Force downloads of certain files (anticheat idea)

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zur

surrealistic mad cow
Jul 8, 2002
Here's an idea that might keep the basic script kiddie from using cheats online. One way to cheat is to modify an anticheat package so it can be bypassed. A nice option for server admins in this respect would be a force download option on certain packages so a file is downloaded to a client each time it connects to a server. It would make it hard to bytehack files this way since they're already open by UT2004 and Windows/Linux/MacOS enforce file write permissions which prevent opening/modifying them while they're being used.

Steyr

I posted in the RO-me thread
and all I got was
a pink username!
Apr 1, 2005
On the internets
Do people actually cheat that way in UT though? easier way, rename your anticheat server package to anticheat.woehsaodawhgreras.zip so that the name will force the client to redownload.

-AEnubis-

fps greater than star
Dec 7, 2000
The Nicest Parts of Hell
In the days of CSHP, they used to, but not so much anymore.

1. The "file" to be downloaded would have to change md5 or something every time, generating some form of random file information, so it would be different each time, other wise, once downloaded from a server, a program could concieveably hack it for next time. It might even be softice hackable still, though I'm sure they'd hook before having to do that. Most cheats now are facilitated by exe, and are completely outside of the game.

New DX and GL hooks are making many aspects of cheating easier to make, and harder to detect.

2. If that file is randomly different on each connection, it would have to purge itself every so often, probably requiring some harddrive rape by the running mutator, meaning when you are playing. Otherwise, your cache folder could get big quick.

For the most part, the "basic kiddie cheats" are already taken care of with decent efficiency. The reason cheat protection starts getting complicated, or hardware intensive, is from the nasty cheats. Currently, a dumbed down anti-tcc is good about not raping your game performance, and keeping nasty cheats out. It can be set to rape your harddrive, and be more secure for the nasty cheats, but mostly, it stays a direct ratio.

That idea might work for more complex cheats, but again, implementation has a couple drawbacks off the drawing board.