What more does UT want of me???

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

SnakeBitey

Dec 4, 1999
333 K6-2
196 RAM
Voodoo3 2000 AGP
13 GB hard drive
24x CD-ROM

Here are my specs. Can anyone tell me why they aren't good enough? I just upgraded the video card and added 128 megs of RAM, and I don't notice that big of a difference from my Banshee and 64 megs. What the hell?
I still have hard drive stuttering, long load times, a slow menu, and not smooth gameplay. What did I spend $250 for??? I hate the long primary startup time and the interminable wait between menu window changes. Shouldn't the boatloads of RAM help this? And shouldn't it also help the god-awful pauses during gameplay? The game doesn't seem to be searching the hard drive anymore, but it still stutters a lot. What more can I do? Could it be my processor? Why can't this game, and other games (I just tried out Half-Life again, and there is no change at all from my former system either)have smooth play and framerates? Why can't we all just have fun with a game without worrying about how badly it's running? If all modern action games run as badly as this clunker, I'll swear them all off!

------------------
"We live in a world of tradition, and the military is full of it."

SnakeBitey

Dec 4, 1999
I refuse to let this thread die!!!

bullet2.gif

"We live in a world of tradition, and the military is full of it."

RW

Nov 24, 1999
Sparks, Nevada USA
Visit site
It's your CPU I'm sorry to say. My nephew's system was a K62-333/V3-2000/128MB and it ran like crap for any game, I changed the CPU/motherboard to a celleron300a and UT and Unreal run at 35FPS or better at 1024x768x16. I used his old CPU/motherboard to make another system for work or word processing which it is pretty good for.

Azmo

ul+ra l33+
Mar 27, 2000
Netherlands
Setting the Windows virtual memory to a fixed ammount might help. You should probably do this anyway, since Windows sucks at managing it.
angry.gif

Rightclick My Computer - Properties - Performance - Virtual Memory - I'll specify my own, thank you!

120 MB's will be enough.

bullet2.gif

Don't make me kick your bud...

Kukuman

HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT HUT
Mar 27, 2000
Bothell, WA
I have a K6-2 450, and it works alright.

My friend has nearly the same system as me(we built ours), but he has 128MB RAM and a TNT2, and his is quite a bit faster. It's either your CPU(333 MHz is not enough), or your video card. The 2000 is not good enough.
To get the most out of your system, go to http://www.tweak3d.net/.

Kukuman

bullet2.gif

Decaf! Oh no! Decaf bad bbbbbbad! Decaf oh nononononono! Get that out of my e-mail!

"I hate every ape I see, from Chimpan-A to Chimpanzee."

SINatra

Apr 2, 2000
Visit site
I have a K6-2 350 mhz, I use to play games on it with a 8mg intel i-740 card, and 64 mg of ram. I played Half-Life, Unreal, and even that god-awful CPU intensive Trespasser. Games ran okay, but I did experience frequent crashes. I was told my Video card was my systems bottleneck, so I put in a G400 card, and an extra 64 mgs of ram. I had about a 50 percent increase in frame rates, the games looked a lot better, and I rarely had anymore crashes. Now I'm told my CPU is too slow for my video card. I just started playing UT a week ago, and I run it at 800x600 with all the video turned up, and the audio down, and I get an okay frame rate with only a little stuttering in extreme battle scenes. It moves plenty fast for my middle aged uncaffeinated reflexes so I wouldn't say an old K62 is useless as a game system. Of course knowing what I know now I would never have chose it to play games on, but the great thing about UT is that it has some great options like the adjustable minimum frame rate that make it adaptable for a variety of systems. If UT was unplayable, I wouldn't be up until the wee hours playing it every night.

PotLuck

Mar 29, 2000
Visit site
I've found that virtual memory may need more than 120M. Mine is set to 400 min and 400 max. Works fine now. Before I had 200M and stuttering was a problem. Before setting this tho defrag the HD THEN make the settings. It's important to have VM in one piece.

H

Haades`FW

Sinatra: when you say you have stuttering in extreme battle, that is your K6-2 who can't work enought :p I have a V2 on a k6-2 450. When there' no action, I do 35-40FPS.. ony to drop to 15 when there's some action :/

Haades`FW

PotLuck

Mar 29, 2000
Visit site
System:
K6-2 450 FIC-PA2013 mobo 2m L2 cache REV B.
128 Ram
Viper2

Most eyecandy is turned off. My settings in advanced options:

Press the tilde key(~) and type preferences:

Direct3D support
Coronas...............False
DescFlags.............1
Description...........Diamond Viper
DetailTextures........False
dwDeviceld............37122
dwVendorld............21299
HighDetailActors......False
ShinySurfaces.........False
Use3dfx...............False
UseGammaCorrection....True
UseMipmapping.........True
UseMultitextures......False
UsePalettes...........True
UsePrecache...........True
UseTrilinear..........False
UseTripleBuffering....True
UseVSync..............False
VolumetricLighting....False

Display
Brightness............1.0000
CaptureMouise.........True
CurvedSurfaces........False
Decals................False
MinDesiredFrameRate...0.0000
NoDynamicLights.......True
NoFractalAnim.........True
NoLighting............False
ScreenFlashes.........False
SkinDetail............Low
SlowVideoBuffering....False
StartupFullscreen.....True
TextureDetail.........Medium
UseDirectDraw.........True
UseDirectInput........False
UseJoystick...........False

Virtual memory 400 min 400 max

You can use these as a "guide" only since vid cards are different. I get smooth play with 1024x768x16 avg. FPS 35-40. You can go back to default any time by clicking on default settings.

