The most amazing thing since I stepped out of the isv kran

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
The most amazing thing since I stepped out of Vortex Rikers

I knew that this was going to be good, but words cannot express my amazement.

[m]http://youtu.be/OZmRt8gCsC0[/m]
[m]http://youtu.be/MOvfn1p92_8[/m]

Last edited:

BillyBadAss

Strong Cock of The North
May 25, 1999
Tokyo, JP
flickr.com
Let's not lie to ourselves. The most amazing thing was when you were about 11 and figured out how to make yourself cum. That's a day everyone remembers.:D

DeathBooger

Malcolm's Sugar Daddy
Sep 16, 2004
I'd call it evolutionary. All the pieces are now in place to do hyper-realistic rendering in the future when hardware gets to that capability, but I wasn't blown away by the tech demo since that stuff has been in Crytek for years now. I'm more interested in editor enhancements.

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
My favorite part is when he goes into visual studio to build, and the game implements the changes of the build when it's done while you are playing without stopping the game or anything.

UBerserker

old EPIC GAMES
Jan 20, 2008
My favorite part is when he goes into visual studio to build, and the game implements the changes of the build when it's done while you are playing without stopping the game or anything.

All just in Editor simulation mode.

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
I really like the more natural lighting scheme. The transmissivity, emissivity, and diffusion aspects of the engine will really make it much more realistic. What makes it cool is that it appears to be procedural and dynamic, and not "faked" and set in stone.

And I LOVE how the smoke, etc is now particle-and-volumetric-based instead of sprites. I can see powerful weather-related applications with this feature. Can anyone say realistic dynamic clouds and tornadoes?

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
The editor walkthrough for UE4 was wonderful, but if we're going to talk about impressive looking realtime in-engine demos, Square's new engine takes the cake.

[M]http://youtu.be/orzja7cn9MA[/M]

TWD

Cute and Cuddly
Aug 2, 2000
Salt Lake City UT
members.lycos.co.uk
I thought square's video was kinda hokey. I felt like square can do better cinematics than that. But we don't really know anything about the tech behind it. So to me it just looks like a demo with high polycount. Epic clearly explains what they are doing that couldn't be done before. Unreal is doing all this stuff on the fly. No more map building or clever tricks. That is certainly a revolutionary change. Add to that the fact that they're demoing it with you just walking around in the editor on a GeForce GTX 680 system. They are making a huge technical leap here. Much bigger than the one they made with UE3.

Last edited:

Zxanphorian

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
Jul 1, 2002
PA USA
Visit site
The editor walkthrough for UE4 was wonderful, but if we're going to talk about impressive looking realtime in-engine demos, Square's new engine takes the cake.

[M]http://youtu.be/orzja7cn9MA[/M]

While looking impressive, I feel that demo was way to scripted (just as the first video of UE4 in this thread) to be applicable to true real-time gameplay. It may be real-time, but how specialized are the effects in the video (such as how easily are they reproduced without copy-paste or devoting a lot of time on a similar effect). How robust is this technology, and how easy is it to use? Like what TWD is saying, UE4 seems to make universal effects easily reproducible and easily modifiable.

I need a comparable video to the second video in this thread to answer these questions.

Last edited:

dragonfliet

I write stuffs
Apr 24, 2006
Sure, but the square video ISN'T a cinematic, it is a real-time demo, exactly like the first vid you posted from UE4, only way better looking. And I agree that the walkthrough for UE4 looks amazing, but it isn't revolutionary, really. CryEngine has been doing the same thing for a while now with its on-the-fly, realtime editing. So yeah, UE4 shall be awesome, and the editor is great, but it's just... you know, more of the stuff we've been seeing with moar pixel goodness.