Death of Gaming

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
There's an article on the front page about who's killing PC gaming. And I was thinking about this forum which has been more robust in former years. I'm going to make the assumption that all of us at one stage joined this forum because we liked playing the Unreal series before it became a series. Does anyone here still play PC games? If not, does that prove they're dead?

I don't play games on the PC anylonger, nor do I play them on console. The first reason I don't play them is a change in values, I prefer other kinds of hobbies. Second reason though, is that games have only tried to become more "realistic" and I play games because they aren't like real life. Duh.

Anyone else have an opinion?

QUALTHWAR

Baitshop opening soon.
Apr 9, 2000
Nali City, Florida
web.tampabay.rr.com
I still play PC games. Tiger Woods golf, Age of Empires. I don’t have any unreal games installed at the moment, but was thinking just today that it would be nice to play some Unreal.

I would assume that Wi would hurt PC games. That and the novelty of playing PC games have worn away. Kids growing up today are exposed to so much technology that the ability to play a game on their PC or laptop, or phone is assumed.

The generation before saw the introduction of Asteroids and other games that they could play at home for the first time; they didn’t have to go to an arcade and feed quarters to play. Shinobi came out, poker for the PC, and other games were fun because you could play over and over without feeding quarters into a machine and could sit on your couch while playing. It was as if you bought one of those gaming machines in an arcade and brought it home.

The older people who have grown up with playing PC games see a new way to play with Wi. Younger people who never had to go to an arcade if they wanted to play a game don’t appreciate PC games. I don’t think PC games are dead, but the novelty of playing them have worn off and other ways to play games have been introduced.

Chrysaor

Lord of the Pants
Nov 3, 2001
Hiding in your Attic
Yeah there certainly is a novelty to shooting people in a box on your desk.

One of my dad's favorite stories is when he would take me to play Galaga at a local arcade. I was only tall enough to barely reach the Fire button, but I would just mash it non-stop while he dodged and avoided the missiles, and he tells me we made a really good team.

oosyxxx

teh3vilspa7ula
Jan 4, 2000
I sit all day at a computer for a job so spending more time playing games only accelerates the progression of CTS despite all the ergonomic evals and adjustments I've had over the years at work. Yesterday I played a bit of Day of Defeat and UT3 and didn't enjoy either since my hands just hurt too much. I also just finished GTA IV: TLAD and am continuining to play UFC: Undisputed online on XBOX 360 so I guess that's the extent of my gaming. It'd be nice to hear what's going on in all the NC folks' lives but it sounds like a lot of people are either bored, having a tough time or are just apathetic or don't feel like sharing.

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
PC gaming costs a lot of money for a good rig. Plus you need to have two brain cells to rub together to make things work. A few more beers and I'll buy a console.

Firefly

United Kingdom is not a country.
I like how people have been saying that pc gaming has been "dying" for over 10 years now. Probably longer than that as I remember the debates when I first joined the Unreal community. No doubt it'll continue to "die" for another 10 years.
Plus gaming is not dying just changing with the casual market bringing in the cash and there will always be the enthusiasts' market. AAA PC titles will always be around and remember that bad console ports have been with us since the start of the consoles. It's nothing new.

Last edited:

Twrecks

Spectacularly Lucky
Mar 6, 2000
In Luxury
www.twrecks.info
There's still a pulse, however was declared brain dead and the reproductive organs were removed and divided between Microsoft, Sony and Nintendo. No entity has claimed the heart.

OO7MIKE

Mr. Sexy
May 2, 2000
Nalicity, NC
Consoles rule the market... however in the last few years mobile gaming for the ipod Touch, iPhone, iPad, and the andriod market has risen to the occasion. People like casual gaming with easy to use controls. For $1 you can get a game that will last you for many hours and you wont have to lug around a much larger portable gaming system.

I do miss the height of PC gaming. Its still around but it doesn't have as much life in it as it once did. It's also kinda spendy to keep up with the latest and greatest games. The entire concept of upgrading just to play a new game is kinda silly.

Now that I have almost exclusively switch over to apple products... just not going to happen for me.

Rapistat

Jul 15, 2010
No PC gaming is not dead, afterall, you need a PC to make the crap for consoles.

I say every "video game" is made on a PC and with new hardware nothing can top it.