Unreal 95 / 97 Alpha Research

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ezNVPDFykVs[/M] - uploaded by me now too

[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CHjp5wJx8Vo[/M] - not by me but basically same "series" of these.

Kinda hilarious to see the foundry still use that other song section.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
They were hosted by Delacroix, those ones, so you should ask him to reup them or something.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
[M]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XD1eVY4B-lc[/M]

Description said:
This is a test with the 97 mag mesh and "behavior" imported into the 98 beta. The 97 mesh was extracted from the unfunctional(because the build needed to run that map was missin) fin1 xcom leftover test map file together with the sounds extracted by alcapowned, this was back when automag didn't have the fireeffect like muzzleflash part of mesh too even though the 98 beta has the fireeffect on the third person mesh being helt by the player. I assume there must have been first person mesh of this "colt like" automag with fireeffect before the change to the final automag appearance though. The anims play kind of buggy but that's because it's like the 98 beta script combined with the older one in fin1 and due to differences in unrealscript too. This mag also deals 30 damage per hit, although is a little slower in fire. Also at the start there seems to be in soledad the second infamous "invisible" blue tree9 that has its mesh unset in final Unreal/UT. Seems like something the conversions forgot about too and I didn't notice this until now as well. Oops. Well RTNPUE had that one removed though, but all of the other conversions have the tree invisible.

Soleout.rar

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I've got some news, which are sadly more on the bad news side. I was trying to track down some of the old and lost leaks, but without much sucess. I contacted some people who had them, including a rare but very unstable N64DD build leak (yes there was one), on the disk, but the disk fell apart and was trashed instead of recovered. There's still some hope though (not for the N64 version it seems though).

iLikeTheUDK

Apr 18, 2011
An update

Okay, I've got what appears to be A MAJOR UPDATE here:

A YouTube user I once came across whose username is "thekazuya005" claims to have the 1996 and early 1997 alpha builds of Unreal, but he needs some stuff, including the Impaler model and some of the Unreal Alpha content in X-COM: Alliance. He has a Facebook page, called Thekazuya005's beta games.

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Okay, I've got what appears to be A MAJOR UPDATE here:

A YouTube user I once came across whose username is "thekazuya005" claims to have the 1996 and early 1997 alpha builds of Unreal, but he needs some stuff, including the Impaler model and some of the Unreal Alpha content in X-COM: Alliance. He has a Facebook page, called Thekazuya005's beta games.

Kazuya is a dumbass and a liar. Everything he has is either does not exist or has already been released. He's just a dipshit kid. Ignore him.

iLikeTheUDK

Apr 18, 2011
Kazuya is a dumbass and a liar. Everything he has is either does not exist or has already been released. He's just a dipshit kid. Ignore him.
Rofl that guy posting old unreal alpha shots

Yeah I kinda had the impression he was tricking me with stuff that was already leaked. BTW I still wonder how'd he get the working Quadshot in the Unreal '98 beta and also a working flamethrower/napalm launcher. It has to be some serious modifications he made to the '98 beta. Same for the Translocator with the correct skin. If he did trick me, he probably planned it really well.

Last edited:

AWW SNACK

Feb 13, 2009
Yeah I kinda had the impression he was tricking me with stuff that was already leaked. BTW I still wonder how'd he get the working Quadshot in the Unreal '98 beta and also a working flamethrower/napalm launcher. It has to be some serious modifications he made to the '98 beta. Same for the Translocator with the correct skin. If he did trick me, he probably planned it really well.

Knowing Kazuya, he probably begged someone to do it for him, then conveniently forgot to credit that person when it came time to post screenshots.

