from that package. So if you make changes to your mesh in Maya you will have to re-import the mesh to see the changes in unreal.

I don't use Maya as I am a Max guy but my work flow would be the same no matter what program I am using.

What I do is set up a folder called buildings for example. Inside this folder I would make another folder called textures. What I do is put my .MAX files in the building folder and all my textures in the texture folder and that is it not to hard but helps you out a great deal.