really delete the file

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
What's the best way to go about deleting a file on a PC so that it cannot be "undeleted"?

<center>
ZundSig4.gif
</center>

Dark Knight

Mar 29, 2001
Visit site
---Zund
Best way to totally delete a file is as follows....

1) Go into Dos (or a Win NT/2000) command prompt.
2) Make a note of the size of the file you want to delete.
3) Delete the file.
4) Make a new file that is slightly smaller than the one you have just deleted.

I dont know how much you know about (Windows/Dos) file systems so I'll explain the logic behind the above.

When you delete a file from your harddisk, all that is removed is the file header - the contents of the file are still there but because windows/dos doesnt see a file header it ignores the file (there are disk recovery progs that will recover these files). This "headerless" file remains on your harddisk untill you do one of two things a) defrag the disk or b) write a new file to the same area of the disk. Once a new file is written to the disk the old one is gone for good.
This only applies to Fat16/Fat32 disks, I'm not sure how NTFS handels things.

:~)

I used to rock and roll all night and party every day. Then it was every other day. Now I'm lucky if I can find half an hour a week in which to get funky.
-- Homer J. Simpson

Galaddin

Forum Drifter
Mar 15, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
You could always try rebooting windows in safe mode or DOS. You never know what files certain apps are using but generally you don't wanna mess with 'undeletable' files. :p

It's a wise person who knows the difference between free speech and cheap talk.

Lord_Bunker

Apr 18, 2000
Visit site
there are a few few progs you can download to do it. basically you need to delete it and then get it to right over that sector. keiichi you suggestion wouldn't work, there are places that specialize in data recovery and all they do is pull info from computers that have been in a building that burnt down. it's pretty supprising how much they can recover and how bad a disk can get.

firetatanka.jpg

FEAR!
http://www.geocities.com/lord_bunker/

owlofdoom

Mar 18, 2000
do you have win 98? if you right click on your hard drive, there is an option to "clear free space", but empty your recyce bin first

btw, just what do you need deleting so badly?

workinp.jpg

Goat Fucker

No Future!
Aug 18, 2000
Denmark
Visit site
Keiichi...i think u went a bit overboard, all u gotta do to destroy a hard-disk, is open it!

Gfsigil.jpg

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" color="white"size="2"><span style="font-size:10pt;width:100%;height:40pt;text-align:left;filter:wave(freq=2,strength=5,phase=3,lightstrength=20)color="black"><span on_mouseover="this.style.color='white'"onMouseout="this.style.color='white'">Fighting the fucking censorship!</span></font>

Zundfolge

Dec 13, 1999
USA
Actualy it's not on my computer.

It's on computer of the dead husband of a friend of my mothers, she found a second copy of his will and want's it super-erased so that the original will can't be contested.

I'm not sure whether or not it's win95, 98, MO, 2000, or NT. I imagine it's 95 or 98.

<center>
ZundSig4.gif
</center>

NRA

Apr 27, 2000
Visit site
Highlight the file and hold shift then press the delete key. It will ask you if you want to delete the file (rather than if you want to send it to the recycle bin) and after you press ok it is permanently erased from your computer.

N.R.A.

I_ABuGa

Vetran
Apr 27, 2000
Malaysia
Visit site
huh?
1. remove harddisk from PC chasis.
2. take 8 Kg hammer and smack the sucker a good one.
3. take to high place and drop.
4. ensure that interior magnetic disks are truly scrapped.
5. bury it with the bugger who owns it... owned it.

alternately, first empty the recycle bin, then defrag the HD.
Delete the file in question.
Empty your recycle bin again.
Log on to the internet and start downloading some pr0n, about 15 megs should be enuf.
Defrag the hard disk again, then remove the pr0n, empty recycle bin.

T101

Mar 15, 2000
Visit site
Another way to really clean out your HD is to wash it. No better way to get rid of those rusty magnetic particles than soap!

Earth, Soul, Rock 'n Roll