Multiplayer game to dedicate to?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

What multiplayer game should I play exclusively?

• Total voters

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
So which one should I dedicate to, not playing any others?

Okay, maybe not exclusively, but still, I can't decide what game to commit to. Though I have a feeling with the older games or FPS games, it would get boring fast. :eek:

Yeah, I know there's nothing forcing me to commit to any single game, but with MP games I like to focus on one at a time and get really immersed into it for some reason.

Last edited:

Juggalo Kyle

Sup brah.
Mar 23, 2005
Northern Cali
My little brother has been hooked on League of Legends. I would suggest trying the free ones first.

Quake Live is awesome, but it gets old after a while.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah I played LoL like an addict for months. I don't have any experience with the other 2 though. I heard the other 2 are more skill based so I kinda wanted to try them or switch to them. In the end though I'm just being lazy and having y'all decide what game I play. :lol:

Tried Quake Live too once, and it just wasn't the same as Q3 or UT. Though I always liked the UT games moar. ><

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
Yeah, I kinda feel like I grew out of mmos after I played a ton of Lineage 2 and Anarchy Online and Everquest 2 back in the day. They truly are good time killers though, and if people suggest I try one then I definitely will.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
TF2. Both the community and the game ain't what it used to be but I still love it.

Arnox

UT99/2004 Mod Crazy
Mar 26, 2009
Beyond
UT simply because it keeps you sharp for other reflex/multitasking heavy games like TF2 or Halo.

SlayerDragon

LLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLADIES
Feb 3, 2003
Guild Wars 2 is shaping up to be pretty awesome, in my opinion. I'm looking forward to another beta weekend event. ArenaNet has made some nice changes to the standard MMORPG gameplay. Movement, aim, and position are more important than in games like World of Warcraft, though there are still targeted skills. Questing is not a static thing with their event system. You can enter an area and get involved immediately without needing to party with other players, you just contribute to the event and get rewarded based on your contribution. You can raise your reputation with NPCs in each zone and unlock rewards that way. The events are cyclical and branching. If you and the other people fighting fail to fend off the dragon attack or whatever, the town burns and another chain of events will be set in motion. Eventually it will get back to the original state, but it's a bit more compelling than collecting bear asses for people with punctuation floating over their heads. They've also made it their goal to break the holy trinity of tank, damage, healer. Each character has a basic set of five skills based on their equipped weapons (each class has a different skill set for available weapons) on the left side of the action bar. Dual wield means 1-3 are main hand, 4 and 5 are off hand. You can mix and match for different play styles. This means Warriors in particular get a boat load of options to choose from and they're all pretty cool. Slot 6 is your healing ability. It can be a self heal or one that affects your allies or similar. The Engineer class has an ability in slot 6 that switches your 1-5 abilities bandages and potions you can use on your self and allies. Engineer also has turrets and a flamethrower. It's pretty bad ass. Slots 7-9 are pulled from your list of class abilities that you unlock with skill points which you can gain by leveling up or completing challenges that are marked on the map in each zone. You have an extensive list to choose from but early on you only have slot 7 which you don't even unlock until level 5 I think. This is a lot like the first Guild Wars where you had to choose your whole action bar (10 skills I think?) before going into an action area. Skill 0 is elite skill or something like that, I am not sure what those are like or how and when to get them. Aside from all that, the game is ridiculously beautiful graphically and artistically.

This is from the opening cutscene, with one of the characters I made:
[SCREENSHOT]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541800134216619913/80E236BAC3B13FD7BA29CADF5738EB4AAD397F9B/[/SCREENSHOT]

This is an in-game shot. The background behind the guy there is a big dam. You can walk to it and climb up it and fight things on it. Really screenshots don't really do this game justice because it looks flat, but when you move toward that the details come in pretty smoothly and it's really nice to see.
[SCREENSHOT]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541800134216618091/E26348063D5B20F0BECE83FCAA979E9F1795DA0E/[/SCREENSHOT]

Just for laughs.
[SCREENSHOT]http://cloud.steampowered.com/ugc/541800134216621327/3E237BD9F8327F81193AF0A0DEF51FB53BFFAD04/[/SCREENSHOT]

I should have taken video. I was pretty sure I'd taken more screenshots using the Steam overlay but I can't find where it would save those screenshots since it saves them by game ID under Steam\userdata. Oh well.

Anyway, I'm looking forward to this one. They haven't given a release date as of yet but pre-orders are open so I don't think it will be later than fourth quarter this year. That's a lot more words than I mean to write.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
StarCraft II or League of Legends, in my opinion. I play a mix of the two.

About HoN and DotA 2 requiring more skill than LoL, this is true, but LoL is a lot more fun.

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
K, it looks like I'll be playing Diablo 3 until GW2 comes out, then I'll compare the 2 to see which one I want to play more.

If those both fail me, then I'll try moving back to SC2 or LoL.

I guess no one plays Minecraft anymore? We used to have a pretty active thread here. Maybe it was just a fad and after everyone built everything they wanted, they quit. :lol:

FlashIV

King of the Impossible
Oct 30, 2005
Illi-noise
I still dabble in Minecraft, got a cousin of mine into it and he hosts a server.

Have you tried Trackmania? It's free but I think it's one of those that you either love or just don't get what's fun about it. Most of the multiplayer community is in Europe but its still active in the US. I got pretty good at it and have won some decent prizes playing in LAN tournaments. I'll be racing in another tourney coming up in August, so that's my motivation to keep playing.

Rambowjo

Das Protoss
Aug 3, 2005
Tapeland
I play Minecraft on some modded servers, using the Tekkit launcher. It adds a whole lot of depth to the game, especially involving setting up automated systems and so on. On the server I'm on, a friend and I have set up a nuclear reactor, some rooms that generate matter for us to convert to other matter, and a bunch of cool machines. It's really quite fun, if you're into working with wiring and setting up weird systems. There are also a lot more ores (tin, silver, dark matter, tungsten, bronze, copper, uranium) and LOADS of new tools, weapons and other items.

If you want to try it out, get Tekkit launcher here http://www.technicpack.net/tekkit/
When you've got it set up, you just log in with your normal MC account. Before you log in, make sure you switch the package to "Tekkit" in the upper left corner. Normally it's set to "Technic" pack. You might also want to hit settings and up the RAM allocation to 1.5GB, that helps with some issues. You can join us on game.mcdaily.co.uk

Last edited:

SleepyHe4d

fap fap fap
Jan 20, 2008
I voted Minecraft. I only tried it recently but I find it quite relaxing.

Now, dedicating exclusively? Dunno about anyone here but I only have time to dedicate myself to one multiplayer game at a time as it is.

Yeah minecraft was unique and fun, but you don't have the experience of it getting old. After mining and building so much and with nothing to DO with the structures (the enemies are laughable and aimless), it got boring. Of course, I never really finished my castle and I really regret that.

I've been also thinking of playing Dwarf fortress. If minecraft had a mode like that where you can eventually lose, or enemies attack your stuff, it would be nice.

As for the dedicating thing, that's why I made this thread. I've been switching around trying different games recently, but I'd rather just get in depth with a single game.

Last edited:
Yeah minecraft was unique and fun, but you don't have the experience of it getting old. After mining and building so much and with nothing to DO with the structures (the enemies are laughable and aimless), it got boring. Of course, I never really finished my castle and I really regret that.

This will probably be the case for me, but I'm still in the enamored new toy phase and haven't hit that wall yet.