I've encountered him before, and he literally knows nothing about the blood and guts of the betas he "collects". I'm pretty sure all he does is boot it up, look at it for a few minutes, then close it. The whole thing is just an excuse for him to brag and be internet famous. He's a 14 year old boy who wants to be cool.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
To be honest, and to clear things out, I encountered Kazuya a while ago on youtube. He appeared totally confused and he was pretty irritating, however I thought it was just because he doesn't know a lot about stuff like that. Call me stupid but I enlightened him about a lot of facts from beta and even gave him some mods/stuff like the 97 automag thing and even the torn flamethrower and he probably also downloaded the protoype of flamethrower/napalmgun that masterunreal gave me, excluding the proper fire effects as I basically compiled/changed that from the incomplete files he gave me. I cannot see the exact shots you guys are talking about. But when I was trying to help this guy out and make him understand what beta was what, I had no idea he would turn this into a scam like this, I am really sorry for being the contributing factor to it then. I should have listened to aww snack who told me to not waste time with him. He also cursed out hogsy at one point with other game iirc because he didn't give some stuf
f to him. Probably if he ever tries to talk to me again he will curse me out instead for revealing this.
However there is a person more or less in the Unreal community who actually has the real 96 beta. This was kept a secret in order to people not to bug her about it, however she was kinda reluctant to give it out at one point, besides it was on an old harddrive which is incompatible with current ones so she had to put it to different one and that was just a first step roughly. I waited months for that, but then she wanted to have a big highlight on Unreal news sites and wanted to speak to Smirftsch about it and to make her name appear on the front page of oldunreal news. Delacroix also got involved and he had her meet Smirftsch online apparently, which resulted in him telling her that he doesn't want to risc his relations with Epic (even though it was offered that other sites like diehard's would definitely host it and speaking of relations with Epic, they hardly care these days, not only that but beta is often discussed at the oldunreal forums and the patch itself includes hidden beta content as well, not to
mention links to sites which host the actual full beta(s) and stuff, so I really don't find this excuse that reasonable), but Smirftsch told her to ask Epic directly, which was on the way in progress when I left, even though I find it silly to ask whole Epic department as whole insted of contacting the individual people who actually worked on the game or used to work there, which right now with departure of Cliff only one original level designer remains in one of the Epic subcompanies, whatever was it called, the person in particular is Shane Caudle and yes he is the only one of the original LD/artist team still left. However Cliff seemed to be the only one there in Epic who wasn't really against the idea of sharing the betas perhaps even with an install check to make it avaible to these who only own unreal, but it turned out years back that they would not agree to it even in these conditions, but that nothing would happen practically if the betas resurfaced, it is just that Epic's legal department would not
allow official release from Epic itself. But as for the person who has the beta, I lost contact with her when I began moving out to different country so I have no idea how it is now and what happened and if she will still be willing to share it. But I feel the need to tell this story to public, because it's been a long time since this was kept total secret, besides I didn't reveal her identity or anything so I believe this information should be safe.

iLikeTheUDK

Apr 18, 2011
To be honest, and to clear things out, I encountered Kazuya a while ago on youtube. He appeared totally confused and he was pretty irritating, however I thought it was just because he doesn't know a lot about stuff like that. Call me stupid but I enlightened him about a lot of facts from beta and even gave him some mods/stuff like the 97 automag thing and even the torn flamethrower and he probably also downloaded the protoype of flamethrower/napalmgun that masterunreal gave me, excluding the proper fire effects as I basically compiled/changed that from the incomplete files he gave me. I cannot see the exact shots you guys are talking about. But when I was trying to help this guy out and make him understand what beta was what, I had no idea he would turn this into a scam like this, I am really sorry for being the contributing factor to it then. I should have listened to aww snack who told me to not waste time with him. He also cursed out hogsy at one point with other game iirc because he didn't give some stuf
f to him. Probably if he ever tries to talk to me again he will curse me out instead for revealing this.
However there is a person more or less in the Unreal community who actually has the real 96 beta. This was kept a secret in order to people not to bug her about it, however she was kinda reluctant to give it out at one point, besides it was on an old harddrive which is incompatible with current ones so she had to put it to different one and that was just a first step roughly. I waited months for that, but then she wanted to have a big highlight on Unreal news sites and wanted to speak to Smirftsch about it and to make her name appear on the front page of oldunreal news. Delacroix also got involved and he had her meet Smirftsch online apparently, which resulted in him telling her that he doesn't want to risc his relations with Epic (even though it was offered that other sites like diehard's would definitely host it and speaking of relations with Epic, they hardly care these days, not only that but beta is often discussed at the oldunreal forums and the patch itself includes hidden beta content as well, not to
mention links to sites which host the actual full beta(s) and stuff, so I really don't find this excuse that reasonable), but Smirftsch told her to ask Epic directly, which was on the way in progress when I left, even though I find it silly to ask whole Epic department as whole insted of contacting the individual people who actually worked on the game or used to work there, which right now with departure of Cliff only one original level designer remains in one of the Epic subcompanies, whatever was it called, the person in particular is Shane Caudle and yes he is the only one of the original LD/artist team still left. However Cliff seemed to be the only one there in Epic who wasn't really against the idea of sharing the betas perhaps even with an install check to make it avaible to these who only own unreal, but it turned out years back that they would not agree to it even in these conditions, but that nothing would happen practically if the betas resurfaced, it is just that Epic's legal department would not
allow official release from Epic itself. But as for the person who has the beta, I lost contact with her when I began moving out to different country so I have no idea how it is now and what happened and if she will still be willing to share it. But I feel the need to tell this story to public, because it's been a long time since this was kept total secret, besides I didn't reveal her identity or anything so I believe this information should be safe.

