FLASHPOINT Expands

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

vedder

See This Needle? See my arm...
Jun 10, 2001
www.myextralife.com
Visit site
Sounds interesting :)
Expansion pack for one million
best seller as Codemasters announces
Operation Flashpoint: Resistance.

Tuesday 19th February: With over one million copies shipped of the award-winning Operation Flashpoint: Cold War Crisis, Codemasters today confirms details of a dedicated expansion for the PC best seller titled Operation Flashpoint: Resistance.

Due to launch at retail on June 21st and requiring the original game to play,
Operation Flashpoint: Resistance is a full expansion.

Enhancing the Flashpoint universe, Operation Flashpoint: Resistance creates an additional 100km2 island complete with industrial-style buildings and original landscape scenery. Thanks to the use of high-resolution textures throughout, the visuals will be much more detailed and dramatic than ever before.

The expansion also delivers a new campaign that forms a prequel to the original game’s plot and is set years before Operation Flashpoint’s Cold War hit crisis point.

Operation Flashpoint: Resistance casts the player as Victor Troska, an experienced ex-Special Forces militia soldier. Having turned his back on his military past, Troska has settled into a respectable civilian life on the island of Nogova*, a short distance from the original game’s three islands. However, his situation changes when the Soviet force invades the island group and destroys Troska's idyllic dreams.

Reluctant at first to return to a conflict situation, he is forced to participate in, and then lead, the ramshackle Resistance effort, which grows up in response to the Soviet occupation of the island.

As Operation Flashpoint: Resistance begins before the US Army and its resources came to the islands, players have to scavenge equipment from whatever sources they can manage, which provides for different play experience to the heavily-resourced original game.

Throughout the closely linked missions, the overriding objectives include growing your resistance force by gaining new recruits and gathering equipment, preserving as many of your comrades as you can to build an army strong enough to repel the Soviets.

With new vehicles and weapons featuring, a series of original multiplayer missions on the new island, and completely overhauled network code Operation Flashpoint: Resistance is scheduled for release on June 21, with a RRP of £19.99.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
When the hell will these dorks grow up and dump the "evil russian empire" BS. I'd say NATO was much more likely to place a "preemptive" strike then the russians were.

Aug 12, 2000
Switzerland
Yeah, I mean, after all, it's not like they would lay the capital of one of their minor republics to ashes while hunting down 'bandits', or bomb out villages with fuel air explosives and artillery or anything to smother the odd sniper. They would never do such a thing! To suggest it is preposterous! :D

Apart from the US participation aspect, I find the scenario to be quite realistic, especially if it's set in the 80s... Of course you could construct similar scenarios involving other forces: Afghanistan and US, Iraq and the Allies, West Bank and Israel, Westsahara and Marocco, the Ukraine or Belarussia and - oops - Russia, the Falklands and UK, Somalia and the US, Rwanda and the UN, France and one of their DOM/TOM, Some African colony and the Netherlands, Serbia and Nato, Yugoslavia and the UN, etc., you name it. But who would buy that?

Gholam

Sergeant (Reserve), IDF
Jun 19, 2001
Rehovot, Israel
Originally posted by Wolf Being
Yeah, I mean, after all, it's not like they would lay the capital of one of their minor republics to ashes while hunting down 'bandits', or bomb out villages with fuel air explosives and artillery or anything to smother the odd sniper. They would never do such a thing! To suggest it is preposterous! :D

...says a guy from a country that used defoliants in a certain war that shall remain unnamed, causing genetic diseases for generations afterwards - both in civilian population, and among their own soldiers. That same country, in that same war, also napalmed civilian villages... but of course that's forgotten.

And the Lord said, "First cast the beam out of your own eye before you cast the mote out of mine". (quoting from memory, so correct me if I misspelled something).

MetalMickey

Banned
Jul 30, 2000
Dublin
IIRC the russian commander that caused the conflict in OFP was not acting on orders from Moscow, but was acting on his own accord. So the point you make is moot fur.

&

"Sp!ke"

Is it just me or has Russia re-invaded quite a few of its neighbours after they have lost them?

itskeiagain

Adept
Mar 12, 2001
cool

I don't give a rat's ass about the new scenarios but the new weapons, vehecles, and especially a brand new map is a real bonus! I only create missions and play them. :D

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
A realistic scenario with a russian breakaway group should also include russian troops fighting the breakaway groups. In fact you could do a true story based scenario as I believe in '94 (or somewhere around that time) a russian Colonel and some troops did go awoll and hijacked a nuclear launch vehicle. Russian intervention troops shut them down after a fierce battle.

Destructo6

Jan 11, 2002
Visit site
The entire time I was playing OFP, I was wondering when I'd get to play as a Spetznatz soldier, trying to assassinate Guba (sp?). It would have been really cool if US and Soviet forces linked up for a joint action.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
Why send spetznaz when you can home a cruise missile on his mobile phone :D That is the way the russians dealth with one of their former generals who joined the Chechen cause, he knew they would could triangulate his position if he called for longer then 30 seconds and thus kept all his calls shorter then that, in the end i guess he screwed up afterall :).

Feb 26, 2001
England
Revised netcode? They'd need Carmack to fix that mess for em.
I swear the game just sends irrelevent bits of data to each of the players in the hope that their computer can try to figure out whats going on.....