I've been told a few times that the FPU in the AMD CPU is lacking compared to the intel.

Anyway, I had a LOT of stuttering and such before doing the extensive tweaking.

OshadowO

Irregular
Feb 10, 2000
CA
Wow this was posted last year. Cool. Doubt if the guys even gonna get any help out of this. However I beg to differ with those who think the K6-2 sucks, I have a 400 3D now and it works great, considering also I'm running a voodoo II card with 12MB, and 64MB RAM, UT runs great.
Also call me crazy but I noticed a performance improvement when I switched from 640x480 to 800x600 res.

bullet2.gif

0shadow0
Rantings of a suicidal maniac.
http://members.tripod.com/~fazal_k

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
haha I knew someone would say something. But quite honestly, I do get around 50fps avg. 40 lowest 60/64 tops. I'll give you my system config, but I'm not really running any tweaks. I know you'll find this hard to believe by my 2 v2's got only about 5-10 fps less than my friends v3 3500 on q2 demo test.
As far as testing goes , I was just running the time demo statistics that are in UT.
Here are my system specs.

P3 450 (with the Bios turbo frequency enabled) takes it to about 466(with Norton Benchmark LOL).
128MB RAM (doesn't seem to affect UT much.
Geforce DDR
2 Voodoo2's SLI (Creative LAB 12MBs)
SB Live!
WD 18GB hard drive 7200
19" Monitor (I noticed this helped my fps alot) 1600x1200 @ 75HZ
Surround sound speakers(irrelevant but their cool! /~unreal/ubb/html/wink.gif )
Intellimouse Explorer( blah blah blah)

I think that's about all the relevant info. That's what I get with the v2's though. In quake 2 I get about 70-75 fps at 1024, and about 95 fps at 640x480. Now this will really shock you...My friend got about 103 fps in q2 at 640x480 with the exact same 2 cards (i bought them from him), and a celeron 400 (not overclocked). That one I don't even get...
But that's all my specs. Don't know how else to explain it. But from what I've seen the v2's are still the best bang for the buck. I haven't been real impressed from the v3's or even my geforce for that matter. Although the geforce runs real nice on some games(thief 2 for ex. ). The only advantage I can see with the v3's is you don't need 3 cards /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

§Kokensu§

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
Oh forgot to ask... what video cards are you using in your other two systems. I use the creative drivers for my v2's which I noticed added about 5-6 fps over the reference drivers in Quake2. Also I run all the same UT settings you showed. Everything at High detail, fog, etc.

bullet2.gif

§Kokensu§

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Sounds like you guys either

A) aren't using the same demo
B) not using the same settings

I can get about 5-10 more fps by just lowering a couple settings - but why? 50fps is plenty for me.

Exact same system (video, sound, memory...). I was just changing out CPU's.

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture

[This message has been edited by Rooster (edited 04-10-2000).]

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
What demo are you refering to. Im just talking about the time demo statics thingy that's in the gui. The one that constantly shows you fps in the top left corner of the screen. As far as Q2 Im just talking about the default Q2 time demo 1. As far as stages go, in UT , Im talking about indoors(avg 50fps),like the inside of Phobos, or Tempest. Outdoors varies greatly, depending on the map.

bullet2.gif

§Kokensu§

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Try playing a 20 minute map of LavaGiant (with at least 12 players). Then tell me your average framerate..

or, just run a timedemo on the intro. That's a good standard to go by.

Hell, inside I get 60-65fps easy - but that's not really representive of what the frame rate is like IN a real game.

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture

Kokensu

Fire in Ma Belly!
Jan 4, 2000
Shut yo mouth!
Visit site
well see that makes more sense then. 60-65 is what I thought u should be getting. The reason I use that is becuase it represents the base that your computer is running on. It's hard to measure actuall fps with mutliple players. Plus if they're shooting stuff it get's even more unpredictable. Then you have to look at what they're shooting. Obviously a mingun firing isn't gonna affect your perf. as much as some people shooting flak spam or rockets. Too many variables. That's why I use that method. On an outside map like lava giant I think I get an avg of like 40fps. But I'd have to check. Oh and I usually let the level "warm" up a little. I don't take the first 5 seconds of results as these are usually a little higher. I sit around for a few minutes then just start flying through the stage. That way I get a good average fps.

bullet2.gif

§Kokensu§

Rooster

Local Legend
Jan 4, 2000
Fort Mill, SC
www.legionoflions.com
Flying? as in specatator mode (with no fights)?

Lol... I get around 70-80fps inside on that.

Dude, just do it on the intro. The way you're judging UT frame rates is not how the majority of people out there judge it. No wonder it's so high.

Try running it on the intro (let it cycle one complete time). The results will be in the console for you to write down.

I did it last night, but didnt write down what my results were. Let's compare notes tomorrow. /~unreal/ubb/html/smile.gif

bullet2.gif

Map Reviewer for Capture