Winows XP 64bit

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Mr. Apocalypse

My brain must be broken
Oct 16, 2001
Everywhere but here or there
I hear a rumor that Micro$oft is letting people upgrade their XP 32bit to 64bit for free. When I checked it out it was asking for a credit card. DiD I miss it? or is the credit card for like referencing or something that doesnt make sense but still gives me a small ray of hope that I can get XP 64 for free (and legal)

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Mr. Apocalypse said:
I hear a rumor that Micro$oft is letting people upgrade their XP 32bit to 64bit for free. When I checked it out it was asking for a credit card. DiD I miss it? or is the credit card for like referencing or something that doesnt make sense but still gives me a small ray of hope that I can get XP 64 for free (and legal)
I dont think they'll charge your credit card without you knowing :p

Mappie

--Total World Domination--
Nov 9, 2002
maryland, USA
Visit site
I thought that you could download it from their site and try it out for "x" number of days. But I never botherd due to the fact that I dont care yet. That and the last windows OS that I run will probably be XP 32..... Hopefully. Some new linux distributions are looking good. anyways.. peace

Derelan

Tracer Bullet
Jul 29, 2002
Toronto, Ontario
Visit site
Mappie said:
I thought that you could download it from their site and try it out for "x" number of days. But I never botherd due to the fact that I dont care yet. That and the last windows OS that I run will probably be XP 32..... Hopefully. Some new linux distributions are looking good. anyways.. peace
"In order to install this application you have downloaded, you need to un gzip it, untar it, compile it, and run it."

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Yes, it's true that you can send in your 32 bit copy and get a 64 bit copy for the cost of shipping. No idea what that specifically costs. I don't even know what Windows costs.

TheShiningWizard

Because it's more fantastical.
Jun 26, 2000
The obligatory...
20020722l.gif

SaraP

Feb 12, 2002
The Land of the Governator
If you want it, get it NOW; July 31 is the last day you can get a free upgrade through the Technology Advancement Program. And no, you don't have to surrender your 32-bit WinXP; you just give them your product ID. Shipping and handling is $12, and they started shipping July 14...I'm expecting mine any day now.

erehwoN

The Bass Ackwards BTL
May 30, 2001
Wyoming, USA
Visit site
I was going to do that a few months ago, but didn't because I couldn't find anyone else who had tried it with a similar rig as mine. So.....those brave souls who do install it.....please let me know how it goes.

sandworm

[UMC] E-something
Mar 8, 2000
under a napkin
Visit site
erehwoN said:
I was going to do that a few months ago, but didn't because I couldn't find anyone else who had tried it with a similar rig as mine. So.....those brave souls who do install it.....please let me know how it goes.

Installed it and never use it. No daemon tools support for it (yet), no nostromo drivers for it, and it didn't have drivers for my adaptec scsi card that xp32 had, so 3/4 of my optical drives are useless. That was just from trying it for half an hour.. who knows what more usage would have turned up. Worth less than the nothing I paid for it.

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
Worth less than nothing.

if you are such a numbnuts that you need to pay your 200 bucks for crap, just wait until Longhorn comes on your new Alienware machine. there is no reason to upgrade your OS to 64 bit right now, there are no applications to take advatage of it, and 64bit-XP isnt a fully functional 64bit os.

that being said Linux is a fully featured 64bit os, and many distros have the software to take advantage of it. (for the record im sitting under linux right now.. looking at the links i use to play INF, Guild Wars and UT 2004 on my overclocked nvidia card... any of you waking up yet? ;))

Arethusa

We will not walk in fear.
Jan 15, 2004
Is Longhorn/Vista going to be fully 64 bit? I've been thinking of building a new computer, but dropping 2k doesn't seem worth it with the current hardware/software market.

Lt.

Elitist bastard
Aug 11, 2004
in urban Michigan(mostly)
Crowze said:
Guild Wars has a Linux client?... since I do play a few Windows-only games.

no, Guild Wars is a silly little game written for silly gumdrop computers.
Cedega

Buying it and supporting amaturish programmers (forgodssake *I* can use OpenGL, what is *their* problem.) was a tough decision, but no subscription fees was enough of a dont-be-evil push for me to go ahead.