CTF-DevilsLair

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
Back to the DRAWING BOARD...

Thanks for your input :)
Now I've decided to really do something with the doors and kiss that fountain goodbye! I'll see what I can do about making some more room in the center rooms... maybe tunnel in a bypass each side to a connecting room.
GUI... I also appreciate the input as well :) It's easier to make a decision when more than 1 person says the same thing or has the same idea(s).
I'll have another release in the next day or so.

[OMEGA]_UK

blargewoodenbadger=true
Aug 2, 2003
Hey man, its good that you can take criticism, unlike certain people at certain sites *cough*NC*cough*, and build on it, instead of flaming back at people who know the Editor very well (GUI takes that crown for knowing the Ed).
However, dont feel you need to change the map entirely just because someone disagrees with an area; you made the map so you ultimately say what goes where. The fountain is kewl no doubt, its a good feature and a focal point of the map; just see what you can do to perhaps reduce the poly-count of it, although it'd be fairly tough-ish to do.
Have you totally ran around the map in rMode1 to check optimisation using Zones and Anti-Portals, as this is a beautiful tool to use? Have you used cull-distances on smeshes that are out of view at certain points in the map? I aint trying to teach ya to suck eggs here, cos' you no doubt have done this already. If you have got Anti-Portals, make sure they are in fact occluding and not sitting there doing nowt.
I will more than happily BETA test any releases for you and see what can be done to make ur map stand out amonst the crowd (cos thats what its about m8). Check out all of GUI's maps for some of the best examples of maps and construction/optimisation out there, and you'll see what I mean. Hes been mapping for a long time, so knows a thing ot two (;))
Anyhoo, I'll stop waffling: you get stuck give us a shout and we'll try to help or at least point you in the right direction m8y :)

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
Revamp is a MUST

After 8 yrs in the USMC... I can take more criticism you or GUI can dish :) Anywho, I gotta remove that fountain and redo the center rooms to try and channel the flow better. Not to mention, I can't get the FPS to increase more than 30 here. So it looks like some re-construction is necessary. If I do this right, It'll knock out all the issues I had previously.
I just got pounded at work (major launches for GM, WhirPool, SAAB) so I'll try to get this knocked out quick.
Thanks for all your professional help. It's good to know there's people like you in the UT community. Semper Fi!

[OMEGA]_UK

blargewoodenbadger=true
Aug 2, 2003
Hats off to ya m8 for serving....:)
I too have served (cept in the British Army - Royal Engineers), so criticism and high-personal standards are a priority to me. I believe that if you dont like something, you should be straight about it, but always be fair and give ur reasons.

Hurry up with the re-release m8 :D

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
version 1.60 almost ready

I've busted some serious butt over the weekend to get this thing re-vamped and might I say I'm fairly impressed how it turned out. I'm using projectors for the center room windows and they look really cool! Man, don't EVER hit Un-Do when playing with projectors might I add. I crashed the editor more times this weekend than I ever have playing with it I even went further and created a neat projector you’ll soon see floating around the map in places. I’ll release this version on the note that I’m still in progress on lighting in areas and fine tuning (optimising) where I can. I’ll try to get this release out tonight or in the morning latest so you can see the differences. My FPS is looking way better now but key areas still need some TLC. I’ll update the readme on what changes I made and submit.
On the service note… it’s good to see someone else got something out of being enlisted too other than getting paid to blow stuff up ;)

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
Sorry Guys

I'll get this release out by Monday... promise! I only get maybe an hour to mess with this map due to work (12hr days - 7 days now). I'm very close to finishing this puppy up and I'm getting VERY anxious!!! I know... I know... just send the damn map :)

ValleyFly

One Shot... One Kill!
Jun 5, 2001
Andover Ohio
Visit site
CTF-DevilsLair v1.60 is HERE!!!

CTF-DevilsLair v1.60
http://www.unrealplayground.com/download.php?mapid=4316

OK Guys... here it is finally! Tell me what you think and any ideas on lighting.

Ok... this I guess will still be in process considering real life hit harder than I thought:(
Still need to:
- finish tweaking lighting (in alot of places) possibly delete the globe lights... not diggin' the look of'em. (already DONE!)
- somehow optimize for more FPS but it's gettin' hard (DONE)
If you have any "professional suggestions", please don't hesitate to throw a few lashes:)

Last edited:

Gui

AD Cop
Feb 7, 2002
Mega-Tokyo
www.ozone4.com
Well, it looks better :) Really some nice improvements flow-wise aswell :)

Concerning lighting, I'd recommend to use less wide radii for light actors in order to get more contrasts between the lit and the dark areas of the maps. Did you check the DavidM lighting tut in the tutorials database? You can find it here.

Architecture's inequal IMO: there's some cool places such as the large corridor leading into the Flak room or the Amp areas but overally, the brushwork's still rather basic and cubicle so check Hourences' tutorial on this point as well as Bot_40's for a detailed method about how vertex edit brushes and get complex shapes from simple cubes :)

More sounds may be welcome too but it isn't really fundamental IMO. Anyway Hourences has a good tutorial on this point too: be sure to check it out and you'll get some ideas as well as a method to implement cool sound effects in your map :)

Keep up! :tup:

Rainman

The Boss
May 12, 2001
Washington
Visit site
I think ValleyFly has accumulated more posts in this single thread than I most likely will achieve in my life.

I will give the map a spin this weekend, then report back.

Because...You know....I know everyone is waiting on pins and needles for my feedback. :D

SkaarjMaster

enemy of time
Sep 1, 2000
Sarasota, FL
Nice atmosphere created and an evil lair it is with the fire, heads, spikes, skulls in the walls, artwork, brimstone, etc. The map is a bit tight and some stuff kinda can get in the way, but mostly decent flow in this one. Also, the gates is a good idea, but some don't seem to open right away. The bots are good, but mine can't defend.