The 'My Smartphone Sucks' Thread

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

d3tox

Face down in a pool of his own vomit.
Apr 8, 2008
I'm pretty sure that ATK was made for pre-2.0 phones. GOLauncher has a "Running programs" tab in the app menu. I just go in there occasionally and close everything. Usually after I've run a few games or something.

Its also nice for smaller less powerful phones that get a little sluggish after jumping in and out of a few different apps.

As far as battery life goes, not allowing apps to sync on the internet constantly, disabling gps and other crap like that generally takes care of any battery issues I've seen. This is especially true for anyone running stock roms, as there's always a ton of bloatware included. By using the power control widget I can go 3-4 days without charging my aria if I'm not using it...

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
Well... I sold out to Jobs once again. I went back to AT&T today and had them swap out my Atrix for a new one with the hopes of it not having the call quality issue. The second one was even worse that the first. We tested it at AT&T and the chick said it sounded absolutely terrible. So, they waived the restock fee and I went to an iPhone 4. I gotta say, it's a nice device :D

Twisted Metal

Anfractuous Aluminum
Jul 28, 2001
Long Island, NY
I'm being the outsider and waiting on the Pre 3.

The fact is (and it is a fact) that no other phone handles multitasking better.

And yeah it won't have 3 kazillion apps like Android and IOS but I still think WebOS is the cleanest, most productive, and intuitive OS on any phone.

pre-3-two-3.jpg

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I'm being the outsider and waiting on the Pre 3.

The fact is (and it is a fact) that no other phone handles multitasking better.

And yeah it won't have 3 kazillion apps like Android and IOS but I still think WebOS is the cleanest, most productive, and intuitive OS on any phone.

pre-3-two-3.jpg

2nded. There is nothing easier than quickly swiping through and between apps with intuitive universal gestures.

But my wait will be for another year and a few months, so perhaps they will have a Pre 4 to upgrade to from my Pre Plus.

The thing that bugs me the most about the Pre Plus is that HP essentially isn't supporting any updates from webOS 1.4.5 to 2.0 for AT&T Pre Pluses. The only way to upgrade now is through a modified webOS Doctor from webOS Internals.

Last edited:

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Well... I sold out to Jobs once again. I went back to AT&T today and had them swap out my Atrix for a new one with the hopes of it not having the call quality issue. The second one was even worse that the first. We tested it at AT&T and the chick said it sounded absolutely terrible. So, they waived the restock fee and I went to an iPhone 4. I gotta say, it's a nice device :D
You really fail at Android, I think.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
New Atrix update today. I got it from the Motorola update site. My call quality is even better than before.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Nope, in the first post there's clear signs of butthurt, and the second post is an obvious troll. Yes there was an update, but there was no change to call quality. :p

I enjoy knowing that since you don't have an Atrix, you know about the call quality Sleepyhead.

Why would Brizz be butthurt that DarkED got an iphone 4? Because maybe Brizz knows that the Atrix is a better phone, yet DarkED had issues with 2 of them that he got so he went with the phone that he knows and is comfortable using?

Why would anyone be "jelly" about a phone that came out almost a year ago and is half powered compared to the Atrix, which so far, Brizz and I have had no issues with at all. However, we both had issues with the iphone.

Troll? Maybe if you want to see it like that. Or, you could view it as a statement that may have been helpful to DarkED or others (in case DED wanted to give the Atrix yet another shot, although doubtful) It's an update for a phone, not sure how that could be a troll, but ok.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Yes there was an update, but there was no change to call quality. :p
Uhhh, it really depends on how you define call quality.
Calling
Improvements were made to incoming and outgoing call functionality to ensure a more seamless experience.
Looks like call quality improvements to me.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008

Source? The 5+ sources I checked mention no call quality updates but agree on everything else, so I highly doubt it.

I enjoy knowing that since you don't have an Atrix, you know about the call quality Sleepyhead.

Troll? Maybe if you want to see it like that. Or, you could view it as a statement that may have been helpful to DarkED or others (in case DED wanted to give the Atrix yet another shot, although doubtful) It's an update for a phone, not sure how that could be a troll, but ok.

I never said I did, all I said is the update doesn't mention anything about call quality, and I'm sure they would list it if it was a part of the update since this appears to be a known problem.