Awesome. I think you should try to get more stuff from her.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I would like to, but atm it doesn't appear to be possible, she still plays Unreal online now and then apparently, but since I don't have a direct connection yet I can't do a damn thing about it or talk to her directly, which sucks. Unless someone would take that position, but then she could be appaled i told someone else, she didn't like it when I involved two other people aside me later on in the end, because they became rather forceful or not believe her. But I don't think she would be lying because everything she told me did match the descriptions and what I know of these versions, which is very unlike the "upcoming unreal alpha/beta release" stuff that was posted years ago here and was entirely made up. In the end very little people seem to really care and/or instead they jump towards "fakes" like kazuya. I fail to make sense in all of that, but that's how it is. It always has to be me to try to fix things and get things done in the end it appears or try to push people in the direction again.
Life has been very very difficult for me past months, living sometimes at the edge of extremes and poverty. Yet somehow I manage to do it, even though I did see it coming and tried to warn some people, even to hurry with stuff, because I was unsure of my future and if I can make it. And there's still a lot ahead, counting even for this whole "world", all the changes that are planned to take place, all the freedom takeaways, extreme control over the internet, I really do fear what's still to come. And that's me being really vague. I just wish people would try to live and be more independand and show that they don't need the oppresive global governments taking over their lives. Wish they could realize what was really going on and that most of them have lived in lies. But *shrugs*, I guess I cannot expect that from happening can I? And I guess this is too off topic for this topic anyway and will most probably get ignored altogether.

Last edited:

leilei

ANIME ELF'S !!
Jan 20, 2008
I'd ignore Kazuya as well. Beta hoarding cred seems to be a popular thing kids strive for ever since the whole Resident Evil 1.5 crap and the HL2 leak. Some places that specialize in them have grade-level behavior taking over, running amok with petty requests of stuff that doesn't even have a known leak. Another funny thing is, it's most likely that those betas are older than themselves. Try asking him what a "3dfx" is.

You can thank sites like Unseen64 for abusing the word "beta" twisting perceptions of everything early for the next generation and the stupid "beta is better" placebo effect. I've seen many modified demos of other games that are claimed to be betas even. They don't even do it for the curiosity and research into development insights, but for the easy ego instead.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
Apparently, when I checked my gmail account which I hardly use, kazuya sent me a message through youtube saying that actually he got the real beta and thanked me for saying "stuff" about him on the forums. Well if he does it why doesnt he just share it, besides I cannot reply to him on youtube since even the inbox is complely mangled if you use text only browser, at least gmail still supports classic html stuff. I don't want to do anything with youtube anymore pretty much for these reasons. So don't expect me uploading videos in near future, right now i dojt even have acess to graphical browser, but i can download files and images and then view them. I did not see these pictures because facebook is piece of shit and gives me unsupported browser error. So I couldn't even check these images. But he also asked me about where did I get the flamnethrower from again, which I beleive I explained to him a while ago, the Torn flamethrower specifcaly is from a free downloadable mod, and was also included with some DM
maps, I think it was also avaiable on weapons of destruction or even chimeric at one point. There are many versions of that though, including the Torn.u in both Unreal Unloaded and UT unloaded which are different than the original flamethrower based on biorifle for version 200 back in 98 but made by the same author.
But still I pretty much doubt it. He said he needs to fuse the beta version together, maybe he just received some fake file and got fooled, who knows, it happened before, i mean people gave him some stuff and then he thought its the real thing before even checking it.

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
unrealucxfull086.rar
unrealucxfull086.rar

A new full ucx file for the 97 test demo from May. I compiled it using a certain unfinished source tree for unreal.ucx that I recently got(it was for 0.86, which is really a test version since they were doing major overhauls of unrealscript so no wonder its a mess, the later 0.871,2 b, c d etc versions were better off obviously, at least acording to tim's log and the extracted scripts from the xcom dir and a new september test build used as base for another unreal engine game(more on that later but no i don't have actual unreal maps for that build just the ones from that different game), there will be more news later.

