Player Speed in Standoff

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.
S

Six

Just being curious.

Probably I missed it somewhere, but what is actually the rationale behind the reduced player speed in standoff?

Would it make a real difference in gameplay, if one would move at the normal speed as in Inf Deathmatch?

P.S.: This is my first post here, so I have to say it (again): Infiltration is just a great mod. I don't wanna play anything else anymore. I like the little community meeting on the SOB Standoff server every night, it's real fun.

W

Warren

Heck yeah- that SOB server is a lot of fun! I think I just sent you an email in response to that question, but for anyone else who's interested, let me answer that here as well.

The basic idea behind StandOff's game speed to make everything more strategic. Most people are used to the deathmatch speeds and say, making it across an open platform or street without needing cover since you're moving so fast. With StandOff you have to think about your move much more. You
have to hide in the shadows, etc. (except when playing bots because unfortunately they don't see shadows) /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif It's more a thinking mans mode. You play each move with time to consider all of them-- At the same time however, I have been killed countless times because I couldn't run out of the way of an incoming missile or grenade. This is one of those trade-off's for Unreal because it only has 2 game speeds.. run and walk. And the default speed is run- so in StandOff, you're actually running and the only speed you can go from there is slower /infopop/emoticons/icon_frown.gif If UT has any features regarding this, we may add some kind of burst speed button or something.

K

kamikazi

First off - for those of you who wonder why I post with 2 names, it is because I don't know the passwords and have 2 users with the password writen down on each comp for only one user. Thus... DEAL WITH IT! /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

Second, I would like to add that StandOff makes you use skill and have patience to defeat the enemy. This is more like real life. I love this mod!!

Thirdly. I would like to note that, being an admin on said SOB server, there is a code I know to change the game speed. The code is "slomo #" and 1 is default, lower or higher numbers produce obvious effect. I don't know if this would be implementable into StandOff, but I'm tellin' ya just in case!

[ Jedi Catch ]

S

Six

Hi.
To add things to the discussion:

It is not that I cannot live with the existing game speed, BUT I still think that the major factor for using skills and thought in this mod is NOT the speed, but the fact that when you get killed, you do not come back before the next round! This is what makes me very carefully about my steps. Speed would only allow me to be able to have quicker reactions in a firefight and collect ammunition more effective before facing the enemy.

(by the way, I hate it when team mates already equipped with a nice rifle steal snatch weapons infront of me :) , but what can you do against that except smiling, hey)

Keep on fragging,
Six.

K

kamikazi

Actually, as far as the faster reflexes in a fight, turning is the same speed as normal, as well as looking up and down. Getting to weapons shouldn't be a problem if you start off in different bases, but if it is, you have to use skill rather than big guns to fend off the enemy. Many times have I had to decapitate someone with the pistol because I had no weapon other than that, but it is hard, I agree.

I like it the way it is, in fact, I wouldn't want any artifact that would make you run faster. But that is just me /infopop/emoticons/icon_smile.gif

------------------

[ Jedi Catch ]
SOB Clan and Jedi Forums!!