Brizz making that comment, especially with the update NOT fixing call quality, can be seen as nothing other than a troll. Even if they do fix it, which I'm sure they're working on, it's no use to Dark since he already got the iPhone, so how is that not trolling? :rolleyes: Whatever. Even if it's not a troll it seems rude to mention.

I'd also like to point out that what I've said before about Android fanboys being worse than pre-android Apple fanboys seems to be holding true. I keep seeing all these elitist anti-apple comments and douche baggery by Android fanboys and yet they say Apple fanboys are terrible. :lol: That's extremely hypocritical since I see very little Android bashing yet they try to get in low blows at every opportunity which is pretty pathetic. I'm a fan of both OS's but I find myself having to play devil's advocate and defend iphone all the time because of all the Android douche baggery. :shake:

Last edited:

DarkED

The Great Oppression
Mar 19, 2006
Right behind you.
www.nodanites.com
You really fail at Android, I think.

Eh, I think it's more like Motorola's quality has gone down. They used to be the leader in cellphone speaker and call quality. From what I have been reading, their last few phones haven't been very good in this area. Don't forget that I also have a Nook Color running Cyanogen. Besides the lack of the hardware keys, I have no issues using it on a daily basis.

New Atrix update today. I got it from the Motorola update site. My call quality is even better than before.

If you're referring to the 4.1.57 update (the only one available at http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Consumer-Support/Mobile-Phones/Motorola+ATRIX_4G ) then it's already been out for a while. I had the same update on my Atrix. No dice with the call quality.

Why would Brizz be butthurt that DarkED got an iphone 4? Because maybe Brizz knows that the Atrix is a better phone, yet DarkED had issues with 2 of them that he got so he went with the phone that he knows and is comfortable using?

Eh, well, to be fair I really liked the Atrix. If Motorola manages to fix the call quality issue I was having before May 8th, I'll be happy to go back and swap this iPhone 4 for another Atrix. But I don't see it happening in that timeframe because Motorola is mostly blowing the problem off by saying it's very isolated.

Why would anyone be "jelly" about a phone that came out almost a year ago and is half powered compared to the Atrix, which so far, Brizz and I have had no issues with at all. However, we both had issues with the iphone.

On the issues with my Atrix ... the particular AT&T store I went to had three employees using the Atrix that experienced no problems with call quality. They all got their Atrixes on launch day. When they heard what mine sounded like they were pretty surprised at how bad it was compared to their Atrixes. Their only guess was that there is a bad batch floating around, and that the Atrixes on the shelves right now in some AT&T stores are from of that run.

On iPhones ... I never said I didn't have issues with my last iPhone, but then again, iPhone 3G's were pretty **** to begin with so it's not surprising. As far as raw power goes, I'd rather have a single-core phone that actually works well as a phone instead of a dual-core pocket monster that doesn't work well as a phone. iPhones and Android devices are pretty comparable in terms of features and what you can do with them, especially considering that they both have a lot of the same apps available. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the iPhone 4 operates.

I would definitely give the Atrix another try if Motorola fixes the issue before my 30-day return period is up. It's a bad-ass device, no question about it.

I define good call quality as "People on the other end can actually hear what the **** I'm saying."

Or it could just be improvements to the database in com.android.providers.telephony. Or an update to the dialer application. The changelog is way too ambiguous to know for sure.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Source? The 5+ sources I checked mention no call quality updates but agree on everything else, so I highly doubt it.
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...es/RN_Blur_Version.4.1.83.MB860.ATT.en.US.htm