However this might already be interesting.

No impaler and stunner sadly. Even though they were there in the august build apparently(fully animated too) from which the text file script extracts are from. But those two weapons were already gone by september 97 it seems or late september.

EDIT: More shit here, test maps i made while being absent and also oday maps with some of that ucx stuff put in. Frednoc4 and frednoc4k in particular and johnandmonsters.
testMaps.rar
testMaps.rar

Last edited:

Delacroix

Successor of Almarion
Jan 12, 2006
Warsaw, PL
MAJOR UPDATE

Leo's most recent find is not just preservation of gaming history. It's a discovery, plain and simple. As it turns out, Cyberlore Studios, the team behind such hits as Warcraft II: Beyond the Dark Portal, Heroes of Might & Magic II: Price of Loyalty, Entomorph and Majesty also experimented with action gaming. Their later success with MechWarrior 4 expansion packs proves their competence in that regard, but at the time when they developed Emissary, they were completely green.

Initially, they planned to use the Build engine that fueled Duke Nukem 3D but made a risky decision of switching to Unreal Engine, which at the time was still in its infancy. Despite frequent and drastic changes Epic made when developing Unreal Engine, they still managed to create content... and it was high quality content. The developers paid a lot attention to detail. Unfortunately, in early 1998, due to budget cuts within GT Interactive, the game was cancelled before anybody announced it in the first place and so it disappeared in the darkness of oblivion.

Or not.

Those of you who obtained the X-COM: Alliance leak (or more specifically: the little archive Leo released with design docs and various other little treasures) may have discovered several text files authored by none other than Tim Sweeney. Within them, early licensees of Unreal Engine were mentioned (as well as some of their projects) and Cyberlore was among them. Leo then set out to find the people behind Emissary -- and his search has given fruit. One of the developers has provided two large archives with early Emissary content and although it wasn't the most recent they made, it's still pretty impressive. Better yet - there are several treasures linked directly to Unreal history contained within.

- several apps containing sample stuff already recovered with X-COM files.
- Unreal.ucx source that Leo managed to compile under May 1997 Unreal build.
- September 1997 Unreal build (no maps or textures from Unreal, but Unreal.ucx IS in, in its original, unmolested form!)
- An old version of Seti.s3m music file
- four files from 1996 -- two t3ds, one utx and one unr (the last two are totally unopenable by normal means, but work is being done in order to hex-edit-hack-out things off'em
- A file from March 1998 Unreal beta build. Unopenable by normal means, but who knows what code or other stuff we can hack out...
- A text file detailing planned features for the Unreal expansion pack. How much different is it from Unreal: Return to Na Pali!

However, Emissary content roster is much more breathtaking:

- design docs
- sound effects
- texture library
- models for weapons and monsters
- multiple pieces of code
- many maps in multiple versions

Should anyone want to take over the Emissary project and finish the game, significant effort would be required. However, regardless of whether someone chooses to perform this task or not, one thing is certain: Leo has once again done something incredible. He unearthed a title we wouldn't have found out by normal means. And, in a way, I had my role in it as well, albeit indirect -- if it weren't for my assistance in recovering X-COM: Alliance, we wouldn't receive Tim Sweeney's log file which led Leo to this.

The most important thing...

When will this be released to the public? Soon. Right now we would like to avoid scaring off any other Cyberlore people Leo may contact in the future. However, should there be no further findings in a couple months, you have my word: you'll have that build as it is.

In the meantime, please observe this image gallery, showcasing Cyberlore's work done on Emissary's maps.

Now... as you can clearly see, Unreal guns were placed on some maps. And yes, they're (partially) functional. One map even has an enemy, that one comes from Emissary. So, there's a lot to see. However, the entire content is in alpha state, obviously. No real scripting or gameplay. Just bare-bones levels to wander around on.

Last edited:

Leo(T.C.K.)

May 14, 2006
I was unsure about announcing it yet, but either way here are some screenshots i took earlier myself:
Emsscreens.rar
Alternate link(unrealtexture):
Emsscreens.rar

EDIT: Delacroix's screenshots are in software rendering, therefore the lighting isn't colored(for some reason software back then could only do non colored lights aside colored zones) and masked textures are not properly displayed too, see that green grate or windows you cannot see through, in glide it displays correctly.

automag97.bmp example of 97 automag being there
automag96t7.bmp - the same automag but used with the older "96" skin that was still in the 0.86 stuff.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.