Battlefield Vietnam

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
EA Games has a way with publishing surprise hit titles. Who seriously thought Battlefield 1942 would be a good game? Who had even heard of it before its release? I sure hadn't. So naturally, after BF1942 and a few expansion packs later, EA felt it was time to add to the Battlefield franchise that has become a huge mega hit.

Battlefield Vietnam will at first seem almost like it should be a mod for BF1942. A lot of people are wondering if it is, so is it? Yes and no. In many ways it is just like BF1942. The huge maps, the vehicles, the way the gameplay works, all of that is similar to BF1942. But on a larger scale of course. There are tons more weapons and vehicles. All modeled after their real life counter parts from the Vietnam war. The thing that made BF1942 so popular were the vehicles, same thing here. The helicopters pretty much steal the show. They are very complicated to control at first, but once you get the hang of them they are a blast. The vehicles add a lot of atmosphere to BF: Vietnam aswell. Everything seems so alive when you see helicopters dropping troops off, or jet fighters dropping napalm on the hills and mountains.

It gets real intense though when you are attack a control point. Hiding in the bushs and tall grass in multiplayer games is a must if you want to survive. It is crazy when you are scanning the area and see muzzle fire coming from the grass, but you don't see the player shooting at you. This one time I walked over a hill and saw all this tall grass with machine gun fire spewing out of it. I never saw a single player in that grass, but I knew they were there because of the machine fun fire.

Because of how easy it is to hide and move around the map, you will be getting a lot of advantages to snipe and kill people. Dieing happens a lot in BF: Vietnam.

The maps like I mentioned earlier are huge. They are also wide open, and contain a lot of trees, bushs and tall grass. The landscape has a lot of water, and hills too. It all looks very realistic. There aren't any real set paths you can take in BF: Vietnam. Where in BF1942 there were a lot of choke points and places you were restricted to going. This means that in BF: Vietnam it is a lot easier to say come in from the back of a base and capture the flag so you can get that base. The maps maybe big but you never seem to be alone. You will also hear or see planes, helicopters and fire fights all around you as you walk around the terrarain. Of course you see it all the time when you are flying a helicopter or plane yourself!

My only real complaint with BF: Vietnam are the jet fighters. They move around the map way to quickly. It makes dropping napalm a huge chore, and I find myself going outside the boundries of the map way to often. If you go outside the boundries of the map you die.

You are also going to need a very powerful computer to run this. All the grass and trees puts a huge demand on even the most high end of computers. With the graphic detail up on high load times can take one to two mintes.

Overall BF: Vietnam is a wonderful multiplayer game. But it strictly though for the multiplayer, not for the single player, as the AI is worthless. It'll provide a challenge on the impossible difficulty setting, but only because of its amazing aim. Otherwise it is way to retarded with vehicles and using tactics. EA Games needs to get some pointers from Epic on how to do good AI. If the AI was good with the vehicles then I would even go as far as saying BF: Vietnam is the best first person shooter out this year so far. Otherwise it still ranks up there as being a very fun game.

I give BF: Vietnam 8/10 hot carls and totally recommend anyone who is a fan of first person shooters to pick this one up. :tup:

[FO]Crafty

heterolicious
Sep 22, 2003
I personally got a hard on for the phantom fighters man nothing beats flyng them 10 feet off the ground and dropping napalm over a base.

LordKhaine

I sing the body electric...
Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
I personally thought BFV was crap.

Performance dropped by a HUGE amount in it. I used to play vanilla BF1942 at high details and it ran nicely. I run BFV at virtually minimum details and the FPS is rather dodgey at the best of times. It also has the most ****ed up "balance" I've ever seen in any game. Take a certain US class... that has an M60 and a LAW. Yup.... one class has the best infantry weapon in the game, and also has anti tank powers too. The M60 can beat any other gun in the game, and is useful even running. It is very powerful, has a rate of fire twice that it has in real life. It also has a huge clip size and doesn't overheat. It also has very little recoil. It's also so accurate it can out snipe snipers.... wtf were they thinking??! Did they even test the balance at all? It's not uncommon to see HALF the US side running around with an M60.

It had some very nice features, but those can hardly overcome the serious downsides. My copy of BFV will sit virtually unused until some mods move to it.

[FO]Crafty

heterolicious
Sep 22, 2003
the m60 is easily countered by the ak47 in any game and the counter part to the ak47 is like the m60 and the performance is the same for me as it was with 1942 and every game I have been in yes a good major part of the US side is playing the m60 but guess what all it takes is a few guys who know how to play with the ak's and they lose every time.

LordKhaine

Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Congrats Crafty, for the largest sentence I've ever seen.

And the AK47 does not counter the M60. It has more kick, a smaller clip size and a slower rate of fire. How exactly does it "counter" the M60? And that poor lil' AK47 guy must be feeling a bit left out when he reaches for his grenades, only to see the M60 guy pull out a LAW or HK69.

Last edited:

[FO]Crafty

heterolicious
Sep 22, 2003
It counters with more acurracy and more power but since you seem to think spray and pray guns own you wouldn't know anything about that. And the LAW you are kidding me right?

Last edited:

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
I thought the vietaminese soldiers had anti-tank and anti-air rocket launchers as well? Atleast I keep seeing other players and the AI bots especially use them all the time.

phillys

Continuing the Legacy....
Aug 31, 2001
Home @ Malaysia
www.youth-fellowship.vze.com
I have BFV the 'alternate way' and to be honest, I really like whaT I see... It plays great against bots, which are a LOT smarter, and the game runs great on my 9600PRO, whereas, it aint as smooth as BF1942. When this game reaches this part of the world, I would get it :)

TheEndruu

Oct 22, 2002
I thought the AI was terrible and the game needed patching. But I'm not going to have any official opinions until I play it some more. I've been playing UT2004 a ton more, but when my pal Lance comes over tommorow we'll play a lot more BFV. If this thread is still around I might make a post.

EDIT: more

Last edited:
Y

Yellow5

Bad AI, but runs pretty smooth on my system. There are some serious balance issues that should be fixed. The M60 guys should at least have a speed penalty of some sort.

LordKhaine

Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
[FO]Crafty said:
It counters with more acurracy and more power but since you seem to think spray and pray guns own you wouldn't know anything about that. And the LAW you are kidding me right?

Give one person an AK47, give someone of an equal skill an M60. The M60 guy will win the most by far. This would be fine if the M60 had some drawback, but it simply doesn't. My point is that the current M60 means you can "spray and prey" like a quake player and beat a smart player. As for accuracy and power? From what I've seen the M60 wins in both those areas. Take a look at all the BFV forums, note how so many people say the M60 is overpowered. Why can't you just admit it is?

And whats the joke with the LAW? Would you rather use grenades against a tank? Then again, you do think it's ok for someone to run around aiming an M60 perfectly, with an rpg strapped to his back.

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
In BFV's defense, the game is by no means meant to be realistic in the least bit. From what I have played so far, I think EA Games was going for a game that is a lot more face paced and action oriented then BF1942. But... I do admit that the M60 needs some tweaking and is over powered.

Syri

Who are you calling short?
Aug 18, 2000
Nottingham, England
tool said:
You are also going to need a very powerful computer to run this. All the grass and trees puts a huge demand on even the most high end of computers. With the graphic detail up on high load times can take one to two mintes.
not so! i ran it on my athlon 1.4, 512mb ram, radeon 9200 (by no means able to be called a 'fast' pc) in 1024x768x32, with all details on medium, turn shadows off, and it runs nice, never had any slowdown.
overall, a pretty good game, nicely made, but i guess it does feel a bit 'more of the same' at times...

Deathmaker

Balanced
Mar 29, 2001
Manchester, England.
Dieing happens a lot in BF: Vietnam.....makes dropping napalm a huge chore.....If you go outside the boundries of the map you die.....

N00b! :p

It's a fantasic game imho (and in the opinion of the guys in the clan who've bought it) if you're prepared to spend some time tweaking and can put up with the bugs/omissions until a patch (or four) comes along. Napalm, heat seeking missiles, vehicle air lifts, thump guns and bouncing bettys rock. :tup:

I totally agree with the M60 being way too powerful/accurate; on some maps that class gets the standard equipment, the M60, either the LAW or the thump gun and a medi-kit. John Rambo, eat your heart out! I find the best way to counter it is to use one yourself, just take one off a corpse, there's usually plenty lying around as (as said before) half the American side is toting one. ;)

As for performance, Tool, if it takes you 2 minutes to load a map mate you really need to get more RAM. The games runs as smooth on my son's 1.2GHz T-Bird/512MB/Ti4800se as it does on my XP2600/1GB/Raddy 9800, albeit not as pretty (and damn, it's pretty).

8/10 hot carls from me too. :tup:

[MoD] BF:V server: 137.44.18.67:15567 Playing for fun. :)

Last edited:

LordKhaine

Dec 6, 1999
UK
Visit site
Performance is odd, some say it runs fast. But the other half say performance is awful. I run virtually minimum details, and I used to run BF1942 at high details (until I played mods, when I knocked it down a tad). I'm on an athlon xp 2100+ with 512ram and a Gf4 Ti4200. As I said... it's odd, seems luck defines how well BFV runs on your system.