UT sever tweek w/ cable modem -- question

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

fordman

Hello

I'm new here and I'm sure what I'm going to ask might be a repeat but I'll ask any way.
I've been running a UT server full time for about a year now. Its always in dedicated mode and is a fairly endowed machine with UT running version 436. I have @home cable modem service which about two months ago they capped my upload from 50K to 15K. The server still seems to perform quite well with 6 to 8 UT clients allowed. I've been trying to tweak it as much as I can over the last few months in efforts to squeeze the best ping possible for the UT clients over the cable modem. I have tried lots of experiments with the MAX tick rate and the max client down load rate while testing on local machines with some success. I've ended up with the tick rate at 60 and the client down load rate at 2700. The biggest problem that I cant seem to over come and wondering if its tweakable is that I've heard that some times... clients can bring bad ping with them and make it rough for the rest of the players. In an effort to keep this from happening I've shut off down loads and thought I had my LAN set up pretty good. The Server has its own IP and the rest of my house uses another IP and a router and switches. I can have as many as 6 to 8 players on board some times and the pings for most will average from 70 to 200 and then all of sudden some one comes in with a 800 or higher and then the rest of the clients seem to suffer from this but not the "in house" machines on the LAN which will usually ping about 15 all the time. Any thing more I can do or might have over looked?

Thanks

Imaginos

Deathball addict?
Sep 13, 2000
New Joisey, USA
Visit site
This blurb comes from http://www.theadminpage.com a VERY good source for UT admin help.

How Many Users?
A common question, and I'll give you my answer. Let's say, for this example, you have a 768/384 KB/sec DSL line. What I suggest you do is divide your outgoing bandwidth by 28.8 KB/sec, then multiply that result by .9. Based on your bandwidth alone, you should be able to comfortably run a dedicated (not listen) server for 12 people. Going with a higher max players is only going to slow down performance for all players.

Fordman, using this general formula, you may want to adjust your max client connect rate value down a little to prevent your lan gang from hogging all the avail bandwidth from the internet players. Might hurt a little in-house, but you gotta cap each players' share to leave enough to go around.
Hope that helps you some!