Which do you think is the best UT from all series?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Which do you think is the best UT game from the series?

• UT 99 / Classic

Votes: 63 48.1%
  • UT2k3 / UT2k4

Votes: 48 36.6%
  • UT 3

Votes: 20 15.3%

• Total voters

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
Unrealtournamentbox.jpg

Tons of maps, models, skins, mutators, mods and fun.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
UT2004. To justify it, Slainchild took the word out of my mouths. I grew my skills up in TDM and VCTF on regular PUBS, then made a VCTF clan with a friend, it was a blast, seriously my best online gaming experience so far, there's nothing left now but sucky games which force you to have gold account playing on listen servers.

UT Classic's still a good one I have to admit, but the physics and the engine is pulling me off, not to mention that I am experiencing really bad mouse smoothing issues thus i can not aim properly and end up sucking really bad at this game.

UT3 tried but failed. Better luck next time.

Last edited:

Zhan

Dec 27, 2004
I like UT3. A lot.

I "played" the first two, but not in any really serious way. What's so god awful about 3?

ds3

Feb 25, 2008
I love them all.
Really I CAN'T decide that game is better for me. I love UT99 with all its fast paced fun action and awesome maps. I love UT2k4 with its vehicles and new gamemodes like Invasion. I love UT3 with all new gameplay, physics, graphics and awesome VCTF mode.
Something wrong with me?
I just enjoy this great games. (Actually I enjoy only UT3 at the moment)

I love them all.
Really I CAN'T decide that game is better for me. I love UT99 with all its fast paced fun action and awesome maps. I love UT2k4 with its vehicles and new gamemodes like Invasion. I love UT3 with all new gameplay, physics, graphics and awesome VCTF mode.
Something wrong with me?
I just enjoy this great games. (Actually I enjoy only UT3 at the moment)

There is nothing wrong with you, though this poll is missing the "all the above" option.

And Marty, there is nothing wrong with UT3, except to me that modding is much difficult than the past two. Everyone has different opinions.

Last edited:

Mircea

Feb 25, 2008
Indeed there isn't anything wrong, people can like all the series at the same time. I like UT classic close to 2kX and have different nice memories from each :)

As for what's wrong with UT3 I could give an entire list. A short way to describe what I mainly hated about it is "they removed a lot of features". Compared to 2k4, UT3 has far less configurability and flexibility, fewer gametypes, weapons, vehicles and characters, the singleplayer storyline is unsuitable for a tournament game, registration needed to play online, etc.

ds3

Feb 25, 2008
As for what's wrong with UT3 I could give an entire list. A short way to describe what I mainly hated about it is "they removed a lot of features". Compared to 2k4, UT3 has far less configurability and flexibility, fewer gametypes, weapons, vehicles and characters, the singleplayer storyline is unsuitable for a tournament game, registration needed to play online, etc.
I somehow agree with you. All this stuff is really disappointing. Game lacks characters but have customization(which making new model creation very hard thing to do). They removed some gametypes like vanilla BallRun(I never liked it, so its not a big deal for me) Still there are some bright sides like great VCTF powered with hoverboards(for some reason i don't like UT2k4 VCTF). And... All. LOL.
I really don't know why I like it. I wasn't waiting for anything in particular and then I've bought the game it was just interesting thing to play with. Not as good as oldies but yet very entertaining.

Shakey_Jake33

Jun 3, 2008
England
I think polls like this are going to usually depend on what game you entered the series with, since this is going to be the game that you grow to love dearly, and any game that deviates from this is going to feel like it's 'loosing what made the original so great'.

For myself, and probably many of the longer-running UT fans, it's going to be the original UT by a long shot. I'm no hater of newer UT's - I play UT2k4 and UT3 a fair bit (when I can be bothered to boot into Windows), but they're all great on their own merits, not as sequels to UT.

The original UT is still my favourite FPS of all time. There has been no game to replace it, and I play it daily. No game plays like it, no game manages to capture the sheer style in my eyes, every single damn level is dear to me, it was the last FPS to have truly memorable music. Irreplaceable.

Then again, I know people who started with 2k3/4, and honestly don't see why I make such a fuss about the original UT. This is simply because everything I mentioned in the previous paragraph about the original UT, they can apply to 2k3/4. The best game is the one you hold dear.

Igoy

dea ex machina
Jan 20, 2008
Norwich, England.
slave-riot.co.uk
UT.

None of the other games quite grabbed me as much as the original, and I loathe and destest the vehikalz!!11 that have slowly dominated the Unreal Franchise.

Bah. Gimme classic DOM and pixellated gibs any day.

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
Except Unreal 2 expanded multiplayer, the vehicles were done really right there imo and felt like real vehicles with real physics and were fun to use. But taht's not UT so......................:rolleyes:

Leo(T.C.K.)

I did something m0tarded and now I have read only access! :(
May 14, 2006
I just finally managed to run ut3 demo, but on notebook(in here it carshed with dll error) and with crappy graphics. Hmm, I didn't try much of it only a bit of playing at heatray thats all.

GG-Xtreme

You are a pirate!
Mar 12, 2008
I have to say UT2004. UT99 was superb for its time, but once I became immersed in the unlimited universe of UT2004 and modding, it just seemed dull in comparison. UT3 just seems like a repeat of UT99 with eye-frying graphics and 'console' plastered all over. It crashes within 30 seconds of loading a map on any computer I've played it on. Not only that, but I don't get the same exhilarating feel from the mod community as I did in UT2004, maybe partly because 80% of the posts in the mod forum are 'plz cook [mod] 4 ps3 kkthxbye'.