You're all ****ing Idiots...

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

CyanideTriscuit

UScript hack
Jun 25, 2001
The Triscuit Zone
Visit site
...and so am I. I honestly can't believe that nobody has come up with this idea yet. It's so simple, you're quite literally staring it in the face whenever you play INF TDM... but a go with the "search" button confirmed that nobody has gotten it yet.

Everybody knows that CTF, AS, and DOM game modes are fuX0r3d. Reinforcements are horribly unrealistic the way they are currently, and cutting reinforcements leads to 1 and 2 minute matches. The solution, so painfully obvious, is to do the exact same thing that was done to solve this problem in normal TDM.

Rounds.

Everybody spawns, gets 1 life, once the objective is complete or the time runs out, the winning team gets a point and everyone starts over.

CTF maps would need no additional changes, just have 1 flag capture win the round. For DOM maps, it would be neccessary to set the point goal to something rather low, like 30-50ish or so. I believe that number is server-side configurable anyway. AS maps would be different, 'cause one-time movers and stuff would have to be "un-moved"... so maybe it couldn't work too well with AS, but it sure as hell would work for DOM and CTF.

So.. whaddaya think?

Harpoon

Apr 27, 2001
Visit site
Then both teams would just camp. There would be no brave assaults on the enemy flag because they would get shot as soon as they go through the chokepoint. You need reinforcements.

CyanideTriscuit

UScript hack
Jun 25, 2001
The Triscuit Zone
Visit site
People wouldn't camp any more than they do in TDM games. People get shot going through choke points in TDM games too, but the smart ones know where the enemies will be and shoot them first.

Reinforcements just turn these game modes into normal TDM games with reinforcements, plus you have to do some extra legwork at the end (once your team has eliminated all of the enemy reincforcements) to capture the flag, get the AS objectives, etc.

The_Fur

Back in black
Nov 2, 2000
www.rlgaming.com
well in the case of CTF and DOM the best would be unlimited respawns. Since frags are no longer counted there is really no other incentive then capturing that flag. So you don't have to worry about people ignoring the flag and camping useless areas anymore.

jaunty

Apr 30, 2000
I know it doesn't have anything to do with anything, but i've GOT to point this out...

From the properties of Harpoon's "sig"

file:///C:/MyDocuments/sig.jpg

Sorry... I'll go now...

BTW, I agree with Eddie, I think reinforcements are fine.

CyanideTriscuit

UScript hack
Jun 25, 2001
The Triscuit Zone
Visit site
Have you actually played an online game with a large number of reinforcements? In CTF, it's totally impossible to take the flag until nearly all of the enemies (and their reinforcements) are killed, as the enemies respawn right next to their flag. Same with AS, as the defending team continually spawns near the places they are supposed to defend. In DOM, players from all teams spawn in random locations throughout the map. That's a big no-no if you want to play with any semblance of realism and teamplay. What's the point of holding a passage or choke point if an enemy could just spawn behind you and take you out?

Profe

Jun 12, 2001
Visit site
I thought that was how it worked already.
I havent played CTF online because of the lack of players but offline when you capture a flag everything is reset... at least thats what I get and I havent changed the config.

the vrrc

noexistant user
Jun 16, 2001
Visit site
I am now against reinforcements normally, but perhaps some type of area set off where the team could come back X Y's after their obliverated. (X=number, y=unit of time, as in 5 minutes, 10 seconds, etc.)

JaFO

bugs are features too ...
Nov 5, 2000
Originally posted by CyanideTriscuit
Have you actually played an online game with a large number of reinforcements? In CTF, it's totally impossible to take the flag until nearly all of the enemies (and their reinforcements) are killed, as the enemies respawn right next to their flag. Same with AS, as the defending team continually spawns near the places they are supposed to defend. In DOM, players from all teams spawn in random locations throughout the map. That's a big no-no if you want to play with any semblance of realism and teamplay. What's the point of holding a passage or choke point if an enemy could just spawn behind you and take you out?
Take a look at the Unreal Fortress maps, they've solved the basic problem :
the spawn-spots for the teams are in a few 'spawnrooms'.
On the good maps they're not too close to the entry or flagroom.

It's basically down to the design of the maps themselves.