Nexuiz: THQ's attempt to "reinvent Arena FPS gameplay""

• Two Factor Authentication is now available on BeyondUnreal Forums. To configure it, visit your Profile and look for the "Two Step Verification" option on the left side. We can send codes via email (may be slower) or you can set up any TOTP Authenticator app on your phone (Authy, Google Authenticator, etc) to deliver codes. It is highly recommended that you configure this to keep your account safe.

NRG

Master Console Hater
Dec 31, 2005
I see this is also for consoles according to the official site. Any word on cross platform play? That would be some hilarious pubstomping fun.

ekimris

Sep 1, 2009
I noticed this released, has anyone had a chance to play it? Thoughts, first impressions?

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
No, and it is also a very poor "competitive" shooter. It has too much graphics effects and not enough smooth mouse control.

Kantham

Fool.
Sep 17, 2004
There's still a few of those devs out there that needs to move their marketing solution to F2P and micro-transactions.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
This game wouldn't work as F2P. Microtransactions are not good for a competitive shooter.

Sir_Brizz

Administrator
Staff member
Feb 3, 2000
Tribes is better but I still think the microtransactions ruin the "competitive" factor.

ambershee

Nimbusfish Rawks
Apr 18, 2006
Nomad
sheelabs.gamemod.net
They do indeed, but it doesn't cost too much to unlock only one set of items you want. Want to unlock a pile and it'll set you back a fortune. You can also only rent servers through HiRez, and they aren't cheap.

Kerr Avon

Jan 22, 2008
I've tried the freeware PC version, and it does nothing for me. I'm just so glad we still have UT1999 and it's huge (and ever increasing) range of great mods and levels. Even though I mostly play offline (the bots are great!) it's one of the games I can keep coming back to, and helps me keep cheerful even though FPS games (my favourite genre) are in a real rut right now.

I also really like UT2004, but not as much as the original game. I'm not too keen on UT3, and I don't like UT2003 at all. Bottom of the heap, though, is Unreal Champonship on the XBox. Conversely, Unreal Championship 2 on the XBox is in some ways my favourite Unreal game, as it does so much right, improving even on UT1999 in some areas. Some very poor design decisions stop it from being definitely my favourite though (who thought Overdose or Nali Slaughter would be fun? Why keep the limit of two weapons when using the "Classic UT" mutator? And why can't you alter the speed of the game, or the power of the weapons). And why UC2 was never ported to the PC, I'll never know. The mods for it would have been incredible.

I have one major problem with this game so far: Health regen. That has no place in an arena shooter.
That aside i would love to see this game turn out great and be sucessfull.

Yep, I hate regenerating health. It's just another curse of modern day FPS.

shoptroll

Jan 21, 2004
And why UC2 was never ported to the PC, I'll never know.

I think because they were running some XBox exclusive shader technology or something? There was a fork of Unreal Engine 2 specifically for the XBox and UC2.

That said, I'm still surprised Epic never bothered to port it to Unreal Engine 2 for PC. However, I'm guessing they didn't want to divide the player base even further.