How do I maximize UT:GOTY experience on my system?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Paganini2012

Jul 18, 2012
Hey everyone

I have an Intel Core i5-2320 @ 3.00 ghz, 12 gigs ram, Win 7 Pro x64, ATI Radeon 4600 series.

I am using OPENGL utglr37 as of right now. For some strange reason stat fps is no longer giving me a fps display in the top right. It just stopped appearing.... or would say "Recording: NO."

Is there anything I can do with my current setup to absolutely maximize the frame rate and get the game as smooth as possible. Any tricks?
I have the latest drivers and all that for my system devices. It is really smooth as is... but I want more!

Is there a newer version of OPENGL available that I can use? Any help would be appreciated.

UT99

Ewan

Paganini2012

Jul 18, 2012
I have lots of files in my cache and don't want to run a fresh install. I can watch any demo I want right now because I have all the cshp files and so forth. Any info on the "recording: no" would be great. Do you think I could get FPS as high as 150 - 200 with my setup? I can get 78fps stable on UT3.

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
OpenGL 3.7 is currently latest. If you want better visuals, then go for S3TC textures. You can get FPS counter from Tools -> TimeDemo Statistics.

Paganini2012

Jul 18, 2012
I have S3 textures enabled in console/preferences. Does that mean they are automatically working? I can't really see a difference to be honest. (using Open GL)

Raynor.Z

Ad Nocendum Potentes Sumus
Feb 1, 2006
If you have everything correctly set, then you should notice differences. Below are some examples from DM-Codex, CTF-Dreary and CTF-Face.

szbua9.jpg

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
There are a few cache cleaner progs. try another. (UT-Files.com is your friend)

ATI cards tend to perform better with the DX9 renderer, and nVidia with the OpenGL.
Using ATITool or equivalent should show you GFX-RAM usage while playing.

Using the DX renderer allows you to play with the ENB mod if you can get the config to look ok.

Raynor's tweaks guide is one of the best there is for UT99. I believe if you look at the bottom of it you will find a link to the Unreal texture project.
Go there and get the pack that suits the RAM of your GFX card.

Install the UT99 community pack v2
and Wormbo's Enhanced Items

I second Skills on this.
Ask yourself if your monitor runs at 60Hz, why render extra frames you can never see?
Also ask your self, how many fps the human eye can see ? (less)

Everyone seems to think they are a bird and can see at high-speed !
Faster fps was originally created to reduce monitor-flicker.
I remember pre-multi-sync monitors of 25-30Hz like PAL-NTSC.
The writing used to flicker (like it does with the scrolling credits on a TV), so they upped it to 60+

Paganini2012

Jul 18, 2012
ut texture website

Do you think the extreme end textures would work on my system as listed?

In the downloads page (ut textures.com) I don't see any active links for downloading.. perhaps I am looking in the wrong part of the website.

Is the community pack 2 just maps only?
What is wormbos mod?

Cheers,
ED

Last edited:

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
No way to tell as you didn't state how much video RAM you have !
The texture site gives the recommendations
http://www.uttexture.com/UT/Website/Downloads/Textures/Textures.htm

Wormbo's Enhanced items does many things, and one of them is a cool overlay on your weapons when you use relics etc.

The community pack includes and shows-off the included "Xpickups" system ported from UT200x
But even if it was just maps, you should as you have never seen great jungle in UT99 until you've been in Creavion's maps. Stunning.

There are links to everything on my old links page. There is plenty of up-to-date addons, including other audio drivers and the EAX patch for the Galaxy audio renderer.
http://my.opera.com/Unreal-Tournament/blog/dr-flays-links
You should also get "Paradox's UT Enhancements" as he made the skeletal fix that newer models require.

Paganini2012

Jul 18, 2012
Ok.. RUN > DXDIAG says I have 2778MB approx total GFX memory.

uttextures.com seems to be having issues as there are no links available to download from. Maybe the site was just down yesterday dunno. There was no text I could hover over and click to download or go anywhere (once inside textures page)

dr.flay

Dr.Flay™
Sep 19, 2011
Kernow, UK
yourunreal.wordpress.com
You have more than enough for the extreme set (I am surprised you did not already know how much RAM your GFX card has).

Unfortunately the downloads there do work. The design of the site however does not :(
After hunting through, I finally found them (pointlessly complex OCD site).
... but I thought I'd give you easier links instead (ain't I nice)
http://www.oldunreal.com/textures.html
http://www.uttexture.com.nyud.net/UT/Downloads/Textures/

Some textures have not been converted as extreme end, so you'll have to make do with some high end ones.
http://www.uttexture.com.nyud.net/UT/Downloads/Textures/S3TCHighEnd/Author/

Last edited: