Remix maps or no new maps at all?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Demo_Boy

Incindiary
Jan 1, 2004
Toronto
A Remix map means an existing map that has been modified, but has the same base & terrain layout:
-retexture
-moved deploys, gens
-turret & vehicle swaps
-etc...

Examples would include:
Snowrocco
Gecko
Wintergarden
Lowlands (snow version)

Question 1:
If you had to choose between regular releases of remixes or no new maps at all, which would you choose?
-I like remixes, even when it's just a theme swap like Wintergarden.

Question 2:
Should there be a standard naming convention for remix maps to differentiate them from new maps?

Question 3:
Should there be limits on which maps get remixes?
-ie. don't remix CBP maps.

p37g01df15h

/me bubbles
Feb 25, 2004
Well of course anyone would choose remixes, but new maps are always welcome. Currently working on XMP-Cemetary with custom textures/static meshes to get away from the normal XMP look. :)

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
I see the point in the remixes...it helps you learn and such...but it doesnt mean you have to release it. I'd prefer to see more original maps anyway. And not just DM and Room maps, but actuall XMP levels. The Terrain editor isnt hard to use, people.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
actually, ive designed about a dozen or so levels that will never be released. Just use them to learn how to do things, make things, etc. That means the maps that you do release will be sooo much better. :D

WolfmanK

Puppet Master of BBF
Mar 28, 2004
Webster, NY
wolfmank.blogsite.org
Xaero said:
actually, ive designed about a dozen or so levels that will never be released. Just use them to learn how to do things, make things, etc. That means the maps that you do release will be sooo much better. :D

I like new maps even if they are room maps or DMs redesigns are cool and all but more newer = more gooder
;)

-=McBean=-

*=)Bean(=*
Mar 16, 2004
England
www.ia-squad.de.vu
I don't really like remix maps because they are always made by people that disagree with the layout of the original map, they just edit it to what they see as fair and yet aagain others will disagree with their layout.

The simplest way is for people to just make their own 'original' maps, otherwise all we will ever be doing is playing the same maps with slight changes to them continuely and for me the idea of that seems really dull. People have already played the map, we don't need any other versions of it! If changes need to be made to sort out fps, then only the neccesary changes should be mad, the rest of the map should remain the same.

The people that designed the original maps, designed them that way for a reason, it's how they saw the map as being played, to move or remove deploys, gens, turrets, vehicles is just changing how the map should be played. It's like taking a massive map and moving all the gameplay down to one end, it shouldn't be done....

If we are in need of new original maps so badly I will try get in contact with some mappers I know, hopefully they will be able to bring some new maps to the community.

btw this is just my opinion, if I offended anyone it wasn't intended, I just think maps should be original and not edited versions...

Last edited:

Saito

Banned
Dec 30, 2003
I hate to say it however the tutorial DVD with 2k4 really helped me out allot with the U engine games. I would heartily recomend any of you that can find it check it out and give it a look.

As far as maps go if I ever get of my ass and finish I will push it out, I just haven't had the urge to fix the last couple things with it (mainly to help the frame rate, as one of xmps major faults is horrid frame rates on several maps and I wanted not to fall into that trap).

I dunno, but I do think that some new maps would help. I don't just mean not a remix, I mean new idea. Instead of "vast out door open area thats bascialy the same crap over and over again" like pretty much every map out there. Freefall was new, some sunset was to... after that it just got to be the same crap and got borring uber fast.

So anyways if I get off my ass I will finish up my urban map... now if only I could make maya not ****ing crash on me.

edit:

out door maps are uber fun, and help allot with vehicle use possiblities, however are not the best thing for frame rates. :(

Last edited:

Whacked

not just a name...
Feb 17, 2004
Isnt there already a winter lowlands? I remember it a while back....had Liz in the name somewhere...

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
-=McBean=- said:
I don't really like remix maps because they are always made by people that disagree with the layout of the original map, they just edit it to what they see as fair and yet aagain others will disagree with their layout.

The simplest way is for people to just make their own 'original' maps, otherwise all we will ever be doing is playing the same maps with slight changes to them continuely and for me the idea of that seems really dull. People have already played the map, we don't need any other versions of it! If changes need to be made to sort out fps, then only the neccesary changes should be mad, the rest of the map should remain the same.

The people that designed the original maps, designed them that way for a reason, it's how they saw the map as being played, to move or remove deploys, gens, turrets, vehicles is just changing how the map should be played. It's like taking a massive map and moving all the gameplay down to one end, it shouldn't be done....

If we are in need of new original maps so badly I will try get in contact with some mappers I know, hopefully they will be able to bring some new maps to the community.

btw this is just my opinion, if I offended anyone it wasn't intended, I just think maps should be original and not edited versions...

Well man, I think you hit the nail right on the head there.

Also, just want to spam some more... May 14th, www.alienpod.com is panning to release an XMP Map pack, featuring (currently) 13 high quality maps (1 is not really intended for normal server rotation). Mappers such as Air, Reeps, TheJackal, Peter Carlson, Styx, myself, plus more have all contributed. Keep an eye on Alienpod in the comming days for more information.

Xaero

Who Dey!
Oct 11, 2003
Cincinnati
www.xaero.us
Saito said:
I hate to say it however the tutorial DVD with 2k4 really helped me out allot with the U engine games. I would heartily recomend any of you that can find it check it out and give it a look.

Nothing wrong with that. In fact, I learned to map from the 2K3 version of those videos available @ 3dbuzz.com. its about 95% the same from what I remember, XMP just has a few added things (deploys, gens, nodes) while it lacks 2KX player starts, weapons pickups, etc.

-=McBean=-

*=)Bean(=*
Mar 16, 2004
England
www.ia-squad.de.vu
Xaero said:
Well man, I think you hit the nail right on the head there.

Also, just want to spam some more... May 14th, www.alienpod.com is panning to release an XMP Map pack, featuring (currently) 13 high quality maps (1 is not really intended for normal server rotation). Mappers such as Air, Reeps, TheJackal, Peter Carlson, Styx, myself, plus more have all contributed. Keep an eye on Alienpod in the comming days for more information.

Just signed up, gonna start keeping track ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.