Vista scare...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
...anyone else paranoid? The early 2007 release, the buddy, buddy situation with MS?

Entr0p1cLqd

May 25, 2004
Not this time around.

Midway are the publishers for UT2007 and I can't see them wanting to cut out a massive market.

The whole M$ buddy thing is all about GoW - it's looking like it's going to be a killer-game for the X-Box360. When the PC version eventually gets released I suspect it will be Vista only though.

Anyone who moves from XP to Vista just to play a game is a fool imho.

In-The-Jungle

May 4, 2006
I'll be upgrading to Vista either way. So, I don't really care if it's Vista only. :)

Although I seriously doubt they'd do that.

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
I see plenty of reasons to avoid Vista.
The integration of the things that will lead to 'trusted computing' are the #1 reason.

Never mind that the GUI itself is so inefficient that they needed a SLI-based system just to get it up to speed. If that same machine can render a few million polygons with tons of shaders and textures then you know there's something very wrong.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
Not to mention you need 2GB of memory just to run an old game like Far Cry because Vista uses so many resources.

Jofo

Apr 11, 2006
We dont know anything about vista though, i'm wanting to upgrade for the basic version, cause who the heck needs aeroglass anyway? Another thing is that new sound driver thing they are implementing, I dont know the details but its about being able to customize per app or something. More than likely they overhauled the looks as usual with a hint of zazz and a few new features.

The M$'s vista only thing does annoy me, they really think they can make a profit my releasing Halo2 for vista only, pfft.:D Making GOW for vista only would require extra work and money because the unreal engine is already designed to work on linux? mac? ps3? xbox? so really it might not happen. Besides every linux fan will be PO'd and eventually people will pirate it because of M$ being a jerk and being happy with an older OS. But more than likely they will make every dx10 game vista only cause they want $$$ but not happy people.

those are my 7 cents

Theres the fact that Vista will have a built in DRM and a nice "uninstallable" program that will search your PC for illegal copies of software/music. Until someone comes out with a patch or something, Vista can piss off. I'll stick with XP. And 2k7 will not be Vista only. I can tell you that right now. They won't loose 90% of the market just because.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
I don't believe that it will be vista exclusive.

But man, you guys have come up with some wierd ideas. Vista will actually have a SMALLER footprint when playing games than XP, it's only a system hog when you are looking at the Aero GUI-which is extremely processor and GPU intensive ('cause it's purdy). These things are mutually exclusive, so it's not going to be a problem unless you play your games windowed (in which case, I have nothing to say to you)

The only thing I'm annoyed with is the support of HDCP which won't be a problem with Games but will be a pain in the ass when I'm going to want a blu-ray drive in my computer and be forced to upgrade my non-HDMI monitor. Stupid freaking movie industry.

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
dragonfliet said:
I don't believe that it will be vista exclusive.

But man, you guys have come up with some wierd ideas. Vista will actually have a SMALLER footprint when playing games than XP, it's only a system hog when you are looking at the Aero GUI-which is extremely processor and GPU intensive ('cause it's purdy). These things are mutually exclusive, so it's not going to be a problem unless you play your games windowed (in which case, I have nothing to say to you)

The only thing I'm annoyed with is the support of HDCP which won't be a problem with Games but will be a pain in the ass when I'm going to want a blu-ray drive in my computer and be forced to upgrade my non-HDMI monitor. Stupid freaking movie industry.

That's how they claimed it would work, it hasn't worked out that way so far through beta releases, it's a huge system hog even in gaming.

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
BeerGut said:
That's how they claimed it would work, it hasn't worked out that way so far through beta releases, it's a huge system hog even in gaming.
Beta releases are for the purpose or working those problems out. Things like that are most definately large reasons for the delay, so I have no doubt that while it will have plenty of annoying bugs at launch, that won't be one of them.

I shall be getting it for the new kernel and forward compatability, not to mention DX10. We'll see how the rest of it works out from there.

~Jason

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Instead of starting a new thread i'll post this here since it fits the topic quite well...

1) First of, yes i do have a 64BIT processor and i currently have the Windows XP 32 BIT version, to get straight to the point, will it be possible to run UT2007 in 64 BIT mode with what i run on ATM? Or upgrating to Vista will be the only way?

2) Will the current mobo's bios read Vista when it comes out or there will be another "lolol motherboard" to buy at this point aswell?

Neophoenix

Bast's Pet
Aug 4, 2005
Things I know that worries me:

1) Microsoft is the largest known legalized hacker company. They always invade your privacy without your permission.

2) Windows OS are usually unstable, and unsecure when they first come out.

3) With all the next generation games being 64 bit what other than Vista and Linux, which no one supports, will be able to run at 64 bit?

4) Games like Halo2 are already going to be Vista exclusive so why would UT be any different?

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
It's Not about requiring it. I want to use it.

I own a 64 BIT processor and i never runed on 64 BIT yet. It's the AMD athlon 3700 @ 2.2 GHZ. I do imagine that 64 BIT is extremely powerful.

TheSomian

Freak
Dec 22, 2005
Germany
www.paythegame.net
u can play it on linux... afaik there will be a linux port, too....

but the 64-bit mode: somewhere i read, that direct X10 will suport 64-bit-colours, too.... do you know any SCREEN, displaying 64-bit-colours?

Crowze

Bird Brain
Feb 6, 2002
Cambridgeshire, UK
www.dan-roberts.co.uk
Kantham, you will need a 64-bit OS to use 64-bit apps. Doesn't mean you have to use Vista though.

As for me, I'll probably get Vista when my next upgrade comes around. Since that will be my 64-bit upgrade, I might as well get a new OS, and I'm sure my current system will see me until at least Vista SP1. But Epic/Midway would be foolish not to support as many platforms as possible.

Last edited:

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
Ok and let's say that i buy Vista, at this time i will be able to run UT2007 in 64 BIT no problem, but will i still be able to run all my current Aplications such as UT2004, UED 3.0 and all the rest? Like a kind of 32 BIT simulator that works great?