Walmart/Radioshack/Other demo computer hijinks?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
I went to my local walmart today, and lo and behold, they had a display computer out.

Start-run-regedit. Nothing stopping me.

Network Neighborhood - Dang, not on the network :)

Modifying the desktop/screensaver - done.

Heck, I bet the BIOS isn't even password protected. And I had cover from the cameras in the little area it was at - I should have brought my live BSD CD and left it in the machine and let it reboot :)

So, what hijinks have you performed on these silly demo computers?

(btw, I'm not sure how to spell "hijinks" properly. :/ )

PhrozeN

And Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Sep 16, 2001
Winnipeg MB
www.redfire-mg.com
at Radio Shack or any comp I can get access to that has the internet on it, I download a program of mine that hides all the desktop icons, start menu, changes the desktop wallpaper to an MS paint wang, and it reverses the mouse buttons and disables CTRL + ALT + DEL. Next ill have to add NetBIOS sharing ;)

Lyndsay #2337

Squeaky Penguin
Aug 12, 2001
Visit site
This one page in a online catalogue, it would display a product image, from a valid url. ANY valid url.
Lets just say that things that you wouldn't expect to find in a computer cataloge have appeared :D

DiZASTiX

Teh Blob Master
On the mac computers I at compusa, i write a little bash script that says:

What is you name?
<you enter name>
I 0wn you <namehere>
I 0wn you <namehere>
I 0wn you <namehere>
I 0wn you <namehere>
...etc, etc.

Then I leave the terminal window open at the "what is you name" prompt. Also once I did "su" and the password was root :D

tool

BuFs #1 mom
Oct 31, 2001
Up my ass
hmm... well my linux knowledge so far is stuck to mandrake, and in that you have to type su - then whatever user name you want, or su - root to get root access. :)

Kaligraphic

Charles leChaud is my hero
Oct 22, 2002
Everywhere.
www.google.com
I always edit the minesweeper high scores. I change the easy/medium/hard high scores to 1/1/1, and the names to isn't/this/odd. Okay, so it's not that much, but, ah, well.

[UM]theswarm

Spork of the Apocalypse!
Sep 30, 2001
Everywhere
www.sporkoftheapocalypse.tk
My bro had a job in a Wal*Mart one time, where they had display computers showing off MSN8 or something. So he changed the homepage to a variant of this where the window flies around the screen, multiplies if you close it, all that fun stuff. The only way to stop it is to hit the reboot button on the case or pull the plug. Now, this was one of those craputers that HAD no reboot button, and the power cords were inaccesible. I don't know how, but he then rigged it to the PA system. Therefore, when someone turned the comp on when the sotre opened and launched MSN8, "YOU ARE AN IDIOT OH HO HO HO HO HO HO!!" went over the PA system for an hour before the idiots figured out how to turn the whole PA system off. :lol:

PhrozeN

And Apple a day keeps the doctor away
Sep 16, 2001
Winnipeg MB
www.redfire-mg.com
there was the one time where I fully installed a copy of Unreal Tournament I just bought at Future Shop and downloaded the 436 patch before the guy asked me what the hell do you think you are doing? Needless to say, I came back the next day and installed the patch and some maps and I started fragging away. Good times :D

When I'm at my local Comp USA I got to the Mac section where they have the big, new iMac hooked up to stereo surround sound speakers and download songs by Lil John and the Eastside Boyz. They're basically a rap group who only do songs with a ridiculous ammount of swearing and reference to sexual acts and drinking not to mention ear-splitting bass.

So I download some of those, put them in a playlist so that they play one after another, over and over again. Then I turn the volume all the way up as well as the bass and treble, switch the monitor plug with one of the other cords so that they think it's plugged in, hit enter, and away I walk.

Takes them hours to figure out first that the monitor actually isn't plugged in, then quite a long time to actually find it. All the while they can only spend so much time doing so before going deaf while all their customers leave due to the music.

:lol:

Thrash123

Obey Leash Laws
Jul 19, 1999
Nowhere to be found.
www.classicwfl.com
Heh, went to Staples today.

3 demo computers. I went up to one, checked to see if it had ANY security, nope. I decided I'd be nice, so I just opened up paint and made something that'd be sure to give a good headache...

Set it as the desktop background, tiled it.

They had the price in the screensaver, and I would have changed it from 699 to 99, however my mother was there watching me :) I can't wait to get back to college, where doing the REALLY fun stuff is cool with everybody :)