Will UC tempt you to buy an X-box?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

quitgrin1

Demon Like
Jul 31, 2000
Nowhere
www.geocities.com
For me, it wont... I´ll have to confide in my trusty PC.. anyway... there are alot more games in the PC than in the Xbox, and UC doesnt seem THAT tempting, just to waste 400+ bucks to play one game..

Games i am looking forward in PC:
- Unreal 2
- Unreal Warfare
- Deus Ex 2
- Age of Mythology
- Warcraft 3
- Duke Forever

Games that are already in a PC (witch are cool):
- UT
- Unreal
- Max Payne
- Deus Ex
- Diablo 2
- Tony Hawk 2
- Age of Empires
- Fifa 2002

Games that I look forward in XBox
- Unreal Championship
- maybe Halo ..

See what I mean?

later,
Gringo

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Xbox isnt out yet though. It will be in 2 weeks, but give the Xbox some time.

there are over 150 developers making games for the Xbox. Many PC and playstation 2 games will be out on the Xbox also.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
not tempted at all

and allowing patching is a mistake too. look at the quality of the games on formats like the PS2, they HAVE to be right, cause there's no going back when it's done! letting people patch them encourages sloppy programming. It brings on the attitude of "Let's just get it out the door without testing, so we can get xmas sales. if there's any problems, we'll just release a patch!"

DOOMBOT

More than meets the eye
Nov 27, 2001
www.x-factor.ca
not tempted at all and allowing patching is a mistake too. look at the quality of the games on formats like the PS2, they HAVE to be right, cause there's no going back when it's done! letting people patch them encourages sloppy programming. It brings on the attitude of "Let's just get it out the door without testing, so we can get xmas sales. if there's any problems, we'll just release a patch!"
Hahahaha, exactly... at first I thought it would be a good idea to have that option but now that I think about it... it does seem pretty rediculous that they couldnt take the extra time to fix up the things that patches would do.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
you cant play an FPS without a mouse/keyboard combo.

I still agree with this. Console controllers are just WAAY too awkward, especially after you have played with a keyu/mouse combo. If, as the rumor is going, UT2 is a port of UC, I'll be happy, but I want Halo too (hear the rumors "Halo for PC"). I might buy an XBOX just because they look nice....maybe a Gamecube...I have no idea.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
Originally posted by I AM{skullface}
Has anyone's views changed since the XBox has come out?

Also, multiplayer is now available for XBox, thanks to gamespy, meaning that online play is going on right now.

-I_AM{skullface}

my views of the Xbox has only gotten better everyday. I havent really played halo over the internet, just with friends that have come over to my house. I dont like Lamespy anyways.

Xbox is great, and is way better then any PC because its games look so much better then on the PC. I bet the PC wont see anything that even compares the Xbox games for at least another 1 to 2 years. Microsoft was very smart in making sure that the Xbox technology would be way ahead of PC technology.

The Xbox is ahead in speed, I admit that, but in terms of what it can do in graphics, the PC will never even be able to compare for a long time. And even when the PC does, how many people are going to be able to see these amazing graphics on a PC? Only those with a 2ghz cpu and 512mb ram, while the Xbox is doing it on a 766mhz P3 with 64mb of ram. Xbox is able to do it because all of its ram and CPU power is spent on the game only, it doesnt have a OS, which is the PC's major bottle neck. WinXP and 2000 take up alot of ram and slow games down, then you got the hardware issues and bugs in PC games.

I think that once the PS3 is released in 2003 PC's will either be struggling to get gamers to buy games or the PC will be a dead system all together for playing games, its just becoming way to hard now a days to constantly upgrade your PC and put up with hardware issues and bugs, when you can just go out and spend $300 for a Xbox that shows off graphics that the PC wont have for over a year.

And when the internet gets going from Microsoft im certain they will release a mouse and keyboard, making it just that much more easier to play games.

:MTuk:lone-wolf

massacre threat
I have no intention of buying an XBox until at least a year after its release. I bought a Dreamcast the day it was released and found hardly any good game releases to it's name, and I sold everything Dreamcast related off yesterday.

Of course, Unreal Championship has created a small nag in my head - "Buy and XBox". But I refuse to buy until I have seen how successful it is and how many good releases are to its name.

:)

Jul 22, 2000
Halo on the Xbox controller is piss easy.

I never buy consoles over one game, but with games like Jet Set Radio Future, Metal Gear Solid 2, Project Gotham Racing, Halo, Unreal Championship, Project Ego and Elder Scrolls3 just scratching the surface, I don't see why not :D.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
ya know, not one x-box title is tempting me, especially if the UT2 thing is true.
Halo is coming to the pc anyway, and that's about the only other one that interests me in the slightest...

Originally posted by -_-T()()L-_-

my views of the Xbox has only gotten better everyday. I havent really played halo over the internet, just with friends that have come over to my house. I dont like Lamespy anyways.

Xbox is great, and is way better then any PC because its games look so much better then on the PC. I bet the PC wont see anything that even compares the Xbox games for at least another 1 to 2 years. Microsoft was very smart in making sure that the Xbox technology would be way ahead of PC technology.

The Xbox is ahead in speed, I admit that, but in terms of what it can do in graphics, the PC will never even be able to compare for a long time. And even when the PC does, how many people are going to be able to see these amazing graphics on a PC? Only those with a 2ghz cpu and 512mb ram, while the Xbox is doing it on a 766mhz P3 with 64mb of ram. Xbox is able to do it because all of its ram and CPU power is spent on the game only, it doesnt have a OS, which is the PC's major bottle neck. WinXP and 2000 take up alot of ram and slow games down, then you got the hardware issues and bugs in PC games.

I think that once the PS3 is released in 2003 PC's will either be struggling to get gamers to buy games or the PC will be a dead system all together for playing games, its just becoming way to hard now a days to constantly upgrade your PC and put up with hardware issues and bugs, when you can just go out and spend $300 for a Xbox that shows off graphics that the PC wont have for over a year.

And when the internet gets going from Microsoft im certain they will release a mouse and keyboard, making it just that much more easier to play games.
First of all the Good quality graphics come from videocard not pc ...blah and after all if you saying microsoft killing us with thier OS we will simply change to Linux :D and main thing it's FREE...
and if you gona get keyboard and mouse for your xbox what will you have ? an computer ...haha
All microsoft is trying to do is steel more money from ya by making their own computers .. they just can't stop doing it even with thier billions of $ :rolleyes: :D

Amanda

Banned
Nov 10, 2001
Institution
Evc said:
Playing Halo with the X-Box controller isnt that tough...

So UC should be to hard either

They're both easy. Of course, I will 0wn j00 411 at Halo seeing as how I'm the 1337357 Halo playing female alive. ;)

UC is good, but I haven't bought it yet. I wish it had better maps though. I like playing with console controllers better than I do the KB and mouse. Although the controllers for X-Box are too big for my hands, I just find little ways to get around the controller's obesity.

Last edited:

BringItDown

Jun 13, 2003
MandaLand
www.bringitdown.net
YAy, first post. But what I saw here is so disturbing to me that I just have to correct you.

Tool...I assume your making these "xbox is better graphics than pc" claims out of ignorance. The pc surpassed the xbox in terms of graphics quite a while ago..lets look at some numbers.

The xbox has a 733mhz cpu. I have a 8 year old dell with an 800mhz processor.

The xbox is capable of like 120million polygons a second. The radeon 9700 is capable of over 400million. The xbox has 64mb of ram onboard video and the 9700 has 128..or 256 :lol: . The 9700 runs at 315mhz clock, and the xbox runs at 233.

My computer has a an 80gig harddrive and a 60gig harddrive, which means I can put an entire game onto a hd, which reads much faster than a dvd. Sure you can do this on a xbox, but why??

I could go on and on. I just dont understand why you think the pc will never see the graphics the xbox does..the xbox graphics were surpassed by the pc over a year and a half ago. I dont mean to bash you or anything. Just stating the facts. The PC WILL ALWAYS beat consoles as far as raw graphics processing is concerned.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
BringItDown said:
YAy, first post. But what I saw here is so disturbing to me that I just have to correct you.

Tool...I assume your making these "xbox is better graphics than pc" claims out of ignorance. The pc surpassed the xbox in terms of graphics quite a while ago..lets look at some numbers.

The xbox has a 733mhz cpu. I have a 8 year old dell with an 800mhz processor.

The xbox is capable of like 120million polygons a second. The radeon 9700 is capable of over 400million. The xbox has 64mb of ram onboard video and the 9700 has 128..or 256 :lol: . The 9700 runs at 315mhz clock, and the xbox runs at 233.

My computer has a an 80gig harddrive and a 60gig harddrive, which means I can put an entire game onto a hd, which reads much faster than a dvd. Sure you can do this on a xbox, but why??

I could go on and on. I just dont understand why you think the pc will never see the graphics the xbox does..the xbox graphics were surpassed by the pc over a year and a half ago. I dont mean to bash you or anything. Just stating the facts. The PC WILL ALWAYS beat consoles as far as raw graphics processing is concerned.

First of all, his post was from OVER a year ago. Second of all, I find it really interesting that you say you have an 8 YEAR OLD computer with an 800mhz proceesor and here is why: I am holding in my hand a June 1999 copy of Computer Gaming World covering G.O.D. Games who developed Max Payne. As most people know, CGE has an entire page devoted to the "power rig" or the best computer money can buy, and the "Lean and Mean" or the cheapest crap you can get and still run things. According to this page, the "Power Rig" is a Pentium II/450 on an Asus P2B-LS, a motherboard which could not even use the Pentium 3 800mhz processors. Either your 8 year old machine had an overhaul or you don't know what you are talking about.

It is true that the raw power of the XBox has been surpassed multiple times over with PC Hardware, but what console have you ever heard of that hasn't been? The advantage you have with an XBox is that the developer of the game is programming it for one specific set of hardware as opposed to any number of combinations of hardware, supposedly resulting in a more stable game. I still look at Halo and think "This could be done better on a PC" but at E3 I played Halo for PC, and it sucks. Why? Because the game was designed for a specific set of hardware...including the controller, which is making it harder for the port to live up to it. I love playing Halo on the XBox, and I doubt I will find any reason to purchase it's PC counterpart.

Also consider that when the XBox was produced it was using a graphics chip that surpassed the Geforce 3 (best card on the market at the time) and was only a little slower than the Geforce 4 (the best selling card on the market). No one had even heard of the Radeon 9700Pro at the time they were in development...just as no one had heard of the Geforce FX. It isn't wise to compare a system that was devloped and released in 2001 to hardware that was released at the end of 2002 as well as throughout this much of 2003.