Know what you are talking about before talking.
I'd also like to point out that what I've said before about Android fanboys being worse than pre-android Apple fanboys seems to be holding true. I keep seeing all these elitist anti-apple comments and douche baggery by Android fanboys and yet they say Apple fanboys are terrible. :lol: That's extremely hypocritical since I see very little Android bashing yet they try to get in low blows at every opportunity which is pretty pathetic. I'm a fan of both OS's but I find myself having to play devil's advocate and defend iphone all the time because of all the Android douche baggery. :shake:
It's still wrong. You are just looking for it, so you see it everywhere. Someone stating a fact looks to you like bashing.
Eh, I think it's more like Motorola's quality has gone down. They used to be the leader in cellphone speaker and call quality. From what I have been reading, their last few phones haven't been very good in this area. Don't forget that I also have a Nook Color running Cyanogen. Besides the lack of the hardware keys, I have no issues using it on a daily basis.
All I am saying is that there are two people in this thread who own the exact same phone and do not have any call quality issues and do not have poor battery life.
If you're referring to the 4.1.57 update (the only one available at http://www.motorola.com/Support/US-EN/Consumer-Support/Mobile-Phones/Motorola+ATRIX_4G ) then it's already been out for a while. I had the same update on my Atrix. No dice with the call quality.
I'm referring to the 83 update which just started rolling out.
On the issues with my Atrix ... the particular AT&T store I went to had three employees using the Atrix that experienced no problems with call quality. They all got their Atrixes on launch day. When they heard what mine sounded like they were pretty surprised at how bad it was compared to their Atrixes. Their only guess was that there is a bad batch floating around, and that the Atrixes on the shelves right now in some AT&T stores are from of that run.
Go get one from Costco, that's where I got mine... for $100 less than the AT&T store :p
On iPhones ... I never said I didn't have issues with my last iPhone, but then again, iPhone 3G's were pretty **** to begin with so it's not surprising. As far as raw power goes, I'd rather have a single-core phone that actually works well as a phone instead of a dual-core pocket monster that doesn't work well as a phone. iPhones and Android devices are pretty comparable in terms of features and what you can do with them, especially considering that they both have a lot of the same apps available. I have to say I've been pleasantly surprised by how smoothly the iPhone 4 operates.
I don't necessarily have a problem with iPhones. I owned one and my wife still owns one. However, I don't like them. I don't like iOS and I don't like how Apple manages the platform. Some people do. Whatever. There is some stuff on my Atrix that is worse than the iPhone for sure, however the things that are better I think are better enough that the stuff that is worse just doesn't matter.
Or it could just be improvements to the database in com.android.providers.telephony. Or an update to the dialer application. The changelog is way too ambiguous to know for sure.
Yep, it is. But there were changes made to calling. How that will affect calling is anyone's guess until people who are having problems try it.

Like I said, I have no problems. Jackal has no problems. It seems like the vast majority of people with Atrixes are not having call quality problems.

Vaskadar

It's time I look back from outer space
Feb 12, 2008
Fort Lauderdale, FL
My smartphone sucks so bad, that it's not even a smart phone. To be honest, I'm very last generation, in terms of phone tech. I don't bother changing because it's money that could be going elsewhere, to more important things.

Technological consumerism? Yes.

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
http://www.motorola.com/staticfiles...es/RN_Blur_Version.4.1.83.MB860.ATT.en.US.htm

Know what you are talking about before talking.

It's still wrong. You are just looking for it, so you see it everywhere. Someone stating a fact looks to you like bashing.

Outgoing/incoming call funtionality != in progress sound/connection quality. :hmm:
The HSUPA-enabling update? No, not yet. The voice call quality fix? In the pipeline. The mission-critical Bluetooth multimedia experience improvements? Oh yes, we've got those right here! Motorola is preparing to deliver an imminent OTA update to its Atrix 4G super phone, which will fix up battery performance, overall software stability, and car dock, headphone jack, and fingerprint reader performance, but will regrettably leave the two major drawbacks to the AT&T-riding phone untouched.
http://www.engadget.com/2011/03/28/atrix-4gs-4-1-57-update-spruces-up-a-few-things-patches-known/

Meh.

As for the bashing, maybe I'm wrong in the big picture, but where I've been and on this forum specifically I have never seen any iphone fans start crap but Android fans are the ones I've seen posting flamebait. "Oh hahahaHERRDERP u gotz an iphone? wut a dumbarse!1" That is a fact. :mad:

rofl,

android users calmly make statements and provide constructive discourse

iphone user (sleepyhead) makes wild accusations and blatantly trolls

THOSE ANDROID FAN BOYS ARE SO TERRIBLE

:lol:

Probably just feeding the troll, but look at your own posts, you haven't contributed anything to the argument, just confirming what I've said. Maybe even Brizz will agree with me on this one. :eek: