CTF-Frostburn 99.99999% done

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Lord Dill

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
I've been fiddling around with this level for a long while now... for the most part its been the bots, everytime i change something i have to retest the bots :(

TELL me if you find anything wrong with the level... I do want it flawless :) I've tried to keep the polys under 200... most places are under 100

][ Changes in this version ][

This version has a Third entrance with bots that DO use it
Flak cannon was moved and ripper was added to level

][ Changes from older versions ][

Snow looks ALOT better
Bots attack different routes
tweaked some lighting and aligned some textures

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Ok, I like the layout of this map, I played with 7 bots and there was always something going on without things getting crowded,
although bots seemed like sitting ducks when they lined up to use the elevator that's outside ( nice snow effect btw )

What exactly is the point of the one way repspawning windows ? ....audio cues ? seems a bit over the top. Maybe quick spawning health vials would save on resources... and I never noticed the bots getting the damage amp... maybe it was just luck.

I really liked the geometry in this map... nothing really to get hung up on... nice details like the computers and dials, good continuity throughout the level.
The little hump outside on the ground, seems a bit unnecessary, doesn't add anything to the look of that section.
Texturing was nice and balanced.. if a little bland ? ..maybe that's what you wanted... minimilistic ? ...great use of the masked textures in the walkway section.

I can't really comment on the lighting, I had the gamma on full due to glare. I'll take a look at it later tonight when that's not a problem.

Overall a nice clean map :)

Lord Dill

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
Stilgar: Bots do go for the amp... usually only the bots defending or freelancing

And about the breaking glass... it respawns every 1 min, so i don't think its a resource hog... is it? I wanted to use breaking glass because hardly any maps have it.

the lifts do cause the bots to line up... oh well, what you gonna do

The little hump outside on the ground, seems a bit unnecessary... were you wondering where the bots found the shield belt?

StoneViper: Inhuman... are you crazy ;) its hard to cap a flag on masterful

StoneViper

you can call me Mike
Nov 3, 2001
N43° 03' 16" :::: W77° 36' 03"
Originally posted by Lord Dill

StoneViper: Inhuman... are you crazy ;) its hard to cap a flag on masterful

Maybe i am crazy, but im no newb. when i find myself in a wide open room with one inhuman bot (and both of us have the same or similar weapons) i usually kill him without a scratch on me. Godlike however is well... Im not a god yet. I play on inhuman because the bots can impact jump and do other things better, and smarter.

...and of'course it poses a little challenge on me, and i usually have little trouble capturing flags on inhuman.

Stilgar

Ninja
Dec 20, 1999
Toitle
Visit site
Like I said, it was just luck... the bots were grabbing the amp it after I gave the map a few more goes. ( I play on masterful btw )
I stilll dont see the point of that little mound.... belt or otherwise, it just looks silly.

Lord Dill

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
/Lord Dill puts his foot down

mound is staying :) it might look a little odd but adds an element to the gameplay... is the Shield Belt there for the taking?!?!?!?! ONLY BOTS KNOW :)

smeerkat

Hello, old friend...
Mar 10, 2001
Canada
www.kens.net
one problem

frostburn.gif

DialAJunk

fl;ksisj
May 1, 2000
Denver, CO
Nooooo!
That is not a problem. It looks much better.
The snow was too sparce before.
We are on the eve of Unreal2, now. Everyone better upgrade... 'cause no one wants to hear that a custom U2 level is too detailed for thier system.
(This is considering that the new Unreal engine will run better on today's hardware than the current Unreal engine, so don't go making a technical issue out of this...... *you know who you are*)

Lord Dill

Jul 25, 2001
Visit site
wow, those are some rather low frame rates outside??? im not sure why they are so low, i am on a 450 voodo 2 and get over 30 f/s outside... is it just that low outside? if so, it might be a video driver issue... some drivers don't like sheets at all

my friend bought a new dell, 1.8 gig and it runs UT like butter with Windows Mil... however they sent an upgrade to XP a month later, he installed and half of his games didn't work, UT ran at 10 f/s and the snow in my level looked shetty... he did a rollback the same night :)

and yes, the snow has been vastly improved