Do you want Epic Games to hear your feedback?

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Answer: Tough luck, they will not.

Wrong. they delete, remove, and ignore your feedback EVEN IF you're not trying a be an, "asshat", as you say it. Post any criticism at all on epic forums, even without being an "asshat", i dare you. I'll be stunned if it even lasts an hour.

Hi,
here is a little example how well beloved WarTourist is doing his job.

Congratulations, all three of you, for missing the point of this thread. We're talking about these forums - not epic's forums. Click the link I left in the first post, read, and absorb.

haslo

Moar Pie!
Jan 21, 2008
Bern CH
www.haslo.ch
Congratulations, all three of you, for missing the point of this thread. We're talking about these forums - not epic's forums. Click the link I left in the first post, read, and absorb.

You know how it is, people read the title and skip the posts in order to add their own two cents - regardless if they have anything to do with the topic in the first place, or if what they have to say has been said a dozen times in the thread already :)

subset

Nali Wardog
Feb 4, 2008
Austria
Congratulations, all three of you, for missing the point of this thread.
Sorry, my fault.
But propaganda threads should be made clear.
With notes like "Advertisement, please act in a kindly manner"

"Free thought can`t be bought" States Of Mind - Senser

Cheers

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Sorry, my fault.
But propaganda threads should be made clear.
With notes like "Advertisement, please act in a kindly manner"

"Free thought can`t be bought" States Of Mind - Senser

Cheers
I'm glad you think this thread is propaganda. Maybe I'll get a paycheck from Epic for once.

Noobnugget

Jan 10, 2006
It's irrelevant which forums we're talking about, it could be here, their own, or some random ones one the other side of the world. The bottom line is they shun off pretty much any kind of feedback unless it's blindly praising them. You don't have to be a "Asshat" to be shunned off like they do, regardless of where.

And i read you're little "quote" just fine. All wartourist said was how quickly they go to ignoring the community.

You know how it is, people read the title and skip the posts in order to add their own two cents - regardless if they have anything to do with the topic in the first place, or if what they have to say has been said a dozen times in the thread already :)
Lol.. kiss ass much?

BradG

Jan 20, 2008

lol you can take a horse to water but you cant make it drink :D

Jonathan

Mar 19, 2006
I think the 99% of my "complaints" about UT3 would be solved if,

(1) The post-processing could be tweaked similar to how UT2k4 was very tweakable, you could uncompress textures/lighting, tweak numerous features for performance or image quality, etc. Also, I think motion-blur should be an option. By default motion blur works in UnrealEd if playing a level without a UT3 prefix (i.e.-no DM-, CTF-, etc.).
(2) The language filter in the options actually worked.

Last edited:

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
(1) The post-processing could be tweaked similar to how UT2k4 was very tweakable, you could uncompress textures/lighting, tweak numerous features for performance or image quality, etc. Also, I think motion-blur should be an option. By default motion blur works in UnrealEd if playing a level without a UT3 prefix (i.e.-no DM-, CTF-, etc.).
The engines are very different... it's quite possible that for performance reasons -- several post-processing effects were daisy-chained and all clumped together.

Sometimes developers need to do stuff like that... assume you have one thing to speed up another... etc.

hal

Dictator
Staff member
Nov 24, 1998
------->
www.beyondunreal.com
Perhaps hijacking a thread such as this to discuss frustration on another forum perfectly illustrates the actual problem.
Zynthetic wins.

Guys, this thread isn't for actual feedback on the game. You can do that (good or bad) in any thread, provided you act like a reasonable person.

I'm also handing out a special :y5: award to Noobnugget who still doesn't get it, so I'll spell it out again to anyone still confused.

My original post in this thread is strictly addressing posting behavior on this forum. I linked to WarTourist's post that made it clear they read this forum as well... minus, of course, anyone acting like an idiot or just complaining about the same thing endlessly.

I do not care to discuss the way Epic runs its forums. If you've been banned there, you've had your chance to have your say and you blew it. If you were wrongfully banned in your opinion, well I'm sorry - we don't run that forum. If you come here and repeat your behavior then you'll just get ignored. If you want a chance to give feedback, then your only shot is to do it in a levelheaded way.

This forum is not a dumping ground for those with an axe to grind.

Phopojijo

A Loose Screw
Nov 13, 2005
Canada
I do not care to discuss the way Epic runs its forums. If you've been banned there, you've had your chance to have your say and you blew it. If you were wrongfully banned in your opinion, well I'm sorry - we don't run that forum. If you come here and repeat your behavior then you'll just get ignored. If you want a chance to give feedback, then your only shot is to do it in a levelheaded way.
Actually should also mention that I've been warned at Epic's forum... I PM'd Flak explaining what I meant by the post that was warned... and he reversed it when he found out what I was really trying to say.

Mistakes happen -- try rationally discussing it.

Unless of course you were actually flaming and deserved it o_O' Can't help you there :p

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
imho, stress on the h

My feedback about Unreal Tournament 3 is pretty generic (like the gameplay, don't like the menu, not enough people playing makes me not want to play, yadda yadda), so I feel like saying anything more would only exacerbate issues.

I'm actually more shocked and disappointed about the banning of people who post scathing but valid criticisms about Unreal Tournament 3 that aren't even posted on their website[/i]. IMO this does nothing but hurt the community's outlook on any company rather than help issues at hand. Also, some forumers who dislike the game actually have really well thought-out points to make that may actually improve the game if acted upon. Constructive criticism should not be rebuked simply because it comes with a sardonic tone.

Anuban

Your reward is that you are still alive
Apr 4, 2005
Actually should also mention that I've been warned at Epic's forum... I PM'd Flak explaining what I meant by the post that was warned... and he reversed it when he found out what I was really trying to say.

Mistakes happen -- try rationally discussing it.

Unless of course you were actually flaming and deserved it o_O' Can't help you there :p

Flak is a female .. a blonde at that. :)

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
My feedback about Unreal Tournament 3 is pretty generic (like the gameplay, don't like the menu, not enough people playing makes me not want to play, yadda yadda), so I feel like saying anything more would only exacerbate issues.

I'm actually more shocked and disappointed about the banning of people who post scathing but valid criticisms about Unreal Tournament 3 that aren't even posted on their website[/i]. IMO this does nothing but hurt the community's outlook on any company rather than help issues at hand. Also, some forumers who dislike the game actually have really well thought-out points to make that may actually improve the game if acted upon. Constructive criticism should not be rebuked simply because it comes with a sardonic tone.
It will be, though, because presentation is everything.

Do you think that if you had a big presentation at work and throughout the whole thing you were making digs at your boss about how poorly he was doing things and how terribly certain aspects of your job were handled that he would take you seriously? You'd be handily thrown out.

That's really no different than what happens here or on any other company's forums. Just because companies like 2k and GPG and Blizzard don't delete and ban like crazy doesn't mean they are actually paying attention to the people that act like that. For every person being a moron, there is a person to replace them who will make the same point in a more levelheaded way and get Epic to actually listen to their complaint. It makes perfectly logical sense.

Lethargy

Darmok and Jalad at Tanagra
Feb 24, 2006
It will be, though, because presentation is everything.

Do you think that if you had a big presentation at work and throughout the whole thing you were making digs at your boss about how poorly he was doing things and how terribly certain aspects of your job were handled that he would take you seriously? You'd be handily thrown out.

That analogy may be a bit flawed. Epic should not be hierarchically above their players, the devs do not have the relationship of a boss and a worker. The developers of a game are not above the fans, and should not see themselves as such unless they want huge problems with their fanbase. They have jobs and do them the same as everyone else, their job just happens to be making the game. If Epic does see themselves as being above their fans, which some recent evidence points to, then it is THAT that is the real problem, above everything else. Not consolization, not rushed development, if that's the case, it'd be that they have let success go to their heads and simply think that they are so far above the community that there is no reason to listen to them if they find it unpleasant. I've pretty much given up on UT3, and am now pretty much only playing Audiosurf, and I'm finding it unbelievable how they interact with there community. They actually listen, and they actually care (outwardly, I'm not making conclusions on what's going on behind the scenes one way or the other). I forgot developers could be like that.

Last edited:

BobTheBeheader

Aug 31, 2005
Warshington State
@Hal
Yeah, it seems like since the crash there is nothing but flamin trolls on here anymore. You go from one post that is like 2 years old talking about how much the person is looking forward to it, and then right next to it is a new one flaming about something. Kinda funny, really disorienting.
I find it funny, how after that totally reasonable post Hal makes, pleading with people to be serious and take the ranting and whining elsewhere, you go right ahead and continue the little tradition, trolling away. Looks like you caught Brizz in it... good job.