Map navigation

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
I've been playing UT2004 last night, and it felt like being Mr.UberSurf man. It made map navigation quite easier than just dodging once like in UT3. And felt more comfortable too.

So this is what I'm wondering here, why all the retail maps are cramped to death? To make navigation easy? Or balance every weapons? (Like if flak or rockets are not enough) Because TBH, I really miss some of the open spaces, but then having them in UT3 would make the whole map navigation boring?

Your thoughts?

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
I like them, but without scale screw-ups... those were annoying to see in my opinion.

Last edited:

Slainchild

Gold Member
Apr 3, 2004
London, Ontario
www.slainchild.com
I used to use single dodges 75% of the time in UT2004 anyway, only DD's if I actually needed to get somewhere fast. I think that was the point of them anyway.

Maps are probably cramped so you can escape from enemies around corners quicker with a gamepad.

Edit: Or the ld's overcompensated for the removal of dd's

Last edited:

GGA_Nate

I train people, not dogs.
Jan 20, 2008
Cincinnati, OH
www.myspace.com
I think Epic may have overcompensated for UT2004's long distance gameplay with some of the retail deathmatch maps like Biohazard and Diesel. I actually prefer it the UT3 way, it's only a pain when you're playing one of the aforementioned on a crowded 16 people server.

Trynant

Manic Brawler
Jan 31, 2002
Quiet Island
trynant.wordpress.com
Hammer + 16 players * small map = You have won the match.

I think Epic may have overcompensated for UT2004's long distance gameplay with some of the retail deathmatch maps like Biohazard and Diesel. I actually prefer it the UT3 way, it's only a pain when you're playing one of the aforementioned on a crowded 16 people server.

It's far less painful when you drop all those "good weapons" and soley stick to your impact hammer.

Aside from certain levels, I find most maps scaled about right, and have cramped and un-cramped areas spread about more-or-less equally. Then again, maybe I have to play another UT2004 stock map again to be sure.

Last edited: