Video card not there....sort of

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
I uninstalled GLSetup (the program that automatically downloads and installs video drivers for you) without realizing that I was obviously uninstalling something to do with my video card, cause it went screwy. I reinstalled GLSetup and let it do it's thing, installed the video drivers from the disk, updated ones for the Asus website (my card is an Asus 7100 series GF2 MX), and the detonator drivers. None of them made a difference. I tried booting 4 different games to see if they would work. Carmageddon 2 only sees my 2D software drivers, Unreal Tournament will only work in a window (if I try and maximize the screen just flashes and there's still just a window), and Return to Castle Wolfenstein and Medal of Honor gave me "cannot load OpenGL subsystem" errors.

What happened and what can I do about it?

NeoNite

Starsstream
Dec 10, 2000
In a stream of stars
about the "cannot load opengl subsystem" :hmm:
I remember getting this error two years ago, when I had trouble running q3...
Thing is, I had to uninstall my vc (voodoo banshee) etc...
Then I reinstalled the vc, drivers everything.. updated the drivers and well the problem was solved :-I
And yes I also had to use glsetup :)
I don't remember using if for Ut though. Ut detected my vc and suggested running the game in glide.

Blorgg

Feb 7, 2000
The Netherlands
www.nachos.tk
If you have a video card with an Nvidia chip on it(TNT1,2,GF1,2,3,4) you shouldn't f00l around with OpenGL setup but just go to the drivers section of the Nvidia website and download the latest official drivers there. They are still at 23.11 now, I'm using 27.42 for W2K/XP
http://www.pcextreme.de/downloads/detonator/27.42_WinXP.exe
Win9x/ME here:
http://www.pcextreme.de/downloads/detonator/27.42_Win9x.exe

Without any problems. But these drivers are not supported by Nvidia. So if you want to be on the save side download drivers from the Nvidia site :)

Last edited by a moderator:

Law

I see...
May 2, 2000
Visit site
How much of a performance increase have you had with the 27.42 drivers? I've been considering installing them, but I haven't been having any problems with the 23.11 drivers.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
I installed both the 23.11 drivers and the 27.42. Neither of them fixed the problem. And like I said above, I also installed the ones from the cd and the newer ones from the Asus web site. Nothing is working.

I noticed that in the Medal of Honor auto-configure window, it says I have 16mb of video ram, but my card is 32mb. I don't know if it was like this when it was working though. Could this have something to do with it? How do I convince the computer that it's using a 32mb card and not a 16mb? I've uninstalled the card quite a few times, btw.

Deathwing

Raucous Rodentia
Mar 15, 2000
Canada
Asus drivers are automatically installed after restart, even if I've installed the card as a standard display